Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 755,807
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 102

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CapitanRooster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still keep using Nutez's Luma fork, Quick-Switcher is reaaaaally useful. They could try that if they want.
Alright I can look into that perhaps.
You can't, it's not a feature anyone asked for yet.

The best I can do is add button held detection to disable. Which button? Can't make it configurable, so it must be decided.
That's alright, I've noticed just opening and closing the DS puts it back into the regular light. Appreciate the response though!

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I've noticed just opening and closing the DS puts it back into the regular light.

Yeah, that's because due to its sheer size, the Redshift payload is a runonce payload, meaning it runs at boot, and disappears from RAM once it's removed from the 3DS side.

No, sadly I don't have enough space to make it resident. It's also already compressed with the best code+data size ratio. Data size and characteristics are fixed, any other decoder is literally bigger than the decompressed data itself.

I've tried actually making it resident, but I *still* can't find that code which clears VRAM (either by disabling it in sleep mode, or actually clearing it), so it disappears from memory by wakeup.
For reference, TwlBg runs from VRAM (because FCRAM is either DSi Main RAM, or cartridge emulator in GBA mode), hence my problems.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I am having issues trying to make a Widescreen.cxi. If I use the Widescreen patch + GPU scaling, it works but then the image is too blurry.

But if I just select the Widescreen patch, and leave everything untouched (the scaler being linear sharpen as the default) when I try to boot SM64DS I just get glitched screens, half white half black. I get audio but that's it.

Doesn't matter that I activate the cheat code or not.

What I am doing wrong?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If I use the Widescreen patch + GPU scaling, it works but then the image is too blurry.

It works as intended. This old GPU only has nearest and linear scaling. In fact, I had to work pretty hard to make it LESS blurry than it already is >.<

But if I just select the Widescreen patch, and leave everything untouched (the scaler being linear sharpen as the default) when I try to boot SM64DS I just get glitched screens, half white half black. I get audio but that's it.

Doesn't matter that I activate the cheat code or not.

What I am doing wrong?

What is your TWPatch version? Older builds did have issues with widescreen, which were fixed almost a year ago.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have the latest one from Universal updater, 2023/07/21.

I don't really mind playing in 1:1 at all, is just that I saw some pictures of this 3DS widescreen and seemed to be a lot sharper than I expected and read that with cheats games would render "natively" on higher resolutions so I wanted to try myself but I just get the usual filtered look, so that's why I asked if I was doing something wrong, as trying with other things causes this problem.

Maybe I expected too much, but the screenshots still look sharper than what I get.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Games can't render in "higher" resolution. It's simply not possible. What happens here is that the cheats make the games render squished and the 3DS side does stretch it to full screen. The part where it squishes actually reduces the details since more has to be packed into the same resolution.

Reactions: Maeson

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I have the latest one from Universal updater, 2023/07/21.

I don't really mind playing in 1:1 at all, is just that I saw some pictures of this 3DS widescreen and seemed to be a lot sharper than I expected and read that with cheats games would render "natively" on higher resolutions so I wanted to try myself but I just get the usual filtered look, so that's why I asked if I was doing something wrong, as trying with other things causes this problem.

Maybe I expected too much, but the screenshots still look sharper than what I get.

In that case I'm not sure then.

What is your system version and 3DS system type?

Also don't use GPU scaling with 1:1 mode, it simply does not work. However, non-GPU scaling *should* work regardless.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Latest firmware New 2ds XL.

I do not use anything for 1:1. I have a TwBg.xci with just the "invert start+select" so Twilight Menu starts at original resolution.

It's just whenever I try widescreen (when not using the gpu scaler) that I run into that issue. I will keep messing with it but it's not much of an issue.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Latest firmware New 2ds XL.

I do not use anything for 1:1. I have a TwBg.xci with just the "invert start+select" so Twilight Menu starts at original resolution.

It's just whenever I try widescreen (when not using the gpu scaler) that I run into that issue. I will keep messing with it but it's not much of an issue.

Don't use widescreen with 1:1 mode, it doesn't work at all.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe I am explaining myself poorly or I'm not understanding you.

I have TwlBg.xci In Luma/Sysmodules. This one is made to start in 1:1 (inverting the use of Start+Select) and has nothing else, really. Whenever I boot Twilight Menu or use one of my own cartridges, the system reads this.

I have Widescreen.xci in _nds/TwilightMenu/TwlBg. From what I read TwilightMenu only reads this if you want to boot up a game in 16:10. This xci file has only the widescreen patch. It has no inverted use of Start+Select.

1:1 only happens either on real carts or in Twilight Menu, unless what you're trying to tell me is that if you boot Twilight Menu in 1:1, then it also borks the Widescreen attempts. I was under the assumption that it wouldn't matter.

If that's the case, then you're telling me that's needed to boot in stretched mode if I want to play something in Widescreen, is it?

Edit: Okay, I tried and it does seem it works that way. If you boot in 1:1 it does screw Widescreen.

Sorry but I just wasn't understanding exactly what you were getting at. Now that I know this I will mess around it more to see what I end up liking the most. Thank you, Sono.

Vendicatorealato, you're right, the last one isn't on Universal Updater, I remember the flashing at the start. Thank you both.

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Maybe I am explaining myself poorly or I'm not understanding you.

I have TwlBg.xci In Luma/Sysmodules. This one is made to start in 1:1 (inverting the use of Start+Select) and has nothing else, really. Whenever I boot Twilight Menu or use one of my own cartridges, the system reads this.

I have Widescreen.xci in _nds/TwilightMenu/TwlBg. From what I read TwilightMenu only reads this if you want to boot up a game in 16:10. This xci file has only the widescreen patch. It has no inverted use of Start+Select.

1:1 only happens either on real carts or in Twilight Menu, unless what you're trying to tell me is that if you boot Twilight Menu in 1:1, then it also borks the Widescreen attempts. I was under the assumption that it wouldn't matter.

If that's the case, then you're telling me that's needed to boot in stretched mode if I want to play something in Widescreen, is it?

Edit: Okay, I tried and it does seem it works that way. If you boot in 1:1 it does screw Widescreen.

Sorry but I just wasn't understanding exactly what you were getting at. Now that I know this I will mess around it more to see what I end up liking the most. Thank you, Sono.

Vendicatorealato, you're right, the last one isn't on Universal Updater, I remember the flashing at the start. Thank you both.

Yeah, my bad. Un-START patch works just fine, but itself does not mess up any other patches. All it does is that it turns "must hold START or SELECT to enable 1:1 mode" to "disable 1:1 mode if START *and* SELECT is held on boot".

However, trying to boot widescreen and/or GPU patch version in 1:1 (via either START or SELECT, or via Un-START), it will completely mess up the screen, and I can't do much about that due to Nintendo's total garbage code.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's fine Sono! I just was lacking that nugget of information about 1:1 affecting it that made all the difference. There's no need to do anything. If I were to play something in Widescreen (oir just normal stretched mode) I just push the button and that's it.

I got all set up already, thanks for all your work!

Reactions: Sono

legofordman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone give me a tutorial on how to get Warioware Twisted gyro controls to work? Also, when patching Twilight menu, the entirety of Twilight menu became a whole lot more pixelated. How do I fix that?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Can someone give me a tutorial on how to get Warioware Twisted gyro controls to work? Also, when patching Twilight menu, the entirety of Twilight menu became a whole lot more pixelated. How do I fix that?

You need a specific (and very outdated) GBARunner2 build.
It seems to be gone off of GitHub, so try this link instead:
https://puu.sh/JAz0k/0bae2a9180.nds

You can only use one scale filter, it's not configurable per game (for now). Choose a better one if you find it too pixelated.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
what does gpu scaling do exactly?

It uses the GPU for upscaling instead of the capture card itself.

The GPU can only do linear and nearest scaling.
Nearest is extremely broken, so linear it is.

GPU scaling is extremely blurry though, and it even messes with my brain, but some people like it better, as it is the cleanest upscale there is, even though it's blurry, as the GPU can do multisampling, while the capture card can't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE