Votes: 550 60.0%
  • Perfect?

Votes: 160 17.5%

• Total voters
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I get the GodMode thing working? Is it a .cia I install and run on my console or can I do on my PC too? Got a really outdated firmware (no luma).
Ah, another oldie. What type of homebrew entry or custom firmware are you using? You're going to need to update your stuff.

Are you a Gateway 3DS flashcart user? rxTools? ReiNand? Cakes? Ninj/Sound/Menu/*hax?

Francesca

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Ah, another oldie. What type of homebrew entry or custom firmware are you using? You're going to need to update your stuff.

Are you a Gateway 3DS flashcart user? rxTools? ReiNand? Cakes? Ninj/Sound/Menu/*hax?

I think I made an attempt to set up Luma ages ago but it didn't finish. I still have the Roxas menu when I load my console into cfw.

Maybe updating would help me longterm too, but I remember hacking without GodMode, any idea what I could've used? I'd really appreciate just being able to get the files out of my .cia and editing right now, and leave the dilemma of whether I should update my cfw until some time occasion (I'm very bad at following the instructions on how to do it).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I made an attempt to set up Luma ages ago but it didn't finish. I still have the Roxas menu when I load my console into cfw.

Maybe updating would help me longterm too, but I remember hacking without GodMode, any idea what I could've used? I'd really appreciate just being able to get the files out of my .cia and editing right now, and leave the dilemma of whether I should update my cfw until some time occasion (I'm very bad at following the instructions on how to do it).

You'll have to hack your 3DS with whichever method is available for your 3DS firmware. You'll want to put Luma3DS v9.1, boot9strap v1.3, and GodMode9 v1.7.1 on both your SD card and CTRNAND drive. If you have an EmuNAND or RedNAND setup, ditch that and switch over to using SysNAND.
I can't help you figure out how to extract and encrypt *.cia in rxTools as that's something I'm not familiar with and should be retired from use. If you need help hacking your 3DS with modern custom firmware, head on over to:

Reactions: Francesca

gaberilde

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Oris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I keep having the system crash when I try to rebuild a randomized cia of Ultra Moon. Am I doing something wrong? The normal game without randomizations works fine.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I keep having the system crash when I try to rebuild a randomized cia of Ultra Moon. Am I doing something wrong? The normal game without randomizations works fine.
I've never been able to use this program to rebuild large CIAs successfully. It works like a charm for things up to 2G but anything over that it either crashes, or produces an incomplete file. Personally, I always rebuild to a .3DS and then convert that to a CIA with simple 3dS to CIA converter. You don't need xorpads or anything if you dump your bootrom into the directory. Never had a problem doing it that way.

Oris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never been able to use this program to rebuild large CIAs successfully. It works like a charm for things up to 2G but anything over that it either crashes, or produces an incomplete file. Personally, I always rebuild to a .3DS and then convert that to a CIA with simple 3dS to CIA converter. You don't need xorpads or anything if you dump your bootrom into the directory. Never had a problem doing it that way.

Can you link a tutorial for that? I feel like I've looked up how to do that before and couldn't find a good tutorial for it.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you link a tutorial for that? I feel like I've looked up how to do that before and couldn't find a good tutorial for it.
I don't think there is a tutorial per se. The program release page of simple 3ds to cia converter is sort of the tutorial itself. It's a simple program.

Oris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there is a tutorial per se. The program release page of simple 3ds to cia converter is sort of the tutorial itself. It's a simple program.
Alright, I'll look into it, thanks. Are there any issues or special things I have to do if I want to change the special shops? Before I had to transfer certain files to a specific folder on the SD card, do I need to do that for rebuilding a 3ds file?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'll look into it, thanks. Are there any issues or special things I have to do if I want to change the special shops? Before I had to transfer certain files to a specific folder on the SD card, do I need to do that for rebuilding a 3ds file?
Special shops? You mean like EXEFS edits through PK3DS, like changing pokemart items and stuff? For those you need to either build an update .cia with the edits applied, or merge the EXEFS from the latest update with the EXEFS from the original dump. Those edits are stored in the code.bin which is overwritten with updates.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why do you want to build a .CIA instead of using layered FS if I may ask?

Oris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Special shops? You mean like EXEFS edits through PK3DS, like changing pokemart items and stuff? For those you need to either build an update .cia with the edits applied, or merge the EXEFS from the latest update with the EXEFS from the original dump. Those edits are stored in the code.bin which is overwritten with updates.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why do you want to build a .CIA instead of using layered FS if I may ask?
I thought it might be more convenient for me to have a cia file. Less time consuming to find each individual piece of info I changed. But apparently not. lol

The shop info is stored in a .cro file, I know that much. I just didn't know if I had to do anything different if I wanted to rebuild a file with those changes. I may end up having to do layeredFS just because I feel like that is going to be easier in the long run.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it might be more convenient for me to have a cia file. Less time consuming to find each individual piece of info I changed. But apparently not. lol

The shop info is stored in a .cro file, I know that much. I just didn't know if I had to do anything different if I wanted to rebuild a file with those changes. I may end up having to do layeredFS just because I feel like that is going to be easier in the long run.
Well .cro files are usually updated as well so the same would apply. You'd have to grab the .cro from the latest update and replace the original one with that one.

Honestly, layered FS is a lot less work Lol. Once you edit the garc files, you just copy them over to your SD card in the appropriate directories and turn on the patching option in Luma. Then you can toggle it on/off when you feel like it as well, and update the garcs without extracting/rebuilding the .CIA everytime you want to change something. It's a hell of a lot less work that's for sure haha.

Oris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well .cro files are usually updated as well so the same would apply. You'd have to grab the .cro from the latest update and replace the original one with that one.

Honestly, layered FS is a lot less work Lol. Once you edit the garc files, you just copy them over to your SD card in the appropriate directories and turn on the patching option in Luma. Then you can toggle it on/off when you feel like it as well, and update the garcs without extracting/rebuilding the .CIA everytime you want to change something. It's a hell of a lot less work that's for sure haha.
How do you turn it off? Just turn off patching in Luma?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you turn it off? Just turn off patching in Luma?
Yup. Granted you either have to reboot the console or enter system settings to do so on the config menu there is no real-time toggle for layered FS with Luma. The NTR layered FS that worked that way are far outdated.

Oris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Granted you either have to reboot the console or enter system settings to do so on the config menu there is no real-time toggle for layered FS with Luma. The NTR layered FS that worked that way are far outdated.
Speaking of outdated, I need to see if any of my apps and stuff are outdated. I've been trying to use Luma's built in cheat system, too, but it doesn't like to work. Crashes my games.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of outdated, I need to see if any of my apps and stuff are outdated. I've been trying to use Luma's built in cheat system, too, but it doesn't like to work. Crashes my games.
It works great if the cheats are written for the specific version of the game you're using and they are legit. I have more than a few that I use that don't crash the system that aren't in the Sharkive DB. Like Metroid Samus Returns, Super Mario Bros. 3, and a few others.

Oris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works great if the cheats are written for the specific version of the game you're using and they are legit. I have more than a few that I use that don't crash the system that aren't in the Sharkive DB. Like Metroid Samus Returns, Super Mario Bros. 3, and a few others.
I need to find a good source. I was able to find an app for 3DS that downloads codes from a database, but it crashes my games no matter what cheats I use.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to find a good source. I was able to find an app for 3DS that downloads codes from a database, but it crashes my games no matter what cheats I use.
Hmmm the sharkive DB has a few that actually work. Other than that I actually dumped Fort42's Gateshark database before the site went down last year. I can give you some of those to try if you have specific games you wanted. You can PM me so we don't clog the thread with off topic if you want.

Oris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm the sharkive DB has a few that actually work. Other than that I actually dumped Fort42's Gateshark database before the site went down last year. I can give you some of those to try if you have specific games you wanted. You can PM me so we don't clog the thread with off topic if you want.
I'd appreciate that, thanks. I'll PM you. Back on topic here, I notice there are more than just Pokemon games that this program is useful for. Could this be used for maybe doing an OoT3D or MM3D randomizer?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd appreciate that, thanks. I'll PM you. Back on topic here, I notice there are more than just Pokemon games that this program is useful for. Could this be used for maybe doing an OoT3D or MM3D randomizer?
The program is useful to extract and rebuild 3DS games. What you do after that is really up to you. I personally don't know of any programs that could randomize other games but if you can find them you can do them. I see people use programs like this for translations, dubs, model rips/swaps, custom music, texture edits, etc....

Reactions: Oris

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DragonMals
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    DragonMals tempBOT: DragonMals has joined the room.