Tutorial  Updated

[Tutorial] Install FHDB from PC

The purpose of this tutorial is to install FHDB (Free Hard Drive Boot) directly to an HDD, using a Windows PC, without a memory card or PS2. In order to complete this tutorial, the HDD needs to connect to the PC. After the installation, a compatible (i.e., fat) PS2 can properly interact with the HDD.

HDD + PC + .IMG = FHDB

Alternate Video Tutorial

0. Download
1. Disk Management
  • Check that the HDD is connected
DiskManagement.png

2. HDD Raw Copy Tool
  • Select 'FHDB v1.966 (2019-01-14).img' as SOURCE, Continue
  • Select PS2 HDD as TARGET, Continue
  • Start (100% = done, close)
source.png target.png

3. PS2
  • Insert HDD into PS2 & Network Adapter
ps2_hdd.jpg

Last edited by zfreeman,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.:)

The purpose of this tutorial is to install FHDB (Free Hard Drive Boot) directly to an HDD, using a Windows PC, WITHOUT a PS2. In order to complete this tutorial, the HDD needs to connect to the PC. After the installation, a compatible (fat) PS2 is needed in order to properly use the HDD.

HDD + PC + .IMG = FHDB

Alternate Video Tutorial

0. Download
1. Disk Management
  • Check that the HDD is connected
View attachment 244810

2. HDD Raw Copy Tool
  • Select 'FHDB v1.966 (2019-01-14).img' as SOURCE, Continue
  • Select PS2 HDD as TARGET, Continue
  • Start (100% = done, close)
View attachment 244811 View attachment 244812

3. PS2
  • Insert HDD into PS2 & Network Adapter
View attachment 244813

That means:

- The PlayStation 2 is directly booting from the HDD now ? No need for an Memory Card ?
(except VMC´s for the Games).
- Did I have to press/hold a specific Button on the Controller during Powwer On/Boot Up ?
- I can not use my existing HDD,I have to do it on an fresh HDD and transfer the Covers/Arts/Cheats/Games all over again ?

Thank you for your help.:)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

That means:

- The PlayStation 2 is directly booting from the HDD now ? No need for an Memory Card ?
(except VMC´s for the Games).
- Did I have to press/hold a specific Button on the Controller during Powwer On/Boot Up ?
- I can not use my existing HDD,I have to do it on an fresh HDD and transfer the Covers/Arts/Cheats/Games all over again ?

Thank you for your help.:)

FHDB automatically runs when you turn on the system, if an FMCB card isn’t inserted.

If you already have a method to run homebrew, you can install FHDB using that method as it’s just an option on the FMCB installer.

Be aware that FHDB is slower than FMCB, so I’d only use FHDB as a backup.

edit:

Be careful if you have a hacked hddosd, as this gets more complicated.

Last edited by tech3475,

zfreeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • FHDB automatically boots from the HDD in the PS2. No need for a Memory Card.
  • You can use your existing HDD, but it will overwrite the beginning 7-8GB of the HDD. To ensure the least problems, I recommend a fresh HDD. You will have to transfer the Covers/Arts/Cheats/Games all over again. There is a premade HDD image (.IMGC) with art already included.
  • FHDB is only slower during the boot sequence. The HDD is last in the boot order and adds 8-10 seconds after turning on the PS2, compared to FMCB.

Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

• FHDB is automatically boots from the HDD in the PS2. No need for a Memory Card.
  • You can use your existing HDD, but it will overwrite the beginning 7-8GB of the HDD. To ensure the least problems, I recommend a fresh HDD. You will have to transfer the Covers/Arts/Cheats/Games all over again. There is a premade HDD image (.IMGC) with art already included.
  • FHDB is only slower during the boot sequence. The HDD is last in the boot order and adds 8-10 seconds after turning on the PS2, compared to FMCB.

Thank you for the Link to the Image.:)

So it means:
FreeMC Boot needs a few Seconds to get into uLaunchELF
FreeHD Boot only adds the same Time compared when you on
uLaunchELF - > Browser and open the HDD (in 2-5 Seconds usual) ?
(I mean: with FMCB you boot and need to wait for the HDD is ready and FHDB is already on HDD Access.)

If yes,then is FHDB not really slower.:)
(Apart from this,for those few Seconds I do not care at all.)

Reactions: slaphappygamer

zfreeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.:)

Thank you for the Link to the Image.:)

So it means:
FreeMC Boot needs a few Seconds to get into uLaunchELF
FreeHD Boot only adds the same Time compared when you on
uLaunchELF - > Browser and open the HDD (in 2-5 Seconds usual) ?
(I mean: with FMCB you boot and need to wait for the HDD is ready and FHDB is already on HDD Access.)

If yes,then is FHDB not really slower.:)
(Apart from this,for those few Seconds I do not care at all.)

• The time for uLaunchELF to boot is the same.
  • Accessing the HDD from uLaunchELF might be different, but the time depends on the speed of the HDD.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Note that after doing this, you should format the disk in WLaunchELF and do a clean install of FHDB from USB - first and foremost because of the peculiarities of APA partitioning, but also to enable the "HDD boot flag" in eeprom (which contrary to its name, makes the disk not shutdown immediately after booting from it, saving wear and time)

If you want HDDOSD just find it in loose files format (wink wink) and copy it to the disk between those 2 steps I mentioned :)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Note that after doing this, you should format the disk in WLaunchELF and do a clean install of FHDB from USB - first and foremost because of the peculiarities of APA partitioning, but also to enable the "HDD boot flag" in eeprom (which contrary to its name, makes the disk not shutdown immediately after booting from it, saving wear and time)

If you want HDDOSD just find it in loose files format (wink wink) and copy it to the disk between those 2 steps I mentioned :)

In regards to loose files, a little bird tells me that allot of the ones online are either not 48bit or they have a Japanese keyboard.

Same bird ended up having to use a rather convoluted method to get a ‘clean’ English 48bit HDDOSD using an emulator.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have to clean the bird **** off the window seal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D