• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump leading in 5 key swing states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure historically a lot of wars have been land grabs, but WW2 was not one of them. There were a lot of underlying sources of conflict there. And while yes, if the invaders agree to leave then most wars would end, there's often an underlying unresolved source or sources of conflict that prevent that from happening. This is just Putin wanting to expand Russia's influence. It's essentially a conquest. If Ukraine were to give in to Russia's demands, another country would be the next victim on the list, and that would happen again and again until they were met with resistance.

So yes, you are correct that it's a war on paper but hopefully you get the point that I'm trying to make.

Reactions: Xzi

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure historically a lot of wars have been land grabs, but WW2 was not one of them. There were a lot of underlying sources of conflict there. And while yes, if the invaders agree to leave then most wars would end, there's often an underlying unresolved source or sources of conflict that prevent that from happening. This is just Putin wanting to expand Russia's influence. It's essentially a conquest. If Ukraine were to give in to Russia's demands, another country would be the next victim on the list, and that would happen again and again until they were met with resistance.

So yes, you are correct that it's a war on paper but hopefully you get the point that I'm trying to make.
The underlying conflict in WW2 was Hitler wanting more land for Germans, and the Japanese wanting more land for the Japanese (Manchuria)

Ofc there are other issues also, but it was primarily a war for land

In fact WW1 was much less about land than WW2

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The underlying conflict in WW2 was Hitler wanting more land for Germans, and the Japanese wanting more land for the Japanese (Manchuria)

Ofc there are other issues also, but it was primarily a war for land

In fact WW1 was much less about land than WW2
That's not the whole WW2 context. It was also Ukraine losing territory to Russia. Same for USSR intromission in Latin America trying to take over government through their KGB- Leninist operators.

There is a big difference in the last sentence, as you'd find out they moved from Leninism, they're still Marxists, yet they're progressive, as in the collective of minorities and subduing entire countries through Amnesty International / United Nations, invasion and taking Armed Forces with them opposing Communism, through the Constitution and their 2030 laws.

By the way, sources are historical, veridical and part of our Armed Forces in Chile, in the same Twitter username quoted earlier.
Just scroll down and read.

Also, they've slowly erased part of what caused WW2 in first place: Communism. And can be easily proven due to current chilean history books pushed by the government, lying about facts that happened 50 years ago, and making laws ensuring to force them upon citizens, otherwise they'll go to jail. A trend linked to current world events dealing with misinformation and propaganda.

Also, the same leninist guerrilla paid by KGB is now in positions of power in Chile: Senate, Presidents, Ministers and United Nations agenda slowly giving up chilean territories to China. Carmen Hertz for instance, had cuban military orders and led to murders of innocent chilean people (the real Human Rights here don't apply). It's all there.

Last edited by Coto,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hilarious because according to this MAGA, Biden is both an incompetent senile gaff machine while also incredibly corrupt and calculated.

True. But Democrats engage in that same paradox wrt: Trump too. He's a bumbling fuckup / He's a devious mastermind.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How can he do that and with whom would he be arguing?

Even calling this a war is a stretch because it's so one-sided. It's more of an invasion with Russia being the only party at fault, not Biden, Ukraine or anyone else.

What more do you think he can do? He literally has no power. Half of Congress is controlled by MAGA and SCOTUS is full of Trump/McConnell picks.

I sympathize with you but there's nothing Biden can legally do about most of this right now. Voters need to give democrats more power.
The reason why I bought these up was because it was a selling point to Biden that trans rights (and lgbt+) would be protected and that without Trump, we wouldn’t see these kinds of issues. The fact that these promises have been empty is why I’ve given up on politicians as a whole. It’s either having my life loudly interrupted by morons wishing to cause me harm for simply existing or quietly being “supported” by cowards unwilling to make actual progress. Simply put, I don’t think any of the two sides has the interests of the people in mind. Biden’s empty platitudes have become as frustrating and annoying as Trump’s 3AM toilet tweets but without the entertainment factor

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one has called Trump a devious mastermind except MAGAs with that 4D chess nonsense that they'd peddle

Well, you're wrong about that, and you're probably aware of it. But here, in this special tiny place on the internet, you can always be right, or at least think you are.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, you're wrong about that, and you're probably aware of it. But here, in this special tiny place on the internet, you can always be right, or at least think you are.
C'mon dude, he comes off even less intelligent than GWB. I've heard liberals and leftists acknowledge that he knows how to appeal to a certain crowd, but it doesn't take a genius to leverage tribalism, sometimes all it takes is being the loudest jackass in the room.

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C'mon dude, he comes off even less intelligent than GWB. I've heard liberals and leftists acknowledge that he knows how to appeal to a certain crowd, but it doesn't take a genius to leverage tribalism, sometimes all it takes is being the loudest jackass in the room.
The worst part about it is the tribalism is more effective than any sort of grand master plan could ever be. We see it time and time again in every authoritarian movement. Something about Trump has evoked an underlying hatred in a large part of society that is completely separate from Trump, he's just the convenient vessel.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I made no assertion as to whether Trump was intelligent or not. I said there have been critics who've claimed he's an imbecile, and there've been critics who alluded to him being a devious mastermind a la Dr. Evil. That other poster said nobody's ever said such a thing.

