JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
@KingdomBlade: Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. Are "series" and "season" interchangable, or do you only use "series"?

YAY COMMUNITY! 6 seasons and a movie!
Season 5 was totally streets behind, and I doubt this next one will be better.

Here's my opinion (mixed with some speculation) on it. The new writers were worried that people would complain that the show changed to much, as that's usually how things go when shows are taken over. To avoid that, they tried to tie everything in with past episodes. Ironically, they tried so hard to keep the show the same, that they changed it completely.

They overdid old bits (i.e. the Dean's costumes, his obsession with Jeff, the multiple timelines, etc.) to the point where people were sick of them. There was almost no fresh comedy. The only real new thing they brought to the table was focusing on (light) drama, rather than comedy. When there is only one form of new material, it dominates how the show is perceived. They effectively changed the genre of the show.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, I had no idea there were so many tv shows. Do people under 30 even watch regular tv? I haven-t watched a scheduled program in three years

izzydeank

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, I had no idea there were so many tv shows. Do people under 30 even watch regular tv? I haven-t watched a scheduled program in three years
You win a prize sir for not watching a "scheduled" program in 3 years. Great work. Your alot better then all them under 30 years olds.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont see alot im going to miss on the cancellation block, rules of engagement and dirty jobs but thats it

nbc is going to need something good to replace the office to bring viewers in or their other thursday night shows are going to get cancelled since cbs is expanding their thursday night lineup into more comedy rather then drama

hope fox finally cancels cleveland show

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You win a prize sir for not watching a "scheduled" program in 3 years. Great work. Your alot better then all them under 30 years olds.
Must just be simple a case of having a life because I don't have the time or the inclination to be at home waiting for some sub par tv show to start on a designated day at a designated time.

izzydeank

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Must just be simple a case of having a life because I don't have the time or the inclination to be at home waiting for some sub par tv show to start on a designated day at a designated time.
You don't have a "life", if your posting in this thread.

invidente7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I so hate that B$% from apartment 26 got cancelled...but most of the series I would actually love to watch ARE NOT alvaible in mexico (rookie blue, the good wife among others) and btw FOX has confirmed that the cleveland show is NOT getting canceled

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I don't watch tv.Doesn't bother me.

cartoons like MAD, Looney Tunes Show, and other awesome shit, is what I'll stick with.
[sarcasm]Wow, how badass of you to not watch TV, because evidently, The Looney Toons Show and MAD aren't on TV.[/sarcasm]

Yeahhhh, in case you didn't notice, both are TV shows, and Cartoon Network is still a TV channel that can cancel shows.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they didnt order any more episodes which pretty much means cancelled
same thing happened to futurama

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
<very mild rant>But you really shouldn't use "series" unless specifically talking about UK shows (or a show in its entirety). It makes sense in the way UK shows are produced (basically as miniseries, instead of ongoing) but not so much in other countries. I try and make an effort to use "series" when talking about UK shows, is it so bad to ask the people in the UK at least try to use "season" when talking about shows from the rest of the world?</vmr>

Though a lot of UK shows do have 6-8 episodes they are not always self contained affairs (and vice versa for US shows -- would it be a season of Harper's Island for instance?) and the ongoing soap type model is quite popular outside what might be recognised as soaps.

As for the use of season... owing to the rather large cultural presence of the US many are reasonably familiar with US English and many of the differences there (though there are some very subtle ones). TV wise it is not used really but there is hunting/shooting season, fishing season, mating season, season of the witch and other such uses so the underlying concept is not entirely alien. Perhaps more troublesome is that where a lot of US shows are fairly regimented (start in September and depending upon how many random breaks you have peter out some time in March) it is not so set in the UK (January to March and then back in September and January to March and back next January would be nothing unusual).
Either way I will stand by my use of series as a catch all term here.

@jumpman17 15 shows? Personally I thought this was a pretty mild year though quite a few shows I have since stopped watching or look to be ending naturally as it were which is not so bad.

Re: Burn notice. I shall have to revisit it after the end of this series but I could see it ending too soon, if they had continued with the "get my job back" line for any longer than they did though I could have seen it go south rapidly though.

@dickfour between DVDs, catch up/streaming services, usenet/torrents/whatever and DVRs I am not sure so many people are racing home to watch something start.

90's Video Games cartoons and Family Guy are good? OK. The only 90's game cartoon I remember I liked that got cancelled was Sam and Max. The majority were god awful to me. And I don't think that all of those 90's shows and a reality show are really an accurate point of reference.
---
Even The Wire managed to hang on just enough to finish.
---
Game of Thrones
---
Sons of anarchy

You mean you never saw the awesomeness that was Earthworm Jim or the good sonic cartoon? There were a few half decent anime shows as well but that might be a different conversation.
Also I am not sure man vs wild counts as a reality TV show.

As for the wire I hold the last few episodes being cut/condensed did it no favours at all.

Game of thrones is an interesting one, I do not think it is spoilers to say it gets nuts from here on in and that will skyrocket the CGI budget. Depending upon how much they decide to split the upcoming books as well

Sons of anarchy seems to be rumoured to have this upcoming series and the one after is the final one though this has happened several times before. Likewise I am not sure if they will be able to sustain it and FX might pull the plug (though better than a lot of TV the last couple have not done it for me in the way the earlier ones did). Of course if the walking dead is still airing and nobody has given that both barrels yet....

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
You mean you never saw the awesomeness that was Earthworm Jim or the good sonic cartoon? There were a few half decent anime shows as well but that might be a different conversation.
Also I am not sure man vs wild counts as a reality TV show.

As for the wire I hold the last few episodes being cut/condensed did it no favours at all.

Game of thrones is an interesting one, I do not think it is spoilers to say it gets nuts from here on in and that will skyrocket the CGI budget. Depending upon how much they decide to split the upcoming books as well

Sons of anarchy seems to be rumoured to have this upcoming series and the one after is the final one though this has happened several times before. Likewise I am not sure if they will be able to sustain it and FX might pull the plug (though better than a lot of TV the last couple have not done it for me in the way the earlier ones did). Of course if the walking dead is still airing and nobody has given that both barrels yet....
I don't really wanna get into anime vs cartoon thing, but I consider them to be pretty much the same deal, so in that field there was Pokemon and shit. I liked The Adventures of Sonic cartoon I guess. I remember the godawful Mortal Combat and Zelda cartoons too.

The Wire, well, my point is that even a show that good managed to avoid getting cancelled completely, even though it basically had to cling for dear life. Game of Thrones has created I think too much a fanbase and has been a ginormous critical and commercial success so regardless of heavy special effects, I doubt that HBO will want to remove that from their lineup any time soon. Considering that it's the first fantasy/sci-fi series to be nominated for the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy since Joan of Arcadia, and prior to that, Star Trek, (I don't count Heroes to be fantasy or sci-fi, I count it in its own horrible shit genre of its own) it obviously has a lot of industry support behind it.

Well, whether or not it is the final season may not have anything to do with FX deciding to cancel it. Maybe it could be less regarding the ratings and more regarding the creator's decision to end the show. From the way the show is now, I can see them giving it a fairly suitable conclusion within the next two seasons. FX's lineup is excellent at the moment, so it'd be sad to see anything go I think, but that leaves room for them to try out a few new shows.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I am quite happy to accuse anime of being cartoons. However I am not sure where to put gungrave in that (granted it was 2000's) and if we are talking pure 90's then I was more thinking things that were clear products of the 90's but also based on games.

On game of thrones I would not bet against them squeezing a couple more years out of it but I could see the show ending before the book series does (even assuming the book series will be finished before the show catches up).

loco365

Trophies
XP
Can't believe Happy Endings got cancelled, and 2 Broke Girls is still on the air <_<.

Also, sad Alpha's got cancelled. Hate when shows end with a cliffhanger then get cancelled. Other than that, better than last year for me.
I was disappointed when The River and Terra Nova both ended on a cliffhanger.

Oh and no more CSI NY? *table flip* And also Zero Hour. That was good.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really wanna get into anime vs cartoon thing, but I consider them to be pretty much the same deal, so in that field there was Pokemon and shit. I liked The Adventures of Sonic cartoon I guess. I remember the godawful Mortal Combat and Zelda cartoons too.

The Wire, well, my point is that even a show that good managed to avoid getting cancelled completely, even though it basically had to cling for dear life. Game of Thrones has created I think too much a fanbase and has been a ginormous critical and commercial success so regardless of heavy special effects, I doubt that HBO will want to remove that from their lineup any time soon. Considering that it's the first fantasy/sci-fi series to be nominated for the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy since Joan of Arcadia, and prior to that, Star Trek, (I don't count Heroes to be fantasy or sci-fi, I count it in its own horrible shit genre of its own) it obviously has a lot of industry support behind it.

Well, whether or not it is the final season may not have anything to do with FX deciding to cancel it. Maybe it could be less regarding the ratings and more regarding the creator's decision to end the show. From the way the show is now, I can see them giving it a fairly suitable conclusion within the next two seasons. FX's lineup is excellent at the moment, so it'd be sad to see anything go I think, but that leaves room for them to try out a few new shows.

To be fair Game of Thrones has an impressive amount of set work and costume design. I think each episode costs around $10 million to make or so, which is absolutely huge. I mean it has special effects in the show (which are pretty good, not exactly movie quality but pretty damn close and better than some movies) but it's for things that are necessary (dragons, wolves, The Wall, etc). However a lot of it is costume design, set design, and of course the high quality of writing and acting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like cinnamon raisin toast in the mornings, with my vodka orange juice.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3etueeGIg