Jayenkai

Makes Games
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recently (End of January) bought a Nexus 7 tablet, for the purposes of testing my Android Games.
I also have an iPad.

The iPad gets used so much that it's battery drops to about 30% by the end of each day, and needs a complete recharge so that it's ready for the next day.
By comparison, the Nexus 7 gets connected to the PC once a week, has that week's game tested for about 10 minutes, then sits unused for the rest of the week.

In my case, it's not about "Android vs iOS".
It's more about the fact that I still have a perfectly good iOS device sitting here, I have a good selection of Apps on it, and am more comfortable using it.
The Android literally only has the pre-installed stuff, and all my own games on it.
.. That's it..
It's barely touched.

One day I might bother to make better use of the thing, but.. Not while the iPad's still up and running!

I'm guessing that, since you mention having an iPhone, you're in the same sort of scenario. You might have to go Cold Turkey before you learn to make the switch!

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just like to say I have an old D Inc 2 with gingerbread and it still runs fine with gingerbread and over 100 apps. Granted, OPs phone is crap, but you can still have a nice older phone. Even though I'll admit my wife s new Droid DNA does run circles around it.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I still have no idea why raulpica has so much trouble with his. I know my phone is marginally newer but I have more than 40 apps installed and have no issue anything like what he's describing. I don't know what he has installed or whether there is any task killer getting in the way or not, but the problems he's having are not representative of Android, not even Galaxy S III users on the whole.

A couple of points that did come to mind is the joy of not having your homescreen just being a row of icons, and there are better keyboards.
This post fortifies my conviction that ProtoKun7 is somehow paid by Google (or maybe he's just married to the little Android guy).

I have two friends which have S3 minis (stock, no root) and they have the same problems as me.

Tried a clean/custom install/ROM? It's like Windows, the default ones are often crappily-done, I can't tell you how many times somebody's computer has performed like absolute crap, then a simple reinstall of an unmodified copy of Windows made it behave. It's even more common with Android as they'll replace or add controls and junk to the system, it's not just services and junk.
While I can't afford to do that to my own smartphone, since I have far too little free time to do it comfortably, I've done that to my friend's S3 mini. The problems disappeared for a week, just to reappear.

I've flashed custom ROMs since Windows Mobile 2002, so I know my stuff (nope, not a newbie like some of you might've thought) - and I've always had more problems than benefits from doing so. I have a friend who has flashed his S2 with CyanogenMod and somehow he couldn't run TomTom anymore with it. He had to return back to stock.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
"SOMEBODY HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION/EXPERIENCE THEREFORE THERE IS FOUL PLAY"? Calm down, christ.

I had issues with my Transformer Prime that went away with flashing a custom ROM, but mainly shit that was obviously done by ASUS (such as not allowing the browser to download APK files, not allowing APK transfer through bluetooth, etc.)

Reactions: jax604

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This post fortifies my conviction that ProtoKun7 is somehow paid by Google (or maybe he's just married to the little Android guy).

I have two friends which have S3 minis (stock, no root) and they have the same problems as me.

While I can't afford to do that to my own smartphone, since I have far too little free time to do it comfortably, I've done that to my friend's S3 mini. The problems disappeared for a week, just to reappear.

I've flashed custom ROMs since Windows Mobile 2002, so I know my stuff (nope, not a newbie like some of you might've thought) - and I've always had more problems than benefits from doing so. I have a friend who has flashed his S2 with CyanogenMod and somehow he couldn't run TomTom anymore with it. He had to return back to stock.

Ah Windows Mobile those was the days xD I jumped in with Win Mo 2003 on a O2 XDA

P

pasc

Well an iPhone would suck if it weren't for the so called "Jailbreak".

Howver as long as it exists:

iOS > Android

Thats only my opinion.
I know enough people who stay ways from Apple products due to their high prize.

However I find those same Apple products to be very sturdy.
Never once has one of their products failed on me.
And lets not forget that Android fragmention and the fact that they will often leave out older handsets when it comes to new updates.
So much more effective on iOS.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well an iPhone would suck if it weren't for the so called "Jailbreak".And lets not forget that Android fragmention and the fact that they will often leave out older handsets when it comes to new updates.
So much more effective on iOS.

Yes, they just update the older phones and take out the features that they could still actually support.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
Could any android user fill me in on what I am missing here and whats supposed to blow me away and make me hate my iPhone?

There are two areas where Android now seems to have the advantage:

1) There are a ton of budget phones that offer a decent experience. Carrier subsidized phones can be free or cost very little.

2) Android appears to be advancing at a faster pace than iOS. Competition drives innovation in the Android space. Apple is content to offer small incremental improvements on slightly less than state of the art technology.

In this day and age moving from one phone to another isn't going to produce a mind blowing experience.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
There are two areas where Android now seems to have the advantage:

1) There are a ton of budget phones that offer a decent experience. Carrier subsidized phones can be free or cost very little.

2) Android appears to be advancing at a faster pace than iOS. Competition drives innovation in the Android space. Apple is content to offer small incremental improvements on slightly less than state of the art technology, while still selling at ridiculously high prices.

In this day and age moving from one phone to another isn't going to produce a mind blowing experience.

Fix'd.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fact that they will often leave out older handsets when it comes to new updates.
that really only has to do with manufactures and carrier laziness rather than google
apple is a lot worse when it comes to product updates for older devices and their crap store os requirements making sure older devices do not get any new or updated apps from the store basically forcing people to buy another overpriced device only to have it abandoned in less than a year

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
While that is true, it's not like the Galaxy S4 is any cheaper. An unlocked iPhone 5 16GB is $649 and the Galaxy S4 16GB is $639.
$10 cheaper for generally much newer tech and faster performance? You see what I'm saying.

Nevertheless though, I had no idea that the newer Galaxy S models had gotten that expensive. Good grief.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are all like that, those are non subsidized models
I'll take the subsidized model any day of the week and save $500-550

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I have been trying to find what is supposed to be so "wow" about the OS it just feels "meh" to me, Am I missing something?

No. Android is a bit of a "meh" operating system. It's Linux (I think... they added it back into the kernel, right?), so it's really good for developers and people who have a lot of free time and want a hobby because you can spend hours and hours and hours and hours customizing it and trying to make it not "meh".

Although I work with Android a lot, I would not want to use it as a phone - it gets far too cluttered far too easily. It's really more suited as a desktop OS than a mobile one.

I can't comment on iOS as I have never used it.

I've been a Windows Phone user since the OS came out (even used Windows Mobile 6.0 back in the day), and find it to be a very mobile friendly OS that lets me get done what I want to get done and then get back to my life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol that reminds me I am like 60% sure my step daughter is dead...
    Meth addicts don't move out of a house they are trying to sell and the boyfriend says she moved and does not know where lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was about to be like can't wait for gta6 so @Psionic Roshambo can tell me places to go then you drop that
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But gta6 will be in Psi hometown, and all cars will have a women on the roof, booty shaking.
    +2
    That was a thing here in Florida for a minute
    Like cars with the booty shaking lol I seen it once in person was like smiling lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm talking about visiting areas he hides his bodies at
    Vice City kind of feels like Miami lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, it's a parody iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea think that's where it was supposed to be, Miami
    +1
    Having been to Miami hmmm probably a hundred times lol
    Back in my days as a delivery driver for a cartel well driver slash guy they would send if a payment was forgotten lol
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    Always some women screaming... You break a few thousand dollars worth of crap in someone's living room and they scream lol
    lol Ken yeah the things I did as a kid I am soooo glad those didn't exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If someone breaks my $20 TV stand their nose is getting broke
    Psi would be doing like 300-3,000 years in prison lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psi was a bad bad man at one point lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a GTA based on your life
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: We need a GTA based on your life