As for GWB ... I do think Trump exceeds that bar. Hell, I outscored GWB on the SAT and I didn't have the benefit of the primo prep school education, tutors, and what-not. Rinky dink public school upbringing in a die machinist's house for me.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I said there have been critics who've claimed he's an imbecile, and there've been critics who alluded to him being a devious mastermind a la Dr. Evil. That other poster said nobody's ever said such a thing.
I've never heard any critic of his call him a mastermind or anything close. The danger is in the fact that he can draw so much support despite being incoherent and self-contradictory.

Reactions: KingVamp

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I made no assertion as to whether Trump was intelligent or not. I said there have been critics who've claimed he's an imbecile, and there've been critics who alluded to him being a devious mastermind a la Dr. Evil. That other poster said nobody's ever said such a thing.

As for GWB ... I do think Trump exceeds that bar. Hell, I outscored GWB on the SAT and I didn't have the benefit of the primo prep school education, tutors, and what-not. Rinky dink public school upbringing in a die machinist's house for me.

Can you show an example of this? I've seen the vast majority of critics pointing to his poor decision-making and obvious problems as greater concerns. If anything, it seems the vast majority of his critics are very much aware that he isn't playing 4D chest and that he is just grossly incompetent.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We got more positive changes with Biden than with Trump, even if we didn't get everything. That said, even if Biden literally did nothing, would still be better than Trump and his clones.

Reactions: RetroGen and Xzi

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Polls mean very little, particularly a year before the actual vote happens. While many places try their best to get a representative slice of the population it's always just that, a small slice of the population.

Never listen to the polls, go vote yourself directly, and get everyone else you know that is eligible to vote as well.

exactly this...What millenial or Gen Z'er is going to answer their phones...let alone from an unknown number?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exactly this...What millenial or Gen Z'er is going to answer their phones...let alone from an unknown number?
Only 10% of polling data is still collected solely by that method

Sure there may be some skew, but this is pretty worrying, and in the past such polling underestimated R gains

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a friend who contracts with the DNC and has access to more accurate internal polling. They're not the sort to sugar coat and shill for bad people on their side either, they've shared a lot of information about really nasty corruption and horrible behavior in their ranks (some from people you would expect, some from people you wouldn't). Their data has proven to be tremendously more accurate than any of the publicly shared stuff. They accurately predicted results since 2016, both with the presidency and the senate/house. This includes the midterms where they were spot on about the senate/house results. And they also knew Hillary Clinton was going to lose the electoral college in 2016.

For what it's worth, my friend isn't worried about Biden's chances at all in 2024. This sort of confirmed my own suspicions, and i'm not even a fan of Biden myself (though he's been more tolerable than I expected despite congressional gridlock). Biden is expected to win in 2024 and also potentially do better than he did in 2020. He's actually won over a lot of progressives who were skeptical of him at first. And his pro-union stances have also endeared him with both lefties as well as a wide variety of blue collar workers. He'll also have an incumbency advantage now. Granted, we're still a year away and anything can shift the tides.

The midterms are also pointing towards Democrats being much stronger than media/polls claim. It wasn't anywhere near the sort of red wave blowout everyone was predicting. Midterms are usually a bloodbath for unpopular presidents, but the Republican gains were quite lackluster. They won the house by a slim margin (most of which wasn't even because of popularity of their candidates over Dems, but rather gerrymandering), but lost a couple of seats in the senate so that Dems upped their majority a bit there. Democrats have also been doing extremely well in a bunch of local and special elections lately. With abortion stances in particular having devastating effects on the Republican party, far moreso than I personally expected (but again was predicted by my source).

It should be noted that public polls are manipulated by shoddy questions and cherry picked demographics. This isn't new either, a ton of polls were dead wrong about both 2016 and 2020 elections. But there's also outright intentional dishonesty from the media as well. Corporate media actually love Trump because he was a ratings factory for them. But ever since Biden was elected, there's been a massive dip in ratings. And that isn't acceptable to investors or executives who demand constant ever increasing unsustainable growth into infinity. He's actually very sorely missed by the executives running all of these conglomerates. They want him to win in 2024. Regardless of what they pretend otherwise or whether they're perceived as conservative or liberal leaning.

Reactions: Taleweaver and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If yesterday's ballot results are anything to go by, polling remains fairly inaccurate. Republicans were very confident going into the day, but access to abortion and marijuana legalization are clearly things people are willing to cross party line to vote for.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If yesterday's ballot results are anything to go by, polling remains fairly inaccurate. Republicans were very confident going into the day, but access to abortion and marijuana legalization are clearly things people are willing to cross party line to vote for.
Tbf, they tried that 60 votes nonsense in August, since even Republicans thought it had a good chance of passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated