• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US congressional leaders have reached agreement on COVID stimulus bill (UPDATE: signed into law)

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean the feckless president?
Let's not devolve into discussion about Trump's character which (of course) we all know much about
Lmao you mean it went back down from $2000 after Republicans blocked it for the amount Trump requested?
Semantics, it's signed. Of course Rs don't want to send out bigger checks, but I don't know why you wrote your reply that way - I never made any claims about why or why not it's still 600.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's not devolve into discussion about Trump's character which (of course) we all know much about

Semantics, it's signed. Of course Rs don't want to send out bigger checks, but I don't know why you wrote your reply that way - I never made any claims about why or why not it's still 600.
I'm specifically referring to how he handled this bill.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm specifically referring to how he handled this bill.
Well admittedly it would be nice to make that more clear. The politics section too often falls into bickering - so it's important to stay on topic.

But yeah I agree he waffled and basically accomplished nothing. Now if we want bigger checks we will have to hope the GA races have a favorable outcome.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well everyone gets there $600 now blame trump because it was so late and isnt enought to do shit with. Dont worry im sure they are already coming up with a new way to screw tax payers with another trillion or so bill that gives u $300 more in 6 months.

D

Deleted User

Well everyone gets there $600 now blame trump because it was so late.
still reasonably so since
https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/10/06/trump-kills-stimulus-talks/
since back in October he stated he wouldn't pass a stimulus bill until he was reelected.
Effectively taking it hostage, even if house and senate finally agreed.
“I have instructed my representatives to stop negotiating until after the election when, immediately after I win, we will pass a major Stimulus Bill that focuses on hardworking Americans and Small Business,” Trump wrote

Well everyone gets there $600 now blame trump because it was so late and isnt enought to do shit with.
As for that part, most are going to blame Mitch McConnell for that. Since really democrats and even Trump wanted to play ball with actually paying people what they needed. (only after trump lost the election like a sore looser. and even then it could be argued the veto was more meant to be fuck you to stall, which I would lean into since he has a child like mindset) But well, you know what happened.

Last edited by ,

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still reasonably so since
https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/10/06/trump-kills-stimulus-talks/
since back in October he stated he wouldn't pass a stimulus bill until he was reelected.
Effectively taking it hostage, even if house and senate finally agreed.
“I have instructed my representatives to stop negotiating until after the election when, immediately after I win, we will pass a major Stimulus Bill that focuses on hardworking Americans and Small Business,” Trump wrote

As for that part, most are going to blame Mitch McConnell for that. Since really democrats and even Trump wanted to play ball with actually paying people what they needed. (only after trump lost the election like a sore looser. and even then it could be argued the veto was more meant to be fuck you to stall, which I would lean into since he has a child like mindset) But well, you know what happened.
That doesnt state only if he wins god put more words in his mouth. You hate when someone else takes shit out of context to make their point yet you do it all the time. Just keep bashing trump he will go back to banging supermodels and spending his vast fortune meanwhile you can watch an 80+ year old smell and grope underage girls. (Was all that taken out of context?) If i remember back in november he said he was ready to sign a bill that would put $2000 in your hand then and democrats didnt want his name on your check.

Last edited by wartutor,
Reactions: morvoran
D

Deleted User

That doesnt state only if he wins god put more words in his mouth.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was asking a genuine question, I didn't know whether $2000 was off the table yet or not.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: x65943
D

Deleted User

That doesnt state only if he wins god put more words in his mouth. You hate when someone else takes shit out of context to make their point yet you do it all the time. Just keep bashing trump he will go back to banging supermodels and spending his vast fortune meanwhile you can watch an 80+ year old smell and grope underage girls. (Was all that taken out of context?) If i remember back in november he said he was ready to sign a bill that would put $2000 in your hand then and democrats didnt want his name on your check.
for someone who says your not a republican, you often simp for Trump it really feels like. Since even blatant things he stated your now trying to deny
he says
"I have instructed my representatives to stop negotiating until after the election when, immediately after I win, we will pass a major Stimulus Bill that focuses on hardworking Americans and Small Business. I have asked..."
He defines him winning the election specifically. It is not "when the election is over"

