Untitled Goose Game's publisher is making a gaming handheld that has a crank on the side

wuCBV4U.png

Publisher Panic Inc. is jumping into the gaming hardware market with a new, quirky invention. Panic is known for being a mobile app developer, though they have had prior experience with the gaming industry through publishing 2016's hit indie game Firewatch, and are currently in the process of publishing the wildly odd Untitled Goose Game. Now, the company feels it's the perfect time to get into the hardware market by creating the Playdate, a small handheld gaming device. It bears a striking yellow shell and features a traditional layout of a D-pad and two face buttons. The screen is a 400x240 LCD, which Panic boasts as being "extremely sharp and clear", and outputs only in black and white.

What stands out the most about the Playdate is that there is a crank on the right side of the system. This oddity will be used as an analog input for games that "will put a whole new spin on games", as quipped by Panic. Launching in early 2020, the Playdate will cost $149, and will be in short supply. Twelve games are planned for launch, with Keita Takahashi (Katamari Damacy), Shaun Inman (The Last Rocket), and Bennet Foddy (QWOP, Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy) slated to be some of the developers working on titles for the system.

If anything, the Playdate is certainly a unique product. More information will be coming in the future, so if you're interested in the weird little yellow handheld gaming device that has a crank on the side, be sure keep an eye out for further updates.

:arrow: Source

momin

Trophies
XP
Country
I really love that they introduce a new interaction way / controller to the way we play games.

Price is high, yes. But if they keep releasing games and publish tools for us to develop games, I'M IN.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
that design is not ergonomic at all. probably will crash and burn just like other non-nintendo handheld. what niche they are trying to target? stupid parents?

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definitely like the form factor and the build quality, but I wouldn't buy that. Maybe if they actually gave it a shot and made a real game system (Color LCD, Dual Speakers, an Analog Nub, and a few more buttons) it would be good.

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This might sound entitled but: What the f*ck are they thinking? They should be spending their time finishing the Untitled Goose Game...

EDIT: I am stupid and just realized that it's the publisher and not the devs that are developing the handheld.

Last edited by Kadji,

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
I like the look of it but the price is OTT. Can see this being a fad in Japan then the west for all of a month (anyone remember the Barcode Battler?).

Reactions: MetoMeto

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I kinda like it. Okay, only if it is an all aluminium/metal Body and games are for free.

I Always wantet to see an handheld with a full metal body.

About the games, they wrote it in the product page:

"All twelve games in Season One will be included — there’s no extra charge."

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is a great idea.
Short supply, so it can't sink the developer. They produce the quantity they can afford and throw them to the market. Possibly, if they sell half of the units, they make even.

Quirky games, with weird form factor will always find their target users.

I like it, but I won't certainly be able to get one, and wouldn't pay scalpers in the aftermarket.

They won't get rich out of it but they will leave their mark, I guess.

I like these ideas.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are rarer input devices that I can see adding things to games -- roller balls, aspects of joysticks like tilt hats, throttle sticks and what have you but a crank is one I have a hard time coming up with non minigame uses for. That or they are going to emulate one armed bandits.

Maybe it will get half life 2 and they can justify the wait for a lift.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's a gimmick handheld, and there's nothing wrong with those - I liked my Pokemon Mini back in the day - but 150$? I guess it might sell some units and they won't go broke over it if the supply is small enough, but it seems like a shame most of the games that will be developed (as few as they may be) for this might not make it to any other platform.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh, man...that's certainly one bold move from those devs! :blink:

What? That handle? I wasn't talking about...no, not about the black & white screen either.

I'm talking about it only having two buttons.

Look...seriously: even if that on/off button has more functions (small tap to pause?), then that's severely limiting the potential of the device.

Of course I can be a bit skeptic about the handle (ergonomics 101 says hi), but it's too early to say anything about that. If the product quality and the games are there, it might just make a profit.

...then again: for a 150 bucks price, this better be "better than sliced bread" quality. Not everyone can pull a nintendo*. Heck...not even nintendo can consistently pull a nintendo. :P

*that is: make something completely weird and off the wall, and get away with it.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Breaking news nintendo sues as this handheld is to similar to the Nintendo yellow question mark block:lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu