Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 752,416
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
https://github.com/MechanicalDragon0687/TWLFix-CFW/issues/1

is that what's happening to me? i'm not smart enough to know what i should delete or overwrite with some clean file from somewhere so the system update fix my problem

edit-2: the broken games are still broken, but the filters and the widescreen do work for the ones that remain working. I'll list them in case it matters. Also, i'm not using twilightMenu++, i used nds fowarder. On an O3DS. I did activate the FIRM thing on luma but not on my first use, could that be what ruined something?

Broken:

mario64DS
pokemon HG
pokemon platinum
pokemon black 2
monster rancher DS

Working:
GBA runner2
Final fantasy IV
Chrono trigger
Disgaea DS
Medabot DS kabuto version
Plants vs. Zombies
Metal slug 7
Digimon world championship

Last edited by placebo_yue,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
im freaking out a little over the endless "bytes left" messages and the COMPRESSION TAKES FOREVER messages on the lower screen. Is this normal? how long does it take?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

DS games don't open anymore (except for GBArunner2). What's up with that?

On a second thought, it can induce panic attacks in some people. The messages are perfectly normal. The "bytes left" message is spammed so you can see how many bytes are left. Compression takes almost exactly 6mins on old3DS, and less than that on new3DS.

Sometimes patching yields a broken TwlBg.cxi, and I'm not sure what causes that. Just re-patching makes it work again.

Depending on what patches are applied, it shouldn't break DS mode. In fact, you're running the same DS mode as what is running on your 3DS (the patcher reads TWL_FIRM from NAND), so that shouldn't be the issue.

Reactions: champsblinder02

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Reinstalling SM64ds remaking the cia with the fowarder fixed it. I assume it'll also fix the rest of the broken games.

My wild guess is that, since those that fail are the ones i installed way before, it's gotta have something to do with an update of nds bootloader i did along the run. Those were installed during an older version and your patch assumed some byte or something was placed for the newer versions of nds bootloader.
Correct me if anything i said makes no sense or is plain stupid lol, im just trying to make sense of it.

Also, if anyone has this problem,
TLDR: if your game stops running, remake the cia with fowarder and reinstall it

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sorry for the delay, I fell asleep early.
The CTR_Redshift menu is still not fully functional, but I finally included the patch menu I wanted since ages!

Because this is a test build, it doesn't replace the build in the first post.
https://puu.sh/FFbnU/9bf3e53512.cia

Reinstalling SM64ds remaking the cia with the fowarder fixed it. I assume it'll also fix the rest of the broken games.

My wild guess is that, since those that fail are the ones i installed way before, it's gotta have something to do with an update of nds bootloader i did along the run. Those were installed during an older version and your patch assumed some byte or something was placed for the newer versions of nds bootloader.
Correct me if anything i said makes no sense or is plain stupid lol, im just trying to make sense of it.

Also, if anyone has this problem,
TLDR: if your game stops running, remake the cia with fowarder and reinstall it

The patcher searches for patterns (not fixed addresses), so it shouldn't be the issue. As I said, other than a few quality-of-life patches, it doesn't touch how the original TwlBg works, because it dumps it from your console for maximum compatibility, and also to avoid the need to share copyrighted files (which the retail TwlBg contains 2 of).

Deleted member 446461

Trophies
XP
Sorry for the delay, I fell asleep early.
The CTR_Redshift menu is still not fully functional, but I finally included the patch menu I wanted since ages!

Because this is a test build, it doesn't replace the build in the first post.
https://puu.sh/FFbnU/9bf3e53512.cia

The patcher searches for patterns (not fixed addresses), so it shouldn't be the issue. As I said, other than a few quality-of-life patches, it doesn't touch how the original TwlBg works, because it dumps it from your console for maximum compatibility, and also to avoid the need to share copyrighted files (which the retail TwlBg contains 2 of).

Thanks!

Reactions: leonmuse

rapsagerdna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I am sorry if this is not the right place, but I have a doubt
I have a N3DSXL with CFW and a R4i Gold 3DS Plus flashcart
For memory space concerns, I want to have ds roms on microsd of flashcart
Already used Sono's TWPatch, so the games play in widescreen but stretched
I want to apply the widescreen cheats so some Games will not be stretched but native 16:10
What do I need to do? Can I use Twilight Menu++ on the flashcard for that porpose?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It works very well, but for some reason I thought it would also affect gba games?

Will that be a future patch?

I didn't remove the secret GBA patch mode. You need to hold B, X, or Y from launch until the scale list shows up. It should say "AGBG debug" somewhere, but you'll know you found the key when the scale list only has a few entries.

I am sorry if this is not the right place, but I have a doubt
I have a N3DSXL with CFW and a R4i Gold 3DS Plus flashcart
For memory space concerns, I want to have ds roms on microsd of flashcart
Already used Sono's TWPatch, so the games play in widescreen but stretched
I want to apply the widescreen cheats so some Games will not be stretched but native 16:10
What do I need to do? Can I use Twilight Menu++ on the flashcard for that porpose?

You need to edit the cheats file of your flashcart (there are editors for it), and add the widescreen patches yourself.

You can use TWiLightMenu++ too, but be careful, I bricked my R4i with YSMenu!

rapsagerdna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So I figured it out, if someone wants to play widescreen with flashcard just use TWPatcher from Sono and usrcheat.dat from DeadSkullzJr
Then you need to enable the widescreen cheat in every game that has them
If you have any more questions pm me

Stellar

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I didn't remove the secret GBA patch mode. You need to hold B, X, or Y from launch until the scale list shows up. It should say "AGBG debug" somewhere, but you'll know you found the key when the scale list only has a few entries.

You need to edit the cheats file of your flashcart (there are editors for it), and add the widescreen patches yourself.

You can use TWiLightMenu++ too, but be careful, I bricked my R4i with YSMenu!

Nice, thank you. It was "Y", by the way.

Reactions: leonmuse and Sono

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I figured I'd share this simple solution for people who often change filters and don't want to have to go through the process of compressing every time:
Basically what I do is I open FBI and rename the TwlBg.cxi file found in sd:/luma/sysmodules/ to something I can easily remember, like TwlBgInt.cxi for the linear INTerpolation filter or TwlBgDark for darkned filter, so that every time I want to use it I just rename it back to TwlBg.cxi and the filter works. This takes a lot less time than remaking the patched TwlBg every time.
This is my sysmodules folder:

twlbg.png

I figure a simple solution for Twpatcher would be to do this for you after you've generated the patched twlbg for the first time and leave the old one with a different name so that next time you apply it it'll just have to rename the currently used one to something else.

Last edited by Zense,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
What's the dpad lr patch the patcher mentions when you start patching @Sono?

It allows LR and UD pressed at the same time. Press LEFT and push the CPad right to test it out in games.

I figured I'd share this simple solution for people who often change filters and don't want to have to go through the process of compressing every time:
Basically what I do is I open FBI and rename the TwlBg.cxi file found in sd:/luma/sysmodules/ to something I can easily remember, like TwlBgInt.cxi for the linear INTerpolation filter or TwlBgDark for darkned filter, so that every time I want to use it I just rename it back to TwlBg.cxi and the filter works. This take a lot less time than remaking the patched TwlBg every time.
This is my sysmodules folder:

View attachment 207693

I figure a simple solution for Twpatcher would be to do this for you after you've generated the patched twlbg for the first time and leave the old one with a different name so that next time you apply it it'll just have to rename the currently used one to

I already thought of this, but the reason I ditched the idea is because if I release a new patch then people will think I didn't do anything when in reality it's just copying an existing file, which is not good.

Reactions: leonmuse and Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I already thought of this, but the reason I ditched the idea is because if I release a new patch then people will think I didn't do anything when in reality it's just copying an existing file, which is not good.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure I completely understood why you ditched it? What I was saying is that the first time you use a filter you would have to generate and compress the patched TwlBg.cxi.

Reactions: leonmuse

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure I completely understood why you ditched it? What I was saying is that the first time you use a filter you would have to generate and compress the patched TwlBg.cxi.

The problem is that any modification you do requires a complete rebuild, and I don't know how I could check which build is which.

Reactions: Zense

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that any modification you do requires a complete rebuild, and I don't know how I could check which build is which.
File name, maybe? And have a flag in a config file stored on the SD Card noting which TwlBg.cxi file is currently active?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo