• Views 7,193,279
  • Replies 29,369
  • Likes 48

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But normaly you dont need to change anything in the xml, you can config everything inside the USB Loader GX setting including change the loader cIOS to 80/249/250/251. (Just as sugestion, set in xml to IOS58 and set loader cIOS 151(base58))
You're correct that you don't normally need to manually edit the XML, but my version of the loader also allows you to change the boot IOS. It's a separate setting from the loader IOS and can't be changed from the GUI.
  • r1271 and older builds reload to cIOS 249 before initialising USB drives and reading your config file
  • r1272 uses IOS 58 for everything and that breaks backup creation and can cause the loader to freeze
  • r1272 mod loads with IOS 58, reads your config file and then reloads you to your preferred cIOS (249 by default)
As I don't own a Wii U I can't easily debug the issue, although I might be able to work around the problem if the failure always occurs when you see "Reinitializing devices".

Reactions: ber71 and Sypherone

JuicyJoseppi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I attatched what my meta.xml file looks like. I have tried multiple versions of USBLGX. The one I was using before when this was originally working was version 1272 by cyan. I switched to mod 7 because I was told that this had better support for emunand after all of that decided to crap out on me. At this point I have gone back and tried 1272, 1271, and 1268 just too see if any of those would work, and none have.

my GX global settings is set as: LoaderIOS = 249

I have tried setting bootios in meta.xml to 58(default), 249, 250, and 251. I have not tried 80. I also use an emunand for all of my vc/wiiware games and, correct me if I'm wrong, from what I understand, if I plug the vwii drive into any port that isn't 0, it will not work. 251 on my setup is set to base 58 btw, I thought that might work too since it had a combination of both cIOS and base 58.

I understand that I don't technically have to change any settings in met.xml, however I was changing things just to see if it would work. I figured if I could get it to start on 58, then switch to 249 once it actually needed to see my games on the drive that maybe it would work. If I do this however, it gets stuck on "initializing hdd". If I set both to 249, it gets past that, but then gets stuck on "reinitializing hdd". I should also mention that in both cases when it gets to that point, I have to fully unplug the wii u to get it to restart.

Now if I unplug the wii u drive before starting USBLGX, it has no issues either way that I have it setup. If after I get it started up without the wii u drive in, I can then return to the vwii menu, then plug the wii u drive back in and start up USBLGX with no issues! The second the console gets turned off, it starts all over again.

Attachments

• meta.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 46

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have tried setting bootios in meta.xml to 58(default), 249, 250, and 251. I have not tried 80.
Sorry for missinformation, there is no IOS 80 for use. Its IOS 58 as alternativ.
correct me if I'm wrong, from what I understand, if I plug the vwii drive into any port that isn't 0, it will not work
Correct, if using cios 249(base56) or 250(base(57) only port 0 can be used for vWii drive. No other. Its related to the dx2 patch.
251 on my setup is set to base 58 btw, I thought that might work too since it had a combination of both cIOS and base 58.
I think so that cIOS 151(base58) support both backports, but iam not 100% technical sure at this point. I only can refer on my own setup, as i use 1272 mod7, xml set to IOS58, loader and game IOS is set to cIOS 251(base58) and my vWii drive is plugged to the back lower port 1. WiiU drive to back upper port 0. And everything works flawless.
Now if I unplug the wii u drive before starting USBLGX, it has no issues either way that I have it setup. If after I get it started up without the wii u drive in, I can then return to the vwii menu, then plug the wii u drive back in and start up USBLGX with no issues!
I know this behavior as described by using IOS 58 as loader IOS, but by using cIOS 249 as boot and loader ios its new to me and i dont have an idea atm.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: geoGolem

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@geoGolem Which cIOS you use as loader cIOS? If its IOS 58, there is recognizen problem if the WiiU drive is pluged in port 1 and vWii drive in port 0. Because the IOS checkes for drives in descending order 3,2,1,0. Some user reported this issue in there threads and pluging the vWii drive to port 1 and WiiU drive to port 0 solved it.
I'm not totally sure.. Its been a while since I mucked around with it.. but for me.. it didnt work no matter how i plugged the 2 HDD's in.. however, 1 sequence caused usbloader to freeze on launch.. while the other just caused it to not detect the vwii HDD at all.

not really sure which CIOS I am on.. but it is whatever the guide says.. later on, i will take a look and provide more specific information...

Thanks

totakeke95

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm playing Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World and I've noticed that during the cutscenes the audio is delayed, it doesn't sync with the character's voices. I thought it would be a bug in the game but isnt it because I've seen that it doesn't happen with the original disc so I don't know why the delay is due. My backup is PAL region and I loading it with 249 (56) d2x v10. I have it on a flash drive and I think it may be the reason for the delay but I'm not sure and also I don't think it's a bad game dump because the hash matches in the Redump database.

Anyone can confirm if the same thing happens on a HDD?

It's not that it's a big bother but I don't understand why that happens.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My backup is PAL region and I loading it with 249 (56) d2x v10. I have it on a flash drive
Just try the cIOS with base 57 which has 99% game compatibilty, by starting the game you can set it in settings of the game (set as global is recommended) . The cIOS with base 56 has lower game compatibility and is mainly for use with some games that need external devices like guitar hero or sing Star. In first thought i will not think its flashdrive problem as your Flash drive seems recognized correctly and also the game runs well except of the unsynced character`s voice in the cutscene.

Did you verify the hash of the image on the drive or when you get the dump? Maybe use Wii Backup manager, with it you can copy it to the drive and it will automatically verify the image by hash value. In case run a check on the drive by Powershell chkdsk X: /r (X -> your driveletter).

Reactions: totakeke95

JuicyJoseppi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for missinformation, there is no IOS 80 for use. Its IOS 58 as alternativ.

Correct, if using cios 249(base56) or 250(base(57) only port 0 can be used for vWii drive. No other. Its related to the dx2 patch.

I think so that cIOS 151(base58) support both backports, but iam not 100% technical sure at this point. I only can refer on my own setup, as i use 1272 mod7, xml set to IOS58, loader and game IOS is set to cIOS 251(base58) and my vWii drive is plugged to the back lower port 1. WiiU drive to back upper port 0. And everything works flawless.

I know this behavior as described by using IOS 58 as loader IOS, but by using cIOS 249 as boot and loader ios its new to me and i dont have an idea atm.
I tested some extra stuff out last night, and it turns out that if I launch nintendont directly, that program can see the vwii hdd even if the wiiu drive is plugged in. So at this point I know its something to do with USBLGX.

I will again to see if maybe default settings in meta.xml and then setting launcher to 251 with the vwii drive in port 1 will work. Will this make it so that I can't play wii games though? I read somewhere that wii games can only launch from port 0.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, In this case best check out and verify the settings inside USB Loader GX.

This is for sure:
  • If loader IOS is set to IOS 58 and cIOS is 151(base58) you can play GC and Wii games from the drive pluged to port 0 or 1.
  • If you use a loader/game cIOS with base (56/57) and dx2 v10r52 the Wii games can only be played from a drive pluged to port 0.
This is my personal setting and i can play GC and Wii games from the drive in port 1:
USBLGX 1272 mod7, xml set to IOS58, loader and game IOS is set cIOS 251(base58)

Its sometimes tricky to find the correct setup that works.

totakeke95

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ok i found the reason for the delay in the cutscenes. I had the video mode set to "force ntsc" and the dol patch set to "Yes". I changed the default settings and now the audio is going at the correct speed. I have also noticed a slight drop in fps, it seems that the PAL game is slower (25 fps maybe?) and by having it forced to ntsc there is a higher frame rate (30 fps).

Reactions: Sypherone

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have also noticed a slight drop in fps, it seems that the PAL game is slower (25 fps maybe?) and by having it forced to ntsc there is a higher frame rate (30 fps).
This is possible because of the regional different video modes and region the game is designed for.
  • The different regional versions of the Wii are capable of using this video modes :
    • PAL Wii (Europa, Australia, South Africa) : 576i/50Hz, 576p/50Hz, 480i/60Hz, 480p/60Hz
    • NTSC Wii (USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan) : 480i/60Hz, 480p/60Hz
    • Info : 576/480 = vertical lines, i=interlaced, p=progressive (full picture), Hz=frequency
  • Games are mainly designed with the video mode of the specific region, NTSC -> progressive and PAL -> interlaced. And may support one ore more video modes.

Reactions: jeannotte

JuicyJoseppi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, In this case best check out and verify the settings inside USB Loader GX.

This is for sure:
  • If loader IOS is set to IOS 58 and cIOS is 151(base58) you can play GC and Wii games from the drive pluged to port 0 or 1.
  • If you use a loader/game cIOS with base (56/57) and dx2 v10r52 the Wii games can only be played from a drive pluged to port 0.
This is my personal setting and i can play GC and Wii games from the drive in port 1:
USBLGX 1272 mod7, xml set to IOS58, loader and game IOS is set cIOS 251(base58)

Its sometimes tricky to find the correct setup that works.

I tried what you said, plugging my vWii HDD into slot 1, and my Wii U drive into slot 0 with meta at default settings, and using cIOS 251 for loader settings and everything initially launched as intended! So good step!

However, after about 8 seconds into USBLGX, the whole system crashes and I have to hard reset. I didn't even click on any games either. I just tried to look through the titles and it craps out. Is there something wrong with my setup that would cause this?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@JuicyJoseppi Could be a power failer, loading/drive speed issue or a dol file issue. Or just a unique mistake.

If the system crashes, maybe just wait a moment until everything is load up fine. And let display only one or two rows of the games
What happens if you only use the vWii drive by this setup? Are you using a Y- Cable and power both drives externaly?
Else verify your SDCard has no errors (Powershell chkdsk X: /r (X -> your driveletter)
and replace the USBLGX dol. And on PC use the eject SDcard function, dont pull it just out.

As I don't own a Wii U I can't easily debug the issue, although I might be able to work around the problem if the failure always occurs when you see "Reinitializing devices".
I added the differences of the USBLGX versions to the guide here, which also includes information for basic understanding to solve their problems.

Hmm, if you have a beta version someone who has this issue may test it out. In this case you have atm two users who may test it and give you feedback or a debug.txt. Maybe the community should spend you a WiiU, as iam sure they do 😆

As iam not a programmer and as this issue is only related to USBLGX by using a cIOS with base 56/57 its out of my knowlage, what it depend on that this reinizialisation process succeds. I only know dx2 has a "mini ehci" modul which cuts the compatibility with a lot of drives.

But when using two drives (WiiU+vWii) by using IOS58 as boot/loader IOS and cIOS151(base58) as game cIOS. And pluging WiiU to port 0, vWii to port 1, so that IOS58 only recognize the drive on port 1 seems to work.

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I added the differences of the USBLGX versions to the guide here, which also includes information for basic understanding to solve their problems.
I'll need to go over some of the details with you when I release the next update, since a fair amount of your guide will require changes. For example, what you said earlier about IOS 57 being superior is actually a misconception and the recommend cIOS setup is going to be reverted back to what it was a couple of years ago.

Hmm, if you have a beta version someone who has this issue may test it out. In this case you have atm two users who may test it and give you feedback or a debug.txt. (As iam sure, iam not the first one who thought this😅) Maybe the community should spend you a WiiU, as iam sure they do 😆
I've already gave him a debug build to try, but it's a slow process and I can't guarantee that I'll be able to fix it this way.

When I can successfully replicate bugs on my own hardware then 9 times out of 10 I'll quickly fix things, since I can properly debug the issue and I don't need to wait for anyone to try out any changes.

I'm open to the idea of hardware donations, but people need to understand that I still can't guarantee fixes. But owning the hardware would obviously help a lot.

But when using two drives (WiiU+vWii) by using IOS58 as boot/loader IOS and cIOS151(base58) as game cIOS. And pluging WiiU to port 0, vWii to port 1, so that IOS58 only recognize the drive on port 1 seems to work.
Not that I'd recommend it, but does using IOS 58 for the loader work with that kind of a setup?

JuicyJoseppi switched from Haxchi to Tiramisu, recovered from a vWii brick and he's also reinstalled the cIOS. So now it's harder to determine if his issue is caused by a hardware fault, a configuration problem or a software problem.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For example, what you said earlier about IOS 57 being superior is actually a misconception and the recommend cIOS setup is going to be reverted back to what it was a couple of years ago.
Ya, thats what i know about the IOS56/57. It was once changed because IOS 57 should have higher game compatibilty and was announced as recommended to stop users naging around why their game dont run with IOS 56 in cIOS 249, instead just to try IOS 57 in cIOS 250. Source

When its about time, come to me to go over the guide to do the required changes.

When I can successfully replicate bugs on my own hardware then 9 times out of 10 I'll quickly fix things, since I can properly debug the issue and I don't need to wait for anyone to try out any changes.

I'm open to the idea of hardware donations, but people need to understand that I still can't guarantee fixes. But owning the hardware would obviously help a lot.
As this is in interest and should be understandable by nearly every gbatemp Member and followers who like to use USB Loader GX. There should be a high possibility to collect that money to spend you a WiiU, to make your life easyer and therfore easyer fixing. Its a win win situation. As a WiiU on a Marketplace cost around 150€, there is not that high goal to reach and shouldn`t be a big deal. This is the home of USB Loader GX including you and Cyan as Developer and still active. Maybe there exist the possibility by the Gbatemp Administrators and Editorial Team to help in this way by creating a temporary donation action.

As the WiiU is to support you and makes your life a lot easyer, there will sadly still some people who think fixes or new features comes by magic. Its the same with the guide, it reduced the questioning by opening a new thread a lot. But some people still open a thread instead just simple throwing a look into the guide to fast solve their Problem.

Not that I'd recommend it, but does using IOS 58 for the loader work with that kind of a setup?
This my setup and works flawless, no problems with Wii games or GC Games (cant tell about games who needs specific IOS).

Setup:
  • CBHC, USBLGX 1272 mod7 (e25c4e7)
  • meta.xml
    • bootios=IOS58
    • usbport=1
    • mountusb=1,
  • global loader IOS => cIOS 251(base58)
  • global game IOS => cIOS 251(base58)
  • vWii drive => port 1 (back lower)
  • WiiU drive => port 0 (back upper).

I helped others to set this up and worked :
Loader IOS 58 + game cIOS 251(base58), WiiU drive port 0 + vWii drive port 1
Thread 1 : WiiU+vWii two drives issue
Thread 2 : USBLX not work with WiiU drive plugged in

JuicyJoseppi switched from Haxchi to Tiramisu, recovered from a vWii brick and he's also reinstalled the cIOS. So now it's harder to determine if his issue is caused by a hardware fault, a configuration problem or a software problem.
Yes, In his case that his system crashed after a few seconds. I would be happy if it would a none reproduceable one time issue. I could only give the suggestion to check some basic things. If this goes deeper, iam out atm.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll need to go over some of the details with you when I release the next update, since a fair amount of your guide will require changes. For example, what you said earlier about IOS 57 being superior is actually a misconception and the recommend cIOS setup is going to be reverted back to what it was a couple of years ago.
Hello,

just info, for everyone (I'm not criticizing I'm giving info):

@blackb0x , @Sypherone

a few years ago (I don't remember when?), the CIOS version was like this:
IOS 56 ==> cios 249
IOS 57 ==>cios 250
IOS 58 ==>cios 251

and USB loader GX was programmed to start on the cios 249 (correct me if I'm wrong)

NOW they are like this, following this guide ==>https://wii.guide/cios.html

IOS 57 ==> cios 249
IOS 56==>cios 250
IOS 38 ==>cios 251

the inversion of cios 249, and 250 with their base has been done, because some games work with base 57 (Call of Duty, Just dance ......)
see table opposite ==>https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_base_Compatibility_List

See with @XFlak and @Cyan to confirm

and we know that with Modmii, it installs the cios version like this ==>IOS 57 ==> cios 249
IOS 56==>cios 250
IOS 38 ==>cios 251

some people posted a message on the forum, because their game did not work, so they were told to put the CIOS 250 with which they had a base 057, and their game worked again

Thank you for reading, for me my Wii console has the CIOS d2x version as below (everything works fine)==>

IOS 56 ==> cios 249
IOS 57==>cios 250
IOS 58 ==>cios 251

USB loader GX with CIOS 249:yaywii:

Thanks to the developers, programmers and others .......... for all these details :yay:

Last edited by jeannotte,
Reactions: Sypherone

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I helped others to set this up and worked :
Loader IOS 58 + game cIOS 251(base58), WiiU drive port 0 + vWii drive port 1
Thread 1 : WiiU+vWii two drives issue
Thread 2 : USBLX not work with WiiU drive plugged in
I wasn't sure if using IOS 58 would work with both USB's HDD connected on vWii, so thanks for confirming.

@jeannotte It'll become this...

Slot 249 base 56
Slot 250 base 57
Slot 251 base 38 (Wii) / base 58 (vWii)

When I release the next update and you're able to play more games than ever you'll understand ;)

Last edited by blackb0x,

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I release the next update and you're able to play more games than ever you'll understand ;)
blackb0x, any wisdom on when you will be needing more beta testers? I have a WiiU still w/ hackchi & cleanly modded vWii with no repairs. I also have a Wii stashed away in a similar condition.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Setup:
  • CBHC, USBLGX 1272 mod7 (e25c4e7)
  • meta.xml
    • bootios=IOS58
    • usbport=1
    • mountusb=1,
  • global loader IOS => cIOS 251(base58)
  • global game IOS => cIOS 251(base58)
  • vWii drive => port 1 (back lower)
  • WiiU drive => port 0 (back upper).
I wonder if cios base58 can run games like Call of Duty, Just dance and animal crossing?
IIRC base 58's compatibility isn't that high.
Post automatically merged:

It'll become this...

Slot 249 base 56
Slot 250 base 57
Slot 251 base 38 (Wii) / base 58 (vWii)
IIRC base57 have very slightly higher compatibility than base 57 so is there a strong reason to revert back when Modmii and and wii.guide changed from 56/57 to 57/56?? that could confuse noobs even more

Last edited by tswntk,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
blackb0x, any wisdom on when you will be needing more beta testers? I have a WiiU still w/ hackchi & cleanly modded vWii with no repairs. I also have a Wii stashed away in a similar condition.
Maybe soon. I'm currently working on a new source for cheats.

IIRC base57 have very slightly higher compatibility than base 57 so is there a strong reason to revert back when Modmii and and wii.guide changed from 56/57 to 57/56?? that could confuse noobs even more
Like I said in a previous post, that simply isn't true. People thought that it was, which is why it was changed, but over time both Cyan and myself have seen that it can cause some games to crash and certain accessories to not work.

Changing your cIOS won't be a requirement to use the loader, but if you do switch to the recommended setup then depending on your USB HDD it could improve how quickly some games are launched. And I might as well tell you now, but I'll be releasing d2x-v11 along with the loader so that RiiConnect24 works correctly from all USB loaders and the Wii system menu (when a cIOS is forced via Priiloader).

Last edited by blackb0x,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I wonder if cios base58 can run games like Call of Duty, Just dance and animal crossing?
IIRC base 58's compatibility isn't that high.
Post automatically merged:

Both modmii and wii.guide will be aligning with this change too.

Just a reminder that even currently modmii's syscheck updater will consider either slot as valid, so it doesn't really matter much if u have 249 and 250 swapped but as blackb0x says there will be some loading time improvements if base 56 is in 249 after his next release

Last edited by XFlak,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress