Hacking Using NTRboot to directly update from a9lh to b9s?

Timburpton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Does this work?

Can I use the NTRboot to directly install b9s on an a9lh 3ds without using the conversion steps?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use ntrboot to install B9S on an A9LH system, yes. However, the process of using A9LH to install B9S is a little easier.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It's fairly safe. I mean what's the worst that could happen? Ntrboot can already unbrick your 3ds. It doesn't cause an MCU brick.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Timburpton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can use ntrboot to install B9S on an A9LH system, yes. However, the process of using A9LH to install B9S is a little easier.

But using the NTRpack http://gbatemp.net/threads/ntrpack-pc-less-b9s-install-using-ntrboot.481141/ it seems like using NTRboot makes everything just so simple.

If there were no issues with the nand being corrupted, it seems that NTRboot can virtually do anything. Upgrade luma accidentally while still on a9lh? No problem, just NTRboot it.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But using the NTRpack http://gbatemp.net/threads/ntrpack-pc-less-b9s-install-using-ntrboot.481141/ it seems like using NTRboot makes everything just so simple.

If there were no issues with the nand being corrupted, it seems that NTRboot can virtually do anything. Upgrade luma accidentally while still on a9lh? No problem, just NTRboot it.
With ntrboot, you have to go through the process of using a compatible flashcart that's been flashed appropriately, use a magnet on the 3DS to trigger sleep mode (no magnet is needed for the 2DS), and turn on the 3DS while holding down specific buttons in a timely manner. If you don't manage to load ntrboot successfully because you didn't time letting go of the buttons properly, you have to try the process again.

Using A9LH, you just have to put the proper files on your SD card and power the 3DS on.

Both methods are easy, but one of these things is clearly easier than the other.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using ntrboot to install B9S on an A9LH system is the same process as installing it on any other system, with one exception: you need secret_sector.bin for N3DS systems.

Timburpton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Using ntrboot to install B9S on an A9LH system is the same process as installing it on any other system, with one exception: you need secret_sector.bin for N3DS systems.

So installing B9S on an A9LH N3DS requires secret_sector.bin but installing b9s on a stock N3DS does not require it?

"Note that, on New 3DS, secret_sector.bin is needed to revert the arm9loaderhax exploit, which is why it is not needed for the installation of boot9strap on a stock console. If you do not have a New 3DS, you do not need secret_sector.bin."

But NTRboot is very low level though. Still not quite understanding why it wont work

Last edited by Timburpton,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So installing B9S on an A9LH N3DS requires secret_sector.bin but installing b9s on a stock N3DS does not require it?

"Note that, on New 3DS, secret_sector.bin is needed to revert the arm9loaderhax exploit, which is why it is not needed for the installation of boot9strap on a stock console. If you do not have a New 3DS, you do not need secret_sector.bin."

But NTRboot is very low level though. Still not quite understanding why it wont work
Installing B9S on a stock N3DS using ntrboot does not require secret_sector.bin, correct.

Timburpton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's because A9LH works by corrupting that sector, and it contains encryption keys needed to actually boot the FIRMs. You need that file so SafeB9SInstaller can restore it to normal.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So I can still use NTRboot to install B9S on A9LH N3ds?

I will just need to follow https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(ntrboot)

But at the same time have "Copy secret_sector.bin to the /boot9strap/ folder on your SD card" this as well?
Yes, it's the same except you need to copy secret_sector.bin to /boot9strap/, correct.

Last edited by Cuphat,
Reactions: Lacius

Timburpton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's because A9LH works by corrupting that sector, and it contains encryption keys needed for the bootloader to actually boot the FIRMs. You need that file so SafeB9SInstaller can restore it to normal.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, it's the same except you need to copy secret_sector.bin to /boot9strap/, correct.

That makes tremendous sense to me. Thanks for your help!

This means that my ntrboot setup is capable of installing b9s or upgrading to b9s now!

Also, I can just chuck the secret_section.bin file in there anyway so that safeb9sinstaller will detect if it is needed and use it when required right?

Last edited by Timburpton,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I can just chuck the secret_section.bin file in there anyway so that safeb9sinstaller will detect if it is needed and use it when required right?
That is correct. Again, I don't know why you're over-complicating the process when you already have A9LH you can use, but that's your prerogative.

Timburpton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That is correct. Again, I don't know why you're over-complicating the process when you already have A9LH you can use, but that's your prerogative.

Its because I'm doing it for my friend. I know its complicating the process but it results in a process which can be done on the go without access to a PC

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its because I'm doing it for my friend. I know its complicating the process but it results in a process which can be done on the go without access to a PC
You need equal access to the files on the SD card with either method, so that makes no sense. For example, both methods require the B9S install files in /boot9strap/ on the SD card.

Timburpton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You need equal access to the files on the SD card with either method, so that makes no sense. For example, both methods require the B9S install files in /boot9strap/ on the SD card.

Have you seen this? gbatemp.net/threads/ntrpack-pc-less-b9s-install-using-ntrboot.481141/

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you seen this? gbatemp.net/threads/ntrpack-pc-less-b9s-install-using-ntrboot.481141/
The A9LH to B9S process can also be made to be PC-less using GodMode9 scripts and far fewer steps. You need equal access to the files on the SD card with either method.

Timburpton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The A9LH to B9S process can also be made to be PC-less using GodMode9 scripts and far fewer steps. You need equal access to the files on the SD card with either method.

Fair enough but I would have to write gm9 scripts.

With the NTRpack 1.2 that I linked, I just simply need to throw in the secret_sector.bin.

As for equal access I'm guessing you mean equal access counts. However, for every A9LH to B9S i will need to have PC access once per upgrade but with the NTRpack, I just need PC access for the initial time and from there I can perform unlimited A9LH to B9S conversions without ever having to access my PC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: would you rather have unlimited bacon but no games, or games, unlimited games, but no more games?