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still doesnt say only if i win just when i win. God fault the guy for being cocky time to just drop talkin to you because apparently u see what you want. Quit reading between line and taking shit out of context.

for someone who says your not a republican, you often simp for Trump it really feels like. Since even blatant things he stated your now trying to deny
he says
"I have instructed my representatives to stop negotiating until after the election when, immediately after I win, we will pass a major Stimulus Bill that focuses on hardworking Americans and Small Business. I have asked..."
He defines him winning the election specifically. It is not "when the election is over"

WHEN I WIN NOT ONLY IF I WIN

Last edited by wartutor,
Reactions: UltraSUPRA
D

Deleted User

WHEN I WIN NOT ONLY IF I WIN
"negotiations end until after I win..."
That is his statement boiled down. He is effectively saying

"If you don't reelect me, I won't negotiate or pass" That is not a accident.
defining the condition of only when he wins, and not anything else, is a only argument.
Holy crap simp mode engaged

Also saying that he didn't say "only" is really grasping for straws.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ust keep bashing trump he will go back to banging supermodels and spending his vast fortune meanwhile you can watch an 80+ year old smell and grope underage girls. (Was all that taken out of context?) If i remember back in november he said he was ready to sign a bill that would put $2000 in your hand then and democrats didnt want his name on your check.
Oh interesting, do you believe in Qanon? Since I have no idea why your suddenly now trying to compare a current president who intentionally was holding covid relief. To "80+ year olds smell and grope underage girls"
Is this because you believe that Trump will save everyone from all the pedophiles? I mean it makes you sound just and noble. Even though he has a sketchy record himself, but of course you would want to ignore that.

Last edited by ,

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was asking a genuine question, I didn't know whether $2000 was off the table yet or not.
Pelosi said she will pass legislation in the house separately to increase the payout to 2k but it is unclear if McConnell will even allow the senate a vote

My guess is no. So for now it's 600 unless a later bill is passed - as this bill is now law

Reactions: Xzi

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just keep bashing trump he will go back to banging supermodels and spending his vast fortune meanwhile you can watch an 80+ year old smell and grope underage girls. (Was all that taken out of context?) If i remember back in november he said he was ready to sign a bill that would put $2000 in your hand then and democrats didnt want his name on your check.

1) I'm glad you look for such great qualities in a President. How many sexual assault accusations has Trump had vs Biden? Another hypocrite Trumper with crickets about their Orange Jesus. Trump has actually admitted to sexual assault, yet crickets. Bragged about it, and crickets. Stated how he could just walk into young girls dressing rooms at the Miss America pageants just because he could. Has made sexual comments about his own daughter. Was buddies with Epstein and Maxwell. Yet you want to make some "smell and grope" comment. If one single parent or women in the world felt he did something to their child... they are more than welcome to bring on the lawsuits.

2) 80+ yr old man? He's 78. A WHOPPING 3 and a half years older than Trump. As you were saying? Why do Trumpers always act like Biden is so old & that Trump is in his 50's or something?

3) Your entire bit about Dems not approving $2000 cuz they didn't want Trumps name on the check is a complete load of bullshit. Know what actually did happen though? First stimulus checks held back because Trump insisted his name get added to them first. Like the money came from him or something. What's really sad is that enough of his supporters actually think that. He must be proud to be able to so easily fool the uneducated he loves so much.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Reactions: Lacius

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? Was Reuters the least biased "news" source you could find? Maybe you could go on Teen Vogue next time to get a less biased, teenager "mean girl" style article. This story even starts out with a jab - "Trump, who leaves office on Jan. 20 after losing November’s election to President-elect Joe Biden". This is just an assumption as Biden's presidency has not been confirmed by the electorate, yet.

After painfully reading the story in the second link, I can clearly see how people can be so (wrongfully) hateful towards a president and be completely brainwashed to not think for themselves in order to make their own opinions.

They even gave Pelosi credit for the stand alone bill they will try to pass this week which Trump was asking for since early October:

To add some clarification to the opinion piece linked in the OP, here is a statement from President Trump:

"I will sign the Omnibus and Covid package with a strong message that makes clear to Congress that wasteful items need to be removed. I will send back to Congress a redlined version, item by item, accompanied by the formal rescission request to Congress insisting that those funds be removed from the bill.

I am signing this bill to restore unemployment benefits, stop evictions, provide rental assistance, add money for PPP, return our airline workers back to work, add substantially more money for vaccine distribution, and much more.

On Monday the House will vote to increase payments to individuals from $600 to $2,000. Therefore, a family of four would receive $5,200. Additionally, Congress has promised that Section 230, which so unfairly benefits Big Tech at the expense of the American people, will be reviewed and either be terminated or substantially reformed.

Likewise, the House and Senate have agreed to focus strongly on the very substantial voter fraud which took place in the November 3 Presidential election.

The Senate will start the process for a vote that increases checks to $2,000, repeals Section 230, and starts an investigation into voter fraud."

Last edited by morvoran,
D

Deleted User

It definitely had the hallmarks of a stall tactic, one-sided and without coordination, which then backfired.
From what I can see the past years, every time a controversial and negative course of action is to be taken, it needs a fall guy and room for the top to claim ignorance.

This didn't have that, and so it folded like a house of cards.

The biggest problem is what happens when the majority of the country are the Working Class but almost half would vote away their security just so multinational corporations gain more profit; there is no merit in Trickle-Down Economics yet the vote results are so close.

Representatives are elected and few can actually hide their true personalities, so it's hard to argue Voter ignorance either, especially during COVID-19 and its economic fallout.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"negotiations end until after I win..."
That is his statement boiled down. He is effectively saying

"If you don't reelect me, I won't negotiate or pass" That is not a accident.
defining the condition of only when he wins, and not anything else, is a only argument.
Holy crap simp mode engaged

Also saying that he didn't say "only" is really grasping for straws.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh interesting, do you believe in Qanon? Since I have no idea why your suddenly now trying to compare a current president who intentionally was holding covid relief. To "80+ year olds smell and grope underage girls"
Is this because you believe that Trump will save everyone from all the pedophiles? I mean it makes you sound just and noble. Even though he has a sketchy record himself, but of course you would want to ignore that.
Ok so UNTIL AFTER I WIN not ONLY IF I WIN. like i said you can read the shit out of context if you want and try to say what you think he means but him being confident he was goin to win is a lot different than what your saying. And again the ONLY ONES INTENTIONALLY HOLDING RELIEF PAYMENTS were polosi and the rest of the democrats because they didnt want trump to get votes for it.

Then you got this as an excuse. 2 months later look what we got in the bill.

D

Deleted User

And again the ONLY ONES INTENTIONALLY HOLDING RELIEF PAYMENTS
Are you broken?

"I have instructed my representatives to stop negotiating until after the election..."
No where in my statements have I stated polosi or mitch have not stalled covid relief.
also, that breaks your only statement, since trump has.
Ok so UNTIL AFTER I WIN not ONLY IF I WIN.
Again, your grasping straws, go cry some more.
I've already told you, saying after, is a very intentional word choice. Hell, he could of just said "after the election is over"
But he SPECIFICALLY said "after I win"
like i said you can read the shit out of context if you want and try to say what you think he means but him being confident he was goin to win is a lot different than what your saying.
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot. I need to baby you.
First off, "like I said you can read the shit out of context"
what context am I somehow excluding? I am directly linking the president's fucking twitter
Second off "if you want and try to say what you think he means but him being confident he was goin to win is a lot different than what your saying."
Here's how it's a only statement.
What does he NOT tell you. The devil is in the details of what is not stated.
He does not tell you if he doesn't win. He does not state that.
Also he can't say only. since putting only between his statement
"until after the election when, immediately (only) after I win"
because it would sound wrong, and because people would get even more pissed.
Is it by any chance because he originally wanted to block covid relief?
Given how he whined and whined and whined about widespread election fraud, despite going 1-59 in court cases. and courts are supposed to impartial, and even then the lower courts are stacked in his favor.
I highly doubt it's in his personality to want to be nice. He does things strictly only for his benefit. We can conclude this when he asked Russia to find Hillary's emails and other situations that only strictly benefits him.
So we can apply that same logic back over here. He thought it was a benefit to holding covid relief like a bargaining chip, to get people on to his side. it obviously backfired

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: