Vaccines and Autism Spectrum Disorder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Attention everyone: Hiccup deems this organization unreliable according to his video games experience.
I am not saying that organisation is unreliable. I'm saying that there are decent papers saying that "vaccines don't cause autism" from multiple reliable organisations.For example: http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4026.pdf

Also, what do experience do you have. Facebook copypastas?

And what about my other points?

Last edited by Hiccup,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Anti-vaxxers should be forcibly castrated to prevent them from procreating.

Hey @comput3rus3r If you're so concerned about medical subjects then why not become a physician instead of a shitposting conspiracy theorist.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where's your peer reviewed study? I provided links to actual scientific studies and you provide your opinion.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

they only banned it because of all the doctors who were brave to speak out against it. Otherwise the'd still be in the vaccines. However there's plenty of other ingredients that are just as toxic.

Typical immature response from a vaccine damaged brain owner.

Right because you're the one to determine which organizations are reliable.
Still didn't get a reply from my post.

Also you shouldn't talk to Veho, he's just wasting everyone's time. Just put him on ignore or something.

Reactions: Veho

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've posted plenty of links to information for the people who actually want to educate themselves.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I vaccinated my kids, no autism. Can't argue with that. Oh, and I'm vaccinated, also no autism. Srs, tho, pubmed is like the Bible, you can twist and group verses that seem to justify your position, and then do the same for the opposite position if you feel like it. Talk to a doctor, any doctor, about vaccinations and how they work, that'll get you a lot farther than combing pubmed, or listening to someone who does, or who copies lists of pubmed articles from conspiracy sites, not that OP did that, just saying. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I included a link to a peer reviewed paper contradicting your propaganda in my post: https://www.aap.org/en-us/Documents/immunization_vaccine_studies.pdf

But I guess literacy and reading comprehension is too much to ask for from an anti-vaxxer and you will rather resort to petty childish insults.

aap.org is an organization financed by all the pharmaceutical industry leaders though:
https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...ends-of-Children-Fund-President's-Circle.aspx
just asking, how much credit can be given to the paper you linked?

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vaccinated my kids, no autism. Can't argue with that. Oh, and I'm vaccinated, also no autism. Srs, tho, pubmed is like the Bible, you can twist and group verses that seem to justify your position, and then do the same for the opposite position if you feel like it. Talk to a doctor, any doctor, about vaccinations and how they work, that'll get you a lot farther than combing pubmed, or listening to someone who does, or who copies lists of pubmed articles from conspiracy sites, not that OP did that, just saying. Ain't nobody got time for that.
How old are your kids? because the vaccine schedule of today is much more aggressive than in the past. I didn't vaccinate any of my 3 kids and they've never been sick and never go to the doctor. of course nutrition plays a big role in that.

Last edited by comput3rus3r,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
When I got vaccinated back when the law said I needed them to go to high school, I had all the shots, tdap, mmr, mcv, all that stuff. About a month later, I was in the ER because I was nearly dead. Why was that? Because the nurse didn't clean the needle, and thanks to that, I had sepsis. The doctor went ahead and admitted that...but not before giving me useless prescriptions for pills treating swine flu, and later mono. Once they coughed up that info, I was furious, but also pretty much bedridden, so that was fun.

I don't really know what to make of the anti vaxx thing. I certainly fear needles and vaccines due to what I went through, and my hatred of the medical industry runs deep, due to the incompetence I suffered against. But I wonder...I was vaccinated as a baby, and I turned out fine. But on the other hand, the distrust I hold makes me wary. There seems to be plenty of studies done, and the answer seems to lie more with the "vaccines are fine" camp...I don't think I'd ever get vaccinated again, but for the sake of other people, like babies, it's pretty dangerous to go unvaccinated...It's a tough subject.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What next today?

- Milk is bad for health (yes yes please yes! It's been a while we had this topic)
- Tap water is bad for health (I am sure we never thought of this one!)
- Cellphones cause cancer (I mean, it should be, with all the wireless radio waves in the air!)

I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

D

Deleted User

whoo boy this thread
Did anyone else's first thought when they read the thread title was "not this shit again?"

Vaccination is important to do as it helps eliminate some nasty shit. Not doing so puts other people at risk. When my niece was a baby, she had whooping cough. She was too young to have received the vaccination at that point and caught it because some shitty parent decided not to vaccinate their child. Andrew Wakefield has a lot of shit to answer for.
I got whooping cough 2 years ago because my mom is an anti-vaxxer; almost died :)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
just asking, how much credit can be given to the paper you linked?
The sources are listed at the bottom of the article, with dates of publication and links to the original articles. While the people who compiled the articles are biased, the individual articles need to be evaluated on their own merit.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
How old are your kids? because the vaccine schedule of today is much more aggressive than in the past. I didn't vaccinate any of my 3 kids and they've never been sick and never go to the doctor. of course nutrition plays a big role in that.
That first part was a joke related to anecdotal evidence, the last part of what I said was the meat.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've posted plenty of links to information for the people who actually want to educate themselves.
No, you haven't, and I doubt you've read much of what you posted.
Doesn't surprise me this is your reasoning. Must be due to vaccine injury so i don't blame u.
This statement clearly shows your motive: trolling.

First, OP copy/pasted most of this directly from a debunked Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/marcellaterry/posts/10213328986367000
I don't know if this is the original source OP copy/pasted it from, but this was at least one of the links on the chain of nonsense that's been copy/pasted.

Second, this post is what's commonly referred to as a "scattershot approach" to an argument. When someone has a weak argument, he or she will overwhelm the opposing side with quantity instead of quality in an effort to win. If the OP had posted one or two articles, it would have been easy enough for any one of us to demonstrate how the article is discredited nonsense. By posting an overwhelming number of articles (and making things even more convoluted by posting the same thing more than once in a random fashion to make the list seem even more overwhelming than it is), the OP has shifted the time-consuming work of discrediting each article onto those of us who understand that there is no link between vaccines and autism, which disincentivizes any kind of rebuttal. The scattershot approach also has the added benefit of making a point of view seem more supported by evidence than it actually is.

When you actually look at the articles, you'll see that (the ones I looked at) are highly discredited, and some aren't even relevant to the topic of vaccinations. I'm not going to waste my time getting sucked into an obvious scattershot argument by responding to each and every article, but here are a few things that should be noted:
  1. Many (if not most) of the articles deal with the Thimerosal controversy, which is irrelevant since pretty much all but the flu shots don't have Thimerosal anymore. Thimerosal was also never linked to autism (the one article that showed a link was discredited), and the quantities in flu shots are negligible. In addition, Thimerosal-free flu shots exist.
  2. Many (if not most) of the articles are by Mark and David Geier. They have been widely discredited. Here's some information about them from a Science Magazine article:
In the mid-2000s, riding the wave of concerns about thimerosal, a mercury-containing preservative, Maryland doctor Mark Geier and his son, David, began to promote a theory that a pathological interaction between mