nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raphzthename said:
Hey all! This guide has changed somewhat since the last time I was here. I was able to successfully upgrade to 4.0 with three previous Wiis, but this time I'm having a bit of trouble on this 3.4U. I entered HBC and I'm installing cIOS36 rev13 per the instructions through the Network. I selected IOS36 and it had a little note saying that Custom IOS will be installed as IOS249. That all seems to match up perfectly with what was written on the guide.

I chose the Network installing and it starts downloading the patches, but then when installing the custom IOS, it returns an error. Here is what my screen says:

Code:
>> Content #15: 01 patches applied!
>> Content #01: 05 patches applied!
>> Content #17: 18 patches applied!
>> Title downloaded successfully!

[+] Adding contents, please wait...
ÂÂÂÂ>> Content #18 added successfully!
ÂÂÂÂ>> Content #19 added successfully!

[+] Installing Custom IOS, please wait...
ÂÂÂÂ>> Install ERROR! (ret = -2011)

[+] Finishing installation, please wait... OK!

Press any button to restart...

Would appreciate help in understanding this error and what steps should be taken to fix it. Thanks!

Why are you using IOS36? Does this Wii have anything else installed on it or are you try to start fresh using the online guide? The IOS you select in the installer basically just needs to be one that's still vulnerable and most likely IOS36 isn't on that Wii. If you have previously installed any form of cIOS and IOS249 is already on your Wii you would normally use that to update it.

I'm actually not sure why the online guide says cIOS OR 3.4 or lower. It will definitely work with any cIOS previously installed, but I was under the impression that you don't need to do any downgrading for 3.3/3.4, to install any cIOS, but still have to at least install a vulnerable IOS on it to do it such as IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad or IOS35-64-v1040.wad, and use whichever one you installed to install the cIOS.

I believe if you just install either one of those and then have the rev13 installer use that IOS it should work. The offline guide is a pretty sure fire method for most any Wii, but I think doing step B would be enough to start using the online guide(and then using IOS35 for the rev13 installer.)

BTW you also might want to fix the typo on that line for rev 13 also assassda. Shouldn't it be cIOS38 rev13? And also you could specify whether it's 13a or b.

And back to raphz, if that's why you used IOS36 to try to install it, that number has nothing to do with what you're supposed to use. It just says the the cIOS is based off of that IOS and then modified and it's revision 13. Normally they all have been based off cIOS36 so it was always cIOS36 rev__, but rev13 was based off IOS38 instead.

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone performed the offline method?
Success? Difficulties/Issues?

I would do the online method, but my WiFi for my Wii (not for other laptops in the house) is weird. During the connection test in Wii Settings, it says my connection is fine (and even prompts for a Wii Update, which I obviously decline), but then when I go into games (such as Super Smash Brothers Brawl, I can not connect online). But, for the News Channel, it shows headlines. So, my internet connection is not proper for the Wii or something like that.

Edit: I would like to only use my mod chip for backups. Does that mean I do not need the CIOSCORP (or something)? What other steps would I not need.

Basically:
-I want HBC, ability to play WiiWare/VC games, update to 4.0 but not the security parts, ability to play new games without official updates
Which steps would I follow and which ones do I avoid? (I have firmware 3.3U with Wii Key 2, and serial is LU62xxx....).
Thanks

D

Deleted User

IOwnAndPwnU said:

I would do the online method, but my WiFi for my Wii (not for other laptops in the house) is weird. During the connection test in Wii Settings, it says my connection is fine (and even prompts for a Wii Update, which I obviously decline), but then when I go into games (such as Super Smash Brothers Brawl, I can not connect online). But, for the News Channel, it shows headlines. So, my internet connection is not proper for the Wii or something like that.
offline works great its what i used.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:

Edit: I would like to only use my mod chip for backups. Does that mean I do not need the CIOSCORP (or something)? What other steps would I not need.

Basically:
-I want HBC, ability to play WiiWare/VC games, update to 4.0 but not the security parts, ability to play new games without official updates
Which steps would I follow and which ones do I avoid? (I have firmware 3.3U with Wii Key 2, and serial is LU62xxx....).
Thanks

Yes, you don't need (or want) CIOSCorp for using backups burned to DVDs. CIOSCorp probably causes more problems that it's worth.

I did the offline upgrade on two Wiis and it worked fine. BTW, make sure you don't have a LU64/LU65 wii. Otherwise, this can brick you!

raphzthename

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try the offline method. When I run prepare.bat it asks me to:

Code:
Please enter your desired System Menu version

Do you still need to downgrade to 3.2 before you can upgrade to 4.0 with the offline method? So in this case I would enter 3.2 as the desired System Menu?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
raphzthename said:

Code:

Do you still need to downgrade to 3.2 before you can upgrade to 4.0 with the offline method? So in this case I would enter 3.2 as the desired System Menu?

You enter your desired System Menu version.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raphzthename said:

Code:

No. You want the 4.0 type that matches your Wii. If it's a USA Wii, you want 4.0U.

raphzthename

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I seem to be having problems with the unpacking of the offline method. Content #15 froze while grabbing 0000000b. I read through the last 10 pages of this thread to try and figure out the online method again. If I'm understanding correctly, I don't need to use IOS36 in step 1? Just a vulnerable IOS? All I've done on this Wii so far is install HBC. I don't think any cIOS were installed.

EDIT: Never mind! I finally got prepare.bat to run properly and went through the offline method without a glitch. Fully updated to 4.0U now! Thanks for such a great guide!

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have been away from the wii scene for a while and anyway i have followed the online guide to the letter and everything works fine. I have installed cIOScorp as i had done before on my 3.2E system but now when i load my backup of mario kart i get the dreaded #001 error. unautorized device detected. I do not have a modchip. Mario kart worked fine through disc channel using cIOScorp before.

Any ideas??

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hdhacker said:
IOwnAndPwnU said:

Basically:
Thanks

Yes, you don't need (or want) CIOSCorp for using backups burned to DVDs. CIOSCorp probably causes more problems that it's worth.

I did the offline upgrade on two Wiis and it worked fine. BTW, make sure you don't have a LU64/LU65 wii. Otherwise, this can brick you!

Alright, so to my understanding, CIOScorp replaces all the Wii's IOS's with Custom IOS's and if you mess up during the install (i.e. power failure), your Wii is bricked.

Can anyone answer this still, please.
Basically:
Thanks

Solecist

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
I UNBRICKED MY WII WITH SUCESS !!! i used GC_Fix in another wii....catched the setting.txt of that console....and after it....i used again the GC_Fix in my wii with the same sd card....replaced the setting.txt in my console....and wii started working!
wink.gif

IchigoZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To nabster92,

Hey thanks i got it to work!! I seem to understand this guild a little thanks to you. See ya! I might post my
Results on youtube for Offline Downgrade/Upgrade (and instructions).

From IchigoZX

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone answer:
Basically:

Also, for the offline guide, does it install Preloader and/or BootMii. Because to my understanding, both of these can save your Wii.
Just correct me if I'm wrong:
Preloader - It is before the System Menu so if your Wii is messed, not the entire wii won't be working. It lets you load the HBC before the system menu on start up.
BootMii - Lets you backup your entire Wii onto an SD card so you can fix your bricked Wii. Lets you load the HBC before the System Menu.
Please clarify, and if possible, explain if you need both of them.

Thanks

garet12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok guys i tried it with the offline method which worked for me but i've got the problem that my wii freezes if i go into the sd menu i tried to empty my sd card and just put the games on it and that worked but thats not best solution because so i wouldn't have any homebrew on my card so is there any other way to solve this ?

edit: ok that doesn't work anymore it just freezes for whatever reason i tried formatting my card too but didn't do anything

IchigoZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK thats sucked..... step 6 on offline/downgrade upgrade

it say about installing ios35 64 V1040.wad

i download it put in the sd card, when i get to the channel sd slot, it freezes... what can i do to NOT get it to happen? why does it lag?

P.S: i did this for another friend mine just worked perfectly

Edit: Can i skip that step, or is that step important?

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
Should be stickied along with the same type of instruction but pointed towards earlier wiis, and a list or links of the upto date and relevant software needed for anyone to get the apps running usb loader etc. would help a lot of people i think.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nikeymikey said:
Hi all,
I have been away from the wii scene for a while and anyway i have followed the online guide to the letter and everything works fine. I have installed cIOScorp as i had done before on my 3.2E system but now when i load my backup of mario kart i get the dreaded #001 error. unautorized device detected. I do not have a modchip. Mario kart worked fine through disc channel using cIOScorp before.

Any ideas??

Did you follow the section in the guide here about getting CIOSCORP back on 4.0? There's an extra IOS you need to install that while having preloader will brick you, so you will have to reinstall preloader to fix it.

IOwnAndPwnU said:
Can anyone answer:
Basically:

Also, for the offline guide, does it install Preloader and/or BootMii. Because to my understanding, both of these can save your Wii.
Preloader - It is before the System Menu so if your Wii is messed, not the entire wii won't be working. It lets you load the HBC before the system menu on start up.
BootMii - Lets you backup your entire Wii onto an SD card so you can fix your bricked Wii. Lets you load the HBC before the System Menu.

Thanks

Preloader takes the place of the System menu IOS basically and moves the system menu somewhere else, so if you delete IOS60 or something for some stupid reason you will kill both your system menu AND preloader and be screwed. Bootmii installs to boot2 if your wii has a vulnerable boot1 (if bought pre mid 2008ish) , which is a boot section that loads completely before the system menu. So the bootmii menu loads before the system menu as well, but doesn't rely on anything that you can feasibly mess with, and with it's option to backup your nand it offers 100% brick protection on it's own and is a lot safer than preloader. If you can install bootmii to boot2, you have enough protection brickwise and preloader is not necessary, but won't hurt to have as well. Preloader can also enable system hacks such as skipping disc update checks and what not, but this can also be done by startpatch on 4.0 without moving your system menu around.

If you can only install bootmii as an IOS on your system then definitely get preloader as the IOS version won't protect you from bricks unless you do certain things that would allow you to autoboot from a disc or something (not fully sure on the specifics of that).

This guide doesn't involve bootmii at all because assassda hadn't done much testing with it and didn't want to put it in his guide as a result I think. If you want to install it, from where you are, you can run bannerbomb with the boot.elf of the hackmii installer from bootmii.org on the root of your sd card instead, and use that to install the most recent HBC and bootmii. Then you can make a nand backup before you do anything to your Wii. Just remember you need a GC controller to control bootmii, or the power button to go right and reset button to select on the system itself. (only works in boot2 version)

Since your Wii is an LU62 I'm assuming it's too new to install to boot2 though, but going by serial numbers alone isn't always indicative of that so you could try running the hackmii installer anyways and if it says you can't install to boot2, just install the IOS version and then follow the offline guide for everything else.

The offline guide will have you install preloader at the end of it.

garet12 said:
ok guys i tried it with the offline method which worked for me but i've got the problem that my wii freezes if i go into the sd menu i tried to empty my sd card and just put the games on it and that worked but thats not best solution because so i wouldn't have any homebrew on my card so is there any other way to solve this ?

edit: ok that doesn't work anymore it just freezes for whatever reason i tried formatting my card too but didn't do anything

QUOTE(IchigoZX @ Jun 22 2009, 08:18 PM)
OK thats sucked..... step 6 on offline/downgrade upgrade

it say about installing ios35 64 V1040.wad

i download it put in the sd card, when i get to the channel sd slot, it freezes... what can i do to NOT get it to happen? why does it lag?

P.S: i did this for another friend mine just worked perfectly

Edit: Can i skip that step, or is that step important?

I think both of these have to do with bannerbomb. If you guys already used it to install the HBC you could delete the "private" folder on your sd card to remove bannerbomb (unless you have other vc games/game saves on it. Then you have to go into the private folder and delete the folder with the title ID that bannerbomb was.) and then run any apps through the HBC by putting the boot.dol for them in an "apps" folder on the root of the sd card and then the boot.dol's in their own folders within that folder. (ex. root:\apps\wad manager\boot.dol ) Then open up the HBC and run the app you want.

garet12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nabster92 said:
I think both of these have to do with bannerbomb. If you guys already used it to install the HBC you could delete the "private" folder on your sd card to remove bannerbomb (unless you have other vc games/game saves on it. Then you have to go into the private folder and delete the folder with the title ID that bannerbomb was.) and then run any apps through the HBC by putting the boot.dol for them in an "apps" folder on the root of the sd card and then the boot.dol's in their own folders within that folder. (ex. root:\apps\wad manager\boot.dol ) Then open up the HBC and run the app you want.

thanks buddy you helped me a lot
biggrin.gif

i had to remove bannerbomb from the private folder

lagged2hell

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for some assistance here... I might have done something wrong.

So after the online version step "4) Run the 4.0 Updater". Everything went fine (after about 30 minutes of running) and it said press any key to restart. So I did and the system restarted normally. Only problem is that now the homebrew channel won't start at all. I simply get a black screen when I try to go back in and do step 5.

I should mention that before I started the online method that the homebrew channel said there was a update available and asked if I wanted to update and I did. I also installed DVDX as that was an option as well.

Any advise for this one? Should I attempt the offline method to see if I can get homebrew channel reinstalled?

Thanks guys!

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nabster92 said:
IOwnAndPwnU said:
Can anyone answer:
Basically:

Thanks

Preloader takes the place of the System menu IOS basically and moves the system menu somewhere else, so if you delete IOS60 or something for some stupid reason you will kill both your system menu AND preloader and be screwed. Bootmii installs to boot2 if your wii has a vulnerable boot1 (if bought pre mid 2008ish) , which is a boot section that loads completely before the system menu. So the bootmii menu loads before the system menu as well, but doesn't rely on anything that you can feasibly mess with, and with it's option to backup your nand it offers 100% brick protection on it's own and is a lot safer than preloader. If you can install bootmii to boot2, you have enough protection brickwise and preloader is not necessary, but won't hurt to have as well. Preloader can also enable system hacks such as skipping disc update checks and what not, but this can also be done by startpatch on 4.0 without moving your system menu around.

If you can only install bootmii as an IOS on your system then definitely get preloader as the IOS version won't protect you from bricks unless you do certain things that would allow you to autoboot from a disc or something (not fully sure on the specifics of that).

This guide doesn't involve bootmii at all because assassda hadn't done much testing with it and didn't want to put it in his guide as a result I think. If you want to install it, from where you are, you can run bannerbomb with the boot.elf of the hackmii installer from bootmii.org on the root of your sd card instead, and use that to install the most recent HBC and bootmii. Then you can make a nand backup before you do anything to your Wii. Just remember you need a GC controller to control bootmii, or the power button to go right and reset button to select on the system itself. (only works in boot2 version)

Since your Wii is an LU62 I'm assuming it's too new to install to boot2 though, but going by serial numbers alone isn't always indicative of that so you could try running the hackmii installer anyways and if it says you can't install to boot2, just install the IOS version and then follow the offline guide for everything else.

The offline guide will have you install preloader at the end of it.

I was successful in getting the Homebrew Channel installed (I think v1.01 because it asked me to update to v1.03 but I declined). I used the offline method mentioned here and I skipped steps A-B because I think I had already done it. But BootMii is still in beta mode (?) so I'm not going to bother installing it. I've got Preloader and I won't do anything extreme. Now to get some stuff on it.

Thanks anyway though!

P.S. The guide is a bit vague but eventually you will figure it out.
tongue.gif

P.S.S. I upgraded to 4.0 and when I used the SD card (the same one with the same files from the guide) in the new SD channel, it just froze. I'm assuming that is supposed to happen because there are files there which shouldn't be. Am I correct in saying this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol +2