Upgrading NDS to another model questions

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey again y’all, I grabbed a nds fat model from my local game store last week, and after playing around with the Flashcart I got in the mail, I can say one thing, the screens and size sucks.

So with their 30 return policy, I’m gonna go back and ether get a ds lite, so I can still use my gba slot, or a dsi.

I was wondering from a hacking and homebrew perspective, how much do you really get going from ds to dsi

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First of all, the screen of the DSi is a little larger than the DS lite. DSi XL is much bigger, but the graphics of the games will be coarser, angular and pixelated. With DSi, from SD slot, you will be able to play dsiware games and, as for homebrew games, you will be able to enjoy e.g. old fps ports (DScent, DS Doom, cheretic, cquake, DualHexen) without problems of freezes and crashes (very frequent from flashcart on DS) given the more RAM available. Moreover, the development of ports on DSi is still flourishing, thanks in part to various initiatives undertaken by yours truly. 😉

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, the screen of the DSi is a little larger than the DS lite. DSi XL is much bigger, but the graphics of the games will be coarser, angular and pixelated. With DSi, from SD slot, you will be able to play dsiware games and, as for homebrew games, you will be able to enjoy e.g. old fps ports (DScent, DS Doom, cheretic, cquake, DualHexen) without problems of freezes and crashes (very frequent from flashcart on DS) given the more RAM available. Moreover, the development of ports on DSi is still flourishing, thanks in part to various initiatives undertaken by yours truly. 😉

I want to thank you so much for this information, but I actually just stumbled upon after it being lost for like 5 years, my old 2ds and dsi!
With them and by sacrificing black 2 and white 2, I’m gonna trade in and get a new 3ds XL finally

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering from a hacking and homebrew perspective, how much do you really get going from ds to dsi
Since you're using a flashcart, it really depends on the kind you're using, some might work fine without installing cfw on the dsi, and some do require it to bypass the flashcart whitelist put by Nintendo.
As for the DS Lite, your flashcart should work fine with it.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
With DSi, from SD slot, you will be able to play dsiware games and, as for homebrew games, you will be able to enjoy e.g. old fps ports (DScent, DS Doom, cheretic, cquake, DualHexen) without problems of freezes and crashes (very frequent from flashcart on DS) given the more RAM available.
I wouldn't agree with that. While newer homebrew titles benefit from the additional ram of the DSi, much of the DS homebrew library simply requires a flashcart because it's broken in DSi mode. Also, DS lite can benefit from Slot-2 expansions like ram and rumble.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWb8Lb89dzg