Homebrew Question Updating System Firmware With Daybreak

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did consider this but was turned off by the bad rep this had a few years back for potential link to bricked consoles. I assume this has been resolved since? I can't remember what the issue was but I think it was related to consoles running out of battery while in autorcm

If you don't let the battery died then you be fine to be in autoRCM mode if that worry you. AutoRCM won't brick the unit, you just need to let it charge then push a payload again.

Autorcm preserve the fuse for you.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You could also keep the thing on 4.1.0 and use emummc instead, with caffeine. Then you don't need rcm and you don't burn fuses, as long as you don't update sysmmc. It's definitely a good idea to do whatever you can to preserve fuses though, these types of non-rcm exploits can be very nice to have.

MarkusAntonius

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
You could also keep the thing on 4.1.0 and use emummc instead, with caffeine. Then you don't need rcm and you don't burn fuses, as long as you don't update sysmmc. It's definitely a good idea to do whatever you can to preserve fuses though, these types of non-rcm exploits can be very nice to have.
Thanks, I activated autorcm and I like how it works.
I also created an emummc and updated it to the latest Switch firmware (14.1.1) with Daybreak. One downside I didn't consider is that I now no longer have access to the gamecard (and by extension the full RAM access for Homebrew) but I can live with this as I'm only using to install my new legitimately held games...

I tried 2 different installers (Awoo and Tinwoo. Couldn't get Tinfoil installed) but the games refuse to play. It says:

"Could not start the software. Please try again from the HOME menu"

Kirby and the forgotten land wont start while I'm in Airplane mode and wants to do a check on the internet...

I have all the latest versions of the software and atmosphere (+sigpatches) so not sure where I'm going wrong here. Maybe it has something to do with product keys or title keys or other such issue..

Reactions: Takokeshi

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
One downside I didn't consider is that I now no longer have access to the gamecard (and by extension the full RAM access for Homebrew)
You can let it use gamecard, it will burn gamecard fuses though of course so you wouldn't be able to use game cards below 12.0.0 anymore if you did.

Title takeover for hbmenu works fine with digital games anyway, you don't need a functional game card slot to have that.

Reactions: MarkusAntonius

MarkusAntonius

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
You can let it use gamecard, it will burn gamecard fuses though of course so you wouldn't be able to use game cards below 12.0.0 anymore if you did.

Title takeover for hbmenu works fine with digital games anyway, you don't need a functional game card slot to have that.
Ah, that's a relief that it doesn't have to be a gamecard game! In this case I might retain my gamecard fuses seeing as my stock switch is still at 4.1.0.

I think the issues I'm having with installing games (and tinfoil corruption problems) may be due to general 14.1.1 teething issues (just from doing some searching online, a few others are having issues with this firmware). I should have tried a lower FW version to begin with.

Update: Unfortunately the problem persists after downgrading to 13.1.0. Everything I install gets an '!' (exclamation point) on the home menu. It says the software is corrupted. I will have to do some more trouble shooting.

Update2.0: I found the solution!! Instead of booting through Hekate, I booted fusee.bin directly through TegraRCMgui (for some reason it booted into my emuMMC rather than eMMC). This allowed me to install the full version of tinfoil (this was important as Tinfoil, Awoo or Tinwoo don't seem to work well in HB Applet mode). I was then able to install a game which finally allowed me to use the Title takeover method (pressing 'R'). Now all my new games are installing and working perfectly! I'm delighted.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by MarkusAntonius,
Reactions: Takokeshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i wasnt even born when fox kids/jetix was alive