• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Two Republican Senators are facing calls to resign over using insider knowledge to sell stocks

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty low behavior, but proving it to be criminal behavior is a tall bar. Already mentioned above, but it's not like the virus wasn't already known, and people weren't already panicking. As for calls by offended people on the internet for any of them to resign, don't hold your breath. This is politics we're talking about. Will the Senate as a body act against them? Only if none of them have ammunition against any others, which seems especially unlikely in Feinstein's case. Probably something voters just need to remember the next time their names appear on a ballot. You can be sure each of them (and everyone else in the Senate) were already culpable of worse before this ever came to light.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
If the fine/impact on your life is less, than what you'd expect loosing over the next months, what would you do?

Its hard to argue, why this isnt a 'victimless crime'. (You just got more information than the rest of the market, isnt that how capitalism works? ;) )

It basically is, because of the structural disruption (system = unfair perception) it causes, and then perception of system becoming overly negative.

But if you had the opportunity to do it - and wouldnt be likely caught...
"""Why not:"""?

Someone explain to me why this is such a grave and low behavior. I might have missed something. :) (Never was in the situation to think about this one before. :) )

edit: Just googled for 10 minutes. Other people agree on my logic, historically. Love it, when it works out that way.. ;)

Same idiotic thing as with "we dont like illegal migrants, because they are illegal". "Yeah, but why?" is the obvious response there. Not - yes, very bad, because feels, and looks. ;)

Morvovan has one thing going for him - the "other people do it all the time and dont get caught" argument, isnt such a bad one...

Last edited by notimp,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the market is so key to your economy (banks, investments, retirement funds, savings, foreign investment... all feeding from it after all) and people are preparing to dump however many trillion in to keep it afloat when something goes wrong or people become idiots there is the expectation of fairness.
If it is a game nobody can play because of inside information being the dominant currency, or pricing you out as the price shoots up in expectation of you buying things, then nobody does and the money pools and importance of it all become far less, and you also open the door the market manipulation which nobody wants either. If you want a less hazy one see the Barclays and Credit Suisse dark pools thing they got slapped for a while back.
If your "more information" is because you have better algorithms, can pull sources faster, and do analysis of patterns in related fields, or think something announced is going to rock the boat for them then that is all good and how the game is supposed to be played.

As far as morality. Anything I invest I am prepared to lose and I would normally try to have a little "it'll be alright" fund going anyway. I would also figure it is much like hiring someone, or indeed not, in that if you can't think of a justification you are not trying hard enough.

Reactions: notimp

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Overall logic holds true (if perception is 'rigged' people dont want to play). But individual logic... is very different. ;)

(Heck, if you dont want for perception to change, just dont catch me, copper.. ;) Bail me out. ;) )
-

The stuff I find titillating here is, that big financial investors - OBVIOUSLY preempt the market by trying to get information early even by miliseconds - and not all of what they do can be explained away as 'generally available to the clever investor advantage'.

Second the failover stops like - if stock index drops too much, trading is halted. (Stopping cascading effects, but...) (Actually, same logic as with corona applies, you are trying to slow down the rate of doubling of perceived negative worth.. Thats rigging. ;) (But for the benefit of all' (Who dont like stock market busts.)).)

Third - so the regulation logic must be along the lines of "a few big players you can regulate" a bunch of a little smaller ones following self serving individual logic you cant - so you have to establish a "culture" for them?

Might actually be workable.. ;)

But then I fall back on - why can lets say someone in a national security commite not act like Douglas Fink? Because of conflict of interest and too much potential of 'market making' (less individual risk)? In this very second I find this fascinating.. ;)

edit: The other way around sheds a little more light. If someone 'big' is perceived as 'always a little early' in a way that is COPYABLE by many other market actors, the system breaks (people will not decide based on market logic, but based on sidegame logic). So that is what you are trying to prevent.

If big player rigs market in a way that isnt replicatable by many other players, you try to regulate him differently by doing something to his overall profit margin. Maybe slap em on the hand if they are playing too fast and loose... :) So complexity becomes the differentiator. :)

Am I wrong?

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ah, false premise. :)
By members of Congress[edit]
Members of the US Congress are exempt from the laws that ban insider trading. Because they generally do not have a confidential relationship with the source of the information they receive, however, they do not meet the usual definition of an "insider." [35] House of Representatives rules[36] may however consider congressional insider trading unethical. A 2004 study found that stock sales and purchases by Senators outperformed the market by 12.3% per year.[37]

There you go. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insider_trading

In May 2007, a bill entitled the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act, or STOCK Act was introduced that would hold congressional and federal employees liable for stock trades they made using information they gained through their jobs and also regulate analysts or political intelligence firms that research government activities.[41] The STOCK Act was enacted on April 4, 2012.

The STOCK Act requires a one-year study of the growing political intelligence industry, and requires every Member of Congress to publicly file and disclose any financial transaction of stocks, bond, commodities futures, and other securities within 45 days on their websites, rather than once a year as they do now. The Act also requires members of Congress and Executive branch officials to disclose the terms of mortgages on their homes, prohibits them from receiving special access to initial public stock offerings, and denies federal pensions to members of Congress who are convicted of felonies involving public corruption. The bill is divided into nineteen sections.[6]

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Hanafuda

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...