nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
6th_hokage said:
is it possible to update from 3.2U straight to 4.1 U? BTW what is LU64+? is it serial number? thanks dude.

You at least need to have an IOS60 installed first to update straight to 4.1 with Waninkoko's updater so you COULD just use dop-IOS to install the most recent IOS60 and then run the updater. Or you can just run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater first and then his 4.1 updater. (Either way you do it you should have a cIOS installed first.)

Yes LU64 is the first 4 digits of the serial number of the wii. Generally Wii's with serials of that number or higher are boot2v4 Wii's which CANNOT be downgraded in ANY way aside from IOS15 with the Trucha Bug Restorer. Serial numbers aren't a very good indicator of this anymore however because lower serials can possibly be boot2v4 Wii's and higher ones can possibly NOT be boot2v4 Wii's. The best thing to do is if you bought your Wii anytime this year (in 2009 at all), assume you have an LU64+/boot2v4 regardless of what the serial number is.

Actually the best thing to do is treat every Wii like an LU64+ Wii because you can still do anything on those Wii's as older Wii's provided you use the right methods aside from being able to install bootmii to boot2 (which you should do if you can, and in that case you for sure wouldn't have an LU64+ type Wii.)

memevertical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for their help, I'm now in 4.1U.

Now, my question is this, everytime that the Wii is turned on it shows a menu, this are my two questions:

1.- Can I somehow make it skip this menu, and only access it by pressing some key at startup?

2.- Can I somehow take advantage of this tool and make it boot straight to a specific channel?

Thanks

rascal69

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

My wii is currently at firmware 3.1E, I have installed the homebrew channel and bootmii as boot 2, I have also backed up my wii's nand.

I am interested in upgrading my wii to 4.0E via your offline guide. I have downloaded the files required from www.mediafire.com and transfered everything from the sd folder to the root of my sd card as per the guide.

I don't understand how I perform step 8) (Run Trucha Bug Restorer and choose "IOS36" and pick "Downgrade IOS15" and "Load IOS from sd card" then restart) & 9) (Run Trucha Bug Restorer again and choose "IOS15" then "IOS36 menu" set "IOS to slot 36" and "yes" "yes" "yes" to the 3 options then press "Install patched IOS36" and "Load IOS from sd card") of your guide; as there is no trucha bug restorer file/folder on my sd card. Could someone please explain how to do this and what these steps actually do? Do I actually need to do these steps as I am on version 3.1E which still has the trucha bug exploit as far as I am aware?

A couple of other things I would like to clarify: 1) After I upgrade I will be unable to launch my backups through the disc channel (I have a d2key chip installed), instead I will require gecko to load them?
2) Do I need to install preloader as I thought bootmii installed at boot 2 with a nand backup would allow me to recover my wii from any brick state?
and 3) Will I be able to play wad files (wiiware etc.) from the sd card after this upgrade?

Thanks.

ThaDraGun

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
5) Open the config menu (gears) and choose backup NAND (green arrow) wait for it to finish and restart the Wii
QUOTE said:
How do I choose the Config Menu (gears)? As soon as I go into bootmii my controller disconnects from the wii. If I hit a button to try to get it to reconnect, it doesnt..

Nevermind:

QUOTEWii remote doesnt work with BootMii. Use the buttons on the Wii.
Power=scroll right
Reset=select.

I thought that might be the reason so tried reset and it just reset everything (cuz it was on wii menu of course) so I didnt think that was working.

EDIT AGAIN:
Still, doesnt work for me! Power button does nothing. Reset button just resets the wii.
Do I have to do this step??

(Bootmii was installed as an IOS by the way)

RandomFool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm yeah... on number 11 on the offline one it says "Choose IOS249" but i dont see it... all i see is IOS254... what am i supposed to do here?

arapozo

Trophies
XP
Country
I was finally able to update to 4.1. Thanks for the guide.

I do have one problem, when I select the SD icon on the system menu, the Wii freezes when trying to load channels from the SD. Do you know how to solve this?

Bytten

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to offer up a big thank-you for this guide - finally, I was able to downgrade my Wii back to 3.2E.

Interestingly, I was able to do this all via a wired Ethernet connection, but I did/do have cIOS38 rev14 installed rather than cIOS36 rev10.

Deviyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arapozo said:
I was finally able to update to 4.1. Thanks for the guide.

I do have one problem, when I select the SD icon on the system menu, the Wii freezes when trying to load channels from the SD. Do you know how to solve this?
You still have BannerBomb on your SD card.

arapozo

Trophies
XP
Country
Should I just rename the private folder from BannerBomb and create a new empty one?

I didn't have a previous private folder on the root of the SD card.

Roobitz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GREAT GUIDE assassda! This has worked on every Wii I've tried it on so far (4+ now).

However I have some important updates you could implement.

1) The hackmii installer has been updated to v 0.3 now.

2) cIOS36 rev10 has been updated to cIOS38 rev14 and fixes a lot of errors when playing backup isos.

3) I always have to do step 12 before step 11 or I will get an error when the firmware updater tries to install the new menu. This has happened on EVERY console I've modded so far, and while I can't remember what the error was, I really think you should switch those two steps around.

4) the NeoGamma loader has been updated to R8beta1 now

5) Check out USB loader cfg! AWESOME.

Thanks for all your great work, hopefully you can make some use of these updates.

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Roobitz said:
GREAT GUIDE assassda! This has worked on every Wii I've tried it on so far (4+ now).

