Android Underwhelmed by Android...

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly gets so cluttered about it?

For one, there's no way to organize application in the app drawer. That means that if you have more than, say, half a dozen apps, you eyes go all cross-eyed when you open the drawer because they're all just right there all jumble up - your productivity apps are next to your phone apps are next to your games. It's not even a list either, it's a grid, which is very difficult (for me) to navigate quickly.

For comparison, on Windows Phone, all of your games get put into the games hub so they're out of sight unless you are looking for them. Your full apps list is actually a single column list as well, making it much easier (for me) to find the app that I want.

Then you have the whole "desktop" malarkey on Android. Why do you need a desktop on a mobile OS? The desktop exists on PC's so that you can have easy window-management and view multiple applications at the same time. When will you ever do that on a phone? Not only that, but more than one of them?

P.S. - Also, most Android users have a weather widget on their desktop that displays the time... even though the time is always shown in the top left of the screen. Nice.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
For one, there's no way to organize application in the app drawer. That means that if you have more than, say, half a dozen apps, you eyes go all cross-eyed when you open the drawer because they're all just right there all jumble up - your productivity apps are next to your phone apps are next to your games. It's not even a list either, it's a grid, which is very difficult (for me) to navigate quickly.
"App drawer"? What is?

For comparison, on Windows Phone, all of your games get put into the games hub so they're out of sight unless you are looking for them.
Android home screens have multiple pages, I keep my games separate from the other things. You can make folders and junk to group your stuff too.

Your full apps list is actually a single column list as well, making it much easier (for me) to find the app that I want.
osf1.png

Then you have the whole "desktop" malarkey on Android. Why do you need a desktop on a mobile OS?
iOS uses the whole "desktop" thing too. As well it's not just icons, you can put widgets there to give you information or provide quick access to controls (mainly the controls are the most useful).

The desktop exists on PC's so that you can have easy window-management and view multiple applications at the same time. When will you ever do that on a phone?
When you use your phone for more than just a caller and web browser? Remember that Android is not just for phones.

Not only that, but more than one of them?
Different desktops for different tasks, most people use it like that. My main page has all my important/communication stuff...
b3j2.png
Then another screen has games, another has my settings and controls and technical apps (ad blocker, lucky patcher, wifi analyzer, etc.)

P.S. - Also, most Android users have a weather widget on their desktop that displays the time... even though the time is always shown in the top left of the screen. Nice.
No it's not.
9ept.png
"Fullscreen" apps (lots of games, youtube going fullscreen, etc.) hide the info bar.

At least, this is on mostly-stock. Phone companies and such will make all sorts of (often unwanted) additions/changes to Android.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"App drawer"? What is?

..the app drawer? You know, that thing with the apps in? You get to it by pressing the little circle with like 6 dots in it. Anyone? Just me?

Android home screens have multiple pages, I keep my games separate from the other things. You can make folders and junk to group your stuff too.

Yes, but if you use the desktop for that, why is there an app drawer? The home screens/desktop only work to solve a problem that shouldn't exist.

That's the Settings app, not the app drawer. That's not even all your apps.

iOS uses the whole "desktop" thing too. As well it's not just icons, you can put widgets there to give you information or provide quick access to controls (mainly the controls are the most useful).

I was not commenting on iOS. I actually specifically said I have never used it.

When you use your phone for more than just a caller and web browser? Remember that Android is not just for phones.

But OP is talking about phones. Yes?

Different desktops for different tasks, most people use it like that. My main page has all my important/communication stuff...
b3j2.png
Then another screen has games, another has my settings and controls and technical apps (ad blocker, lucky patcher, wifi analyzer, etc.)

Yes... But as previously stated, you shouldn't have to do this.

No it's not.
9ept.png
"Fullscreen" apps (lots of games, youtube going fullscreen, etc.) hide the info bar.

So having that widget is helping you in those situations?

At least, this is on mostly-stock. Phone companies and such will make all sorts of (often unwanted) additions/changes to Android.

Yet another problem with Android.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When android first launched it was truly superior to the iphone. At this point though, I honestly see little difference between the two. I'll continue to use Android devices though since I've grown so used to it, and they're much more affordable while doing all the same things. Really just comes down to preference and what you'd prefer to spend.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your home screens you can put whatever you want there, people put their favorite apps and most commonly used ones, the app drawer has every app installed on your device so if you made shortcuts on your home screen you will rarely have to go in there
and for lists https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=JakedUp.AppDrawer&hl=en

True, plus you can put widgets and whatnot on the homescreen(s). Unless I'm missing something, you can't have widgets in your app drawer.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When android first launched it was truly superior to the iphone. At this point though, I honestly see little difference between the two. I'll continue to use Android devices though since I've grown so used to it, and they're much more affordable while doing all the same things. Really just comes down to preference and what you'd prefer to spend.

One word why Apple is inferior: Censorship.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For comparison, on Windows Phone, all of your games get put into the games hub so they're out of sight unless you are looking for them. Your full apps list is actually a single column list as well, making it much easier (for me) to find the app that I want.

Then you have the whole "desktop" malarkey on Android. Why do you need a desktop on a mobile OS? The desktop exists on PC's so that you can have easy window-management and view multiple applications at the same time. When will you ever do that on a phone? Not only that, but more than one of them?

I'd like to post a few screenshots straight from my phone to completely invalidate every claim you just made against Android.

Here, look at my folders in my app drawer!

Here, look at my column, not grid, app drawer!

Here, look at my status bar not having a clock while no app is open, where a clock widget would come in handy!

Now, the first two are accomplished solely with Nova Launcher, a free launcher replacement (granted, I'm using the paid version (which is about $2), these features may or may not be available for free). Hey, that's something you can't do on iOS. The third is, I admit, due to a setting I can change in my custom rom, but I still feel it invalidates your argument because the possibility to make that clock disappear is completely there.

Edit - and to make a few rebuttals - maybe YOUR eyes go all cross eyed when you have more than 6 apps in an app drawer. I'm perfectly used to it (hey, it's just like looking at a desktop on a Windows computer and I'm sure you get along fine with that). It takes much longer to scroll down a list of 100 apps than it does to scroll down a 7x5 grid of apps, and if you memorize where your more frequently used apps are in relation to others, you can do it more or less autonomously. I'll take a few icons and desktop pages as opposed to having 4 or 5 pastel rectangles on my screen that provide semi-relevant information. Also, time is by default shown in the top right, not top left, in every Android version I've seen.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
iOS and Android are not all that different. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages but there's not a thing that can let me say Android is infinitely better than iOS or vice-versa. They're both smartphone's Operating Systems, in the end what really matter is if you're satisfied with the one you use. If you ask me, I prefer a good old-fashioned laptop more than any tablet or smartphone and I only use my smartphone to browser the internet while I'm not home.

Now, between Android and iOS, personally I am not very fond with Apple's policy and I think that they impose some ridiculous restrictions for their users but this is more of an ideological discussion.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Android feels like a cheap whore.
It's on all the cheap phones and cheap chinese tables.

And there's not support for apps like amplitube.
A wel as long a I can make a phone call I'm happy.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's also on very expensive devices as well, with build quality exceed iOS devices.

Agreed!
Feels more like cheap whore is a villa mansion!

The problem to me is that some apps on older cheaper, less powerfull devices tens to work not as wel as they supposed to.
I know they work better on more powerfull devices, yet they are still available on google apps store. If you bought any of those apps it's a shame you cannot run them well enough.
They really should filter apps on system specs....
As a result some apps can feel buggy, while they actually not.
My overall experiance with android is so, so.
My next tables will be a proper Windows Tablet.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed!
Feels more like cheap whore is a villa mansion!

The problem to me is that some apps on older cheaper, less powerfull devices tens to work not as wel as they supposed to.
I know they work better on more powerfull devices, yet they are still available on google apps store. If you bought any of those apps it's a shame you cannot run them well enough.
They really should filter apps on system specs....
As a result some apps can feel buggy, while they actually not.
My overall experiance with android is so, so.
My next tables will be a proper Windows Tablet.

You know you have 15 minutes after buying an app to refund your purchase, right?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You know you have 15 minutes after buying an app to refund your purchase, right?

actually it's 7 working days
But I regress, I'll use android to make my phone calls.
If I want to play or do some " apping" I'll use a windows 8 based tablet in the future.
( also nice that I can use my windows programs )

This does not change my unbiased experience.
Also I do not care for all that shizzle phone spec thingy, that a hype right now.
A PHONE IS TO MAKE A PHONE CALL.
Those phones ( or what they call them today...) are more something out of startrek.
I really hate the "all in one"tendency, nowadays.
Maybe I'm getting old, but things feel alot less "original" in this time and day.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is basic info. Android has a lot more to it, like, you can get adobe flash player and use it as a full web browser, and so much more.

<iframe width="555" height="1665" src="http://www.diffen.com/difference/Android_vs_iOS?embed"></iframe>
Adobe Flash should be eradicated from the Internet as a whole. It's one of the worst things happened to PCs.

Luckily Smartphones were immune to it, before Adobe thought of laying waste and decay on Smartphone-land too by releasing a version of Flash for Android.

Reactions: Thanatos Telos
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just can't believe the OP said that he preferred playing around with a Blackberry more than he did Android :O

My HTC One X is currently in for repair and I am using my old BB and I can't even explain how terrible it is ... BB's just don't work

I've been an Android fanboy since Eclair , Android just seems to do everything that I need to smoothly and as people say, I like how I can customise the phone to anything I want, plus I just think the actual phones that run android are nicer than iPhones ( Some windows phone also look beautiful )

Reactions: Duo8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...