Twitch source code, passwords, SDKs, and more made publically available in major leak

asddasad.png

Earlier this week saw Facebook, Whatsapp, and Instagram all go down in a supposed hacking incident. However, that wasn't the only major thing to happen this Monday; apparently, Twitch was hacked, with an anonymous source posting a 125GB torrent onto 4chan today that contained user data and other sensitive information from the website. Reportedly, this data dump contains a wide variety of different things, such as the source code for Twitch, private SDKs, information about payouts that live streamers receive, clients for various platforms that Twitch is available on, and even data pertaining to other websites that Twitch owns such as IGDB and CurseForge.

Beyond that, there also appears to be an unreleased PC storefront for digital games, with the codename of Vapor, intended to compete against Steam and the Epic Games Store. As for the leaked passwords, they are reportedly encrypted. Regardless, it would be wise to change your password, or even turn on two-factor authentication for Twitch if you haven't already.

According to news outlet VGC, who broke the initial story, the following is in the torrent:

• The entirety of Twitch’s source code with comment history “going back to its early beginnings”
  • Creator payout reports from 2019
  • Mobile, desktop and console Twitch clients
  • Proprietary SDKs and internal AWS services used by Twitch
  • “Every other property that Twitch owns” including IGDB and CurseForge
  • An unreleased Steam competitor, codenamed Vapor, from Amazon Game Studios
  • Twitch internal ‘red teaming’ tools (designed to improve security by having staff pretend to be hackers)

According to the 4chan post, the hacker uploaded the leak in order to cause disruption and competition for Twitch, as they find the community to be toxic. While nothing else has been uploaded quite yet, the user claims that they will be leaking even more files soon in the future.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wouldn’t worry too much if I was running Twitch - out of those 125GB’s at least 120GB’s must’ve been the ToS. That platform is ridiculous, it’s a shame that competition is scarce.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Streaming is fun, but i got to the game too late. youtube game streaming is somewhat competitive, but mainly populated by big names they were able to poach from twitch, so it may not be a good place for growth. plus it's missing a lot of the essential tools. Any up-and-coming alternatives to twitch?

Karones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It seems there's a lot of hate towards Twitch around here, is it because of the company or the large communities? I only use it for a few small streamers so I probably live in a bubble.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whew! That was a close one! My buddy Timbrwulf closed his Twitch account about a year ago, and he barely used it anyhow. I feel glad for him!

Personally, I'm not fond of Twitch for much of anything. It's owned by Amazon, and it's limited unless you pay for premium. Frankly, I'd use something like Discord for live feed.

ChrisMCNBVA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have no problems with twitch, I have a lot of streams I watch on it especially marathons for different charaties like zeldathon (playing zelda games and doing fun stuff for donations) it keeps me busy during the day and i have been a fan for a long time now I don't understand the hate toward it, makes me shake my head, just like many other things in this crazy mixed up world lately.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Is there even a way to enable 2 factor authentication without a phone? :blink:
Technically yes. If you use a service like Twilio you could script up a little app to pass through SMS codes from the phone number.

If it's not SMS 2fa and instead something like Authenticator, any smart device would suffice since that doens't require phone service, just the device. I'd recommend Authy over Authenticator though.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It seems there's a lot of hate towards Twitch around here, is it because of the company or the large communities? I only use it for a few small streamers so I probably live in a bubble.
I can't speak for here in particular as I'm relatively new, but I've seen it get lots of hate from people who hate companies virtue signaling (e.g. banning words like "simp"), and from people who hate how much income they take from streamers.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia

It's cool to hate stuff for no real reason

Should stream fortnite on twitch and play nickelback, people would lose their minds

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Checked over the leak and it does not contain any passwords or database data. It's all just git repos (excluding the revenue data).

I would still recommend changing passwords though as you never know what else could have been taken and just not leaked to the public. (They probably did call the leak "part one" for a reason.)

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Video game streams should be the only thing on Twitch IMO, hot tub streams and other like videos are just boring
I don't even understand them. Why don't they just go to My Free Cams, or some other lewd cam sites? It's the same shit, except the girls actually get naked, and for enough tips, they'll give you a "private show".

I agree, Twitch should be a GAMING stream site. Twitch is fucked up for allowing this to go on, and they know damn well it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 2MBs is all you need it's fine lol