Hardware USB Hub not working with Wii U Harddrive + Gamecube Adapter?

R0B0T0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m trying to use a Wii U harddrive (via Y cable) plus the Wii U Gamecube Adapter (both plugs) with a powered USB hub, but I’m getting a black screen when launching Gamecube injects (latest nintendont). It works perfectly when one or the other device is plugged in by itself.

I did try the top and bottom rear USB ports on the Wii U, but it didn’t seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have this setup working properly?

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem and wrote on the issue of the nintendont github about it: https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/issues/575
You need to plug in the y-cable directly into the ports of the Wii U and on one other port the black cable of the gamecube adapter to make nintendont not crash.
Other usb cables like the grey power connection for the gamecube adapter or a lan adapter etc. can be plugged into a hub and the hub into the last remaining wii u usb port.
My hub also doesn't need additonal power to work.
It has to do with the hacked together code that is used to make hid input accessible to nintendont while having a very small code size.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I’m trying to use a Wii U harddrive (via Y cable) plus the Wii U Gamecube Adapter (both plugs) with a powered USB hub, but I’m getting a black screen when launching Gamecube injects (latest nintendont). It works perfectly when one or the other device is plugged in by itself.

I did try the top and bottom rear USB ports on the Wii U, but it didn’t seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have this setup working properly?
The Y-cable is pointless when you're using a powered USB hub.
Nintendont should work with USB hubs but do you have more than one drive connected? Because that could cause issues if the drives are detected in the wrong order.
Probably the HDD isn't getting enough Amperes to power it, what you using 2.5 or 3.5 drive?
Must be 2.5. Self-powered drives always are.

R0B0T0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Y-cable is pointless when you're using a powered USB hub.
Nintendont should work with USB hubs but do you have more than one drive connected? Because that could cause issues if the drives are detected in the wrong order.

Must be 2.5. Self-powered drives always are.

Only one drive connected (2.5”, Wii U formatted). Good point about the Y-Cable not being needed with the powered hub, but the issue remains either way.

I am not able to use the front ports due to my entertainment unit, so I need everything connected at the back.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@R0B0T0 The black cable has to be inserted directly into the Wii U, otherwise it can't be addressed by nintendont and it crashes.
Regarding the HDD it should be possible to make it boot even if it is inserted into a Hub as the Wii U OS handles the mounting to the disc drive of the wii and nintendont grabs the gc iso from the virtually mounted wii disc.
Maybe it crashes because of too much power draw from one port and you still need to split it up.
And I accidently linked the wrong issue, the one I meant was this one: https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/issues/252
Some kind of reaction to my post would have been appreciated.

What is this entertainment unit you speak of?
Is your Wii U lacking some ports or do you have other devices connected there?
Maybe you really need to connect the hdd y data cable directly as well and power the hdd y power cable and the wii u gc adapter via a hub that is connected to a usb charger, that way it should work with only two free ports on the Wii U.

Edit: For me it also crashes with the hdd in the hub, carnage702 on github meant any peripheral accessed by nintendont then, so you need to change your setup a bit I guess.

Last edited by Wuigi,

R0B0T0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@R0B0T0 The black cable has to be inserted directly into the Wii U, otherwise it can't be addressed by nintendont and it crashes.
Regarding the HDD it should be possible to make it boot even if it is inserted into a Hub as the Wii U OS handles the mounting to the disc drive of the wii and nintendont grabs the gc iso from the virtually mounted wii disc.
Maybe it crashes because of too much power draw from one port and you still need to split it up.
And I accidently linked the wrong issue, the one I meant was this one: https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/issues/252
Some kind of reaction to my post would have been appreciated.

What is this entertainment unit you speak of?
Is your Wii U lacking some ports or do you have other devices connected there?
Maybe you really need to connect the hdd y data cable directly as well and power the hdd y power cable and the wii u gc adapter via a hub that is connected to a usb charger, that way it should work with only two free ports on the Wii U.

Edit: For me it also crashes with the hdd in the hub, carnage702 on github meant any peripheral accessed by nintendont then, so you need to change your setup a bit I guess.

The door of the unit where the Wii U is located closes directly in front, with no space for any cables. If nintendont doesn’t support hubs, then the only way i can think to do it is have the harddrive connected to a powered usb hub going into one of the back slots, and the gamecube adapter connected to a second powered usb hub going into the second back slot.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@R0B0T0 Yes, I also got it working like this with one hub:

Attachments

• IMG_20180405_052643.jpg
    IMG_20180405_052643.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20180405_052650.jpg
    IMG_20180405_052650.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 251

R0B0T0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@R0B0T0 Yes, I also got it working like this with one hub:

This method does work, but I’ve read in multiple places that splitting y-cables across different power sources (i.e. Wii U + outlet) can damage electronic equipment, so I’d prefer to avoid this configuration.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: a current gen i5 is plenty,next is RAM size, and then GPU depending on the kinda setting and...