• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

U.S. Supreme Court set to overturn Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, let the states decide. that's how it should be the people of the states will decide

You've said two different things. Do you want the states to decide? Or the people of the states to decide? Because there are plenty of states with zero direct ballot initiative, where the people don't get to decide shit unless the state basically tells them they are allowed to make a choice.

Reactions: The Catboy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You've said two different things. Do you want the states to decide? Or the people of the states to decide? Because there are plenty of states with zero direct ballot initiative, where the people don't get to decide shit unless the state basically tells them they are allowed to make a choice.
Representative democracy is the word you’re looking for.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
The Democrats losing to Trump had massive consequences. Trumps 3 Supreme Court picks should have been Hilary's. If only the Democrats controlled the Senate in Obama's second term, then RGB could have safely retired and a progressive Justice replaced her. There's some serious cracks in the American political system and Trump has exposed just some of them. I wouldn't bet any money on predicting the future of the US.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's weird, everyone frets about the Ukraine, but when it comes to the unborn... silence.
It must be difficult to live in a world that doesn't conform to your need for everything to be black/white.

Silence would actually be a good thing, because it would allow contemplation of the ethical issues.

Humans are still basically savages, we eat other living creatures because they taste good.
We hunt them for fun.

So let's not get bogged down in fundamental moralistic views.

Piety especially is not helpful.

The women are the only ones who should decide. Not a state, or a bunch of old people with archaic ideas, just the women.
I hope they get the support and love for whichever decision they make.
Maybe they should start selling horse abortion pills?

It's ok to take horse medicine right? I'm sure Faucci would be against that, so it's all good.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Representative democracy is the word you’re looking for.

Why exactly was that necessary to even post? What is your point? Out with it. Do explain why you think "representative democracy" should have been used over "ballot initiative". Never mind, don't answer. There was no actual purpose. You're just a contrarian.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why exactly was that necessary to even post? What is your point? Out with it. Do explain why you think "representative democracy" should have been used over "ballot initiative". Never mind, don't answer. There was no actual purpose. You're just a contrarian.
You specifically said that people can’t affect policy in many states due to the lack of direct ballot initiative. This is incorrect - people can and do affect policy by electing representatives, and those representatives, as the name implies, represent their interests in government. If you support certain kinds of policies, you vote for candidates who feature those policies in their platform. It’s really not rocket science.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You specifically said that people can’t affect policy in many states due to the lack of direct ballot initiative. This is incorrect - people directly affect policy by electing representatives, and those representatives, as the name implies, represent their interests in government. If you support certain types of policies, you vote for candidates who feature those policies in their platform. It’s really not rocket science.

Dude. LMFAO!!! :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: That is THE most stupid thing I've read so far today. Just becasue the people elect representatives, does not mean those representatives do the will of the people. You gotta be kidding me. One of the dumbest things you've ever said. And theres an awful lot of them. Not to mention, theres a little fact that not every representative of a state is on the same side of the fence and not everyone voted to elect the same people. Get fucking real. What a joke. BOTH sides have to come to an agreement. When there is no ballot initiative, the people don't have any choice in what decisions the elected representatives make. It's really not rocket science.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dude. LMFAO!!! :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: That is THE most stupid thing I've read so far today. Just becasue the people elect representatives, does not mean those representatives do the will of the people. You gotta be kidding me. One of the dumbest things you've ever said. And theres an awful lot of them. Not to mention, theres a little fact that not every representative of a state is on the same side of the fence and not everyone voted to elect the same people. Get fucking real. What a joke.
If the representatives you vote for don’t represent your interests and don’t deliver on their promises, you should hold them accountable by not voting for them again. If you continue voting for the same politicians who keep failing to deliver, there’s something wrong with you, not the system.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the representatives you vote for don’t represent your interests and don’t deliver on their promises, you should hold them accountable by not voting for them again. If you continue voting for the same politicians who keep failing to deliver, there’s something wrong with you, not the system.

Becasue it's always MY representatives not doing what I want. LMFAO. Stupid comment is stupid.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Becasue it's always MY representatives not doing what I want. LMFAO. Stupid comment is stupid.
You’re the one complaining about it. What exactly am I supposed to gather from that? If they did deliver on the promises given, you wouldn’t be complaining about it now, would you?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You’re the one complaining about it. What exactly am I supposed to gather from that? If they did deliver on the promises given, you wouldn’t be complaining about it now, would you?
Don't waste time on stone whatever. When he figures out the entire government takes control of him, he'll be eliminated regardless. Of course people from Poland knows what they're talking about since they've faced Communist Russia and China regimes their entire history, and even know. I respect to death Poland.

• Haha
Reactions: Stone_Wings

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in favor of being pro-life, but when it comes to rape and incest then they should be able to abort it.

Normally, if men and women want to have sex and don't want to have kids, then wear condoms or take the pill. The kid isn't guilty of what their parents have done (this now I know goes against what I said above).

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You dont know what the hell you are talking about. LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Here's how it works and I'll use a specific example. Marijuana is not recreationally legal where I live. There is also on ballot initiative where I live. I voted for representatives that would push for legalization in my state. They have in fact done so, and have even gotten it passed in the House. Severael times. The people in my state I did NOT vote to elect are preventing the legalization bills from passing in Senate. These are a handful of people making this decision. Not the people. There have been countless numbers of polls, om all sides of the fence here, the majority want legalization yet it doesn't happen because SOME people chose to get people elected that do NOT want legalization. Just becasue peoples canidates of choice get elected, does not mean they are doing the will of the people. So they get elected out the next go round and the next people do the same, and the next election, and the next, and the next, and. The people have a choce to elect, the people do not any choices once they are elected, except the choice to vote them out. And round and round and round it goes. For years on end.

Meanwhile, and THE most important part to explain to your think skull, is that other states that ALSO vote in their representatives just like we do, but ALSO have ballot initiative so that the people can have an actual say about things like marijuana legalization. Insteaad of a group of like 12 fucking people or what ever the number may be. You may have had a case if states with ballot initiatives had officials that were not elected by the people but... yeah. There's a kinda HUGE flaw in your line of thinking. Just admit it. You're a contrarian as I stated before.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You dont know what the hell you are talking about. LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Here's how it works and I'll use a specific example. Marijuana is not recreationally legal where I live. There is also on ballot initiative where I live. I voted for representatives that would push for legalization in my state. They have in fact done so, and have even gotten it passed in the House. Severael times. The people in my state I did NOT vote to elect are preventing the legalization bills from passing in Senate. These are a handful of people making this decision. Not the people. There have been countless numbers of polls, om all sides of the fence here, the majority want legalization yet it doesn't happen because SOME people chose to get people elected that do NOT want legalization. Just becasue peoples canidates of choice get elected, does not mean they are doing the will of the people. So they get elected out the next go round and the next people do the same, and the next election, and the next, and the next, and. The people have a choce to elect, the people do not any choices once they are elected, except the choice to vote them out. And round and round and round it goes. For years on end.

Meanwhile, and THE most important part to explain to your think skull, is that other states that ALSO vote in their representatives just like we do, but ALSO have ballot initiative to that the people can have an actual say. Insteaad of a group of like 12 fucking people or what ever the number may be. You have have had a case if states with ballot initiatives had officials that were not elected by the people but... yeah. There's a kinda HUGE flaw in your line of thinking. Just admit it. You're a contrarian as I stated before.
It sounds to me like the democratic process played out and you’re unsatisfied with the end result. We call that “being salty”.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds to me like the democratic process played out and you’re unsatisfied with the end result. We call that “being salty”.

You're still omitting the fact that the exact same democratic process is carried out in other states, and they still have ballot initiative. Keep walking around that fact all you'd like. :rofl2:

Edit: Know what it sounds like to me? You're afraid of letting the people speak on things you don't agree with. You'd rather the state have complete control, not the people. I know your side has had issues with popular vote, so your comments dont surprise me in the slightest.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're still omitting the fact that the exact same democratic process is carried out in other states, and they still have ballot initiative. Keep walking around that fact all you'd like. :rofl2:
You’re operating under the assumption that direct ballot initiative is a good thing (or that I consider it good, not sure which), but you haven’t demonstrated that. Your initial complaint was that people have no impact on policy, and we’ve established that they do via representative democracy. If your problem is the efficacy of the solution, you’re shifting the goal posts. Is your issue the fact that change isn’t occurring fast enough, in your estimation? That’s a different discussion, one in which we’d have to establish if the law changing rapidly is necessarily good.
Edit: Know what it sounds like to me? You're afraid of letting the people speak on things you don't agree with. You'd rather the state have complete control, not the people. I know your side has had issues with popular vote, so your comments dont surprise me in the slightest.
What’s “my side”? I’m a libertarian - I don’t want the state to have too much power over my life. In fact, I don’t want *anyone* to have too much power over my life - that includes you. For the record, I support legalisation, or rather, decriminalisation of marihuana. In fact, I support the decriminalisation of more drugs than most people would feel comfortable with. That doesn’t mean I’m willing to hand the reins of governance to just about any random group of people.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: anybody here?