Thanks for all your great work, hopefully you can make some use of these updates.
Thank you, I will update the guide tomorow

Deniii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I follow the "Offline Downgrade/Upgrade" guide but at step 11, I don't install the wad 18 (cIOS60.wad), when I get to step 3 on the guide to load discs from the disc channel, will I get the "System Files Corrupt" message?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Roobitz said:

1) The hackmii installer has been updated to v 0.3 now.

2) cIOS36 rev10 has been updated to cIOS38 rev14 and fixes a lot of errors when playing backup isos.

3) I always have to do step 12 before step 11 or I will get an error when the firmware updater tries to install the new menu. This has happened on EVERY console I've modded so far, and while I can't remember what the error was, I really think you should switch those two steps around.

4) the NeoGamma loader has been updated to R8beta1 now

5) Check out USB loader cfg! AWESOME.

QUOTE(assassda @ Aug 28 2009, 09:05 PM) Thank you, I will update the guide tomorow

Also if you do update to have it use rev14, you should say to run the cIOS rev14 installer and have it use IOS36 because it prompts for what IOS to use and that's the whole point of using the Trucha Bug Restorer to restore the trucha bug to IOS36.

And regarding the doing step 12 before step 11, the 4.1 updater gives you an error if you do not have IOS60 installed on your system as I believe it is really meant to be an updater to 4.1 from 4.0. So if you are updating from 4.0 you can do it fine otherwise you would need to install IOS60 first (which is why doing step 12 first works). What you could also do is have them run the 4.0 updater first and then the 4.1 updater then still run dop IOS on IOS60 afterwards. Doing dop-IOS first and then running the updater should also work as well though.

The backup loader threads you link to are good enough as is. Neogamma R8 is as he said a beta, and I believe it was basically only meant to test out the geckoOS cheat system to be able to load codesets for brawl+/balanced brawl through usb loading. But it wasn't implemented properly so it doesn't work anyways so the thread you linked to has R7 which is good enough now anyways. When R8 is stable WiiPower will probably update that thread anyways so no point in changing that.

And USB loaders are basically just preference, if anyone wants to use a different one they can find whatever one they want to themselves in the backup loader forum.

And as a last note, I do suggest that you remove the IOS and cIOS downgrader steps. They really aren't necessary and are actually the only things holding this guide back from working on any Wii right now.

TheAnswer1313

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stupid question....

I followed all the steps and everything works just great.

I installed neogamma (running it in HBC)

Everytime I boot up with the SD card, it goes immediately to BootMii and then Preloader.......................is this necessary steps each time I turn my Wii on or am I able to disable them?

Thanks

neardark

Trophies
XP
Country
TheAnswer1313 said:
Stupid question....

I followed all the steps and everything works just great.

I installed neogamma (running it in HBC)

Everytime I boot up with the SD card, it goes immediately to BootMii and then Preloader.......................is this necessary steps each time I turn my Wii on or am I able to disable them?

Thanks

First of all create a temp bootmii folder on your sd and move the bootmii folder in to it, that should stop bootmii from booting, if you ever need to use bootmii again just copy it back to the root.

as for preloader goto settings and change the Auto boot option to systemmenu, it will now boot straight to your wii, if you have any problems PM me.

TheAnswer1313

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks it worked
smile.gif

w00dy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i'm stuck at the downgrade of ios15
frown.gif

so far i think my wii isn't a lh64+, the serienumber begins with LEH191764xxx and the model type is rvl001
anny help?

EDIT:
Managed to get the downgrade, up next step, install patched ios36 :-) GREAT!

Then i have to run cIOS36_rev10-Installer but to i get this message:
Code:
[+] Patching Custom IOS, please wait...
>> Extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)

Pumpkin King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird.

I did everything that the online guide said, but my system menu is 3.2u and not 4.1u...

I do remember seeing an error near the end of the 4.1 firmware updater though. But the updater said it was finished, so I disregarded it and continued on with the last step. I don't know if I should try to run the updater again or not because I don't want to brick my wii...

What should I do?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
w00dy said:
i'm stuck at the downgrade of ios15
frown.gif

so far i think my wii isn't a lh64+, the serienumber begins with LEH191764xxx and the model type is rvl001
anny help?

EDIT:
Managed to get the downgrade, up next step, install patched ios36 :-) GREAT!

Then i have to run cIOS36_rev10-Installer but to i get this message:
Code:
[+] Patching Custom IOS, please wait...
>> Extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)

I'm kind of curious as to why more people aren't coming across this error doing this guide. I just don't see why it would work. You use the Trucha Bug Restorer to restore the trucha bug to IOS36, then you run this rev10 installer which should try to find the trucha bug in IOS249 to install when you never did install anything there before.

What you should do after using the Trucha Bug Restorer to install that IOS36 is run the cIOS rev14 installer and have that select IOS36 at the first prompt and continue to do the network installation (or wad installation for offline)

QUOTE(Pumpkin King @ Sep 1 2009, 08:33 PM) That's weird.

I did everything that the online guide said, but my system menu is 3.2u and not 4.1u...

I do remember seeing an error near the end of the 4.1 firmware updater though. But the updater said it was finished, so I disregarded it and continued on with the last step. I don't know if I should try to run the updater again or not because I don't want to brick my wii...

What should I do?

It most likely failed. The way this guide is set up currently, upgrading Wii's from anything below 4.0 will not work at that step because the 4.1 updater should give an error if you do not have an IOS60 installed beforehand.

You can either do the next step of installing the IOS60 with dop-IOS and then run the 4.1 updater, or you can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater first and then run the 4.1 updater after that.

Pumpkin King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I did the updater again and it worked.

Now my only problem is with the preloader. It says something like it can't find the hacks.ini file...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's always worth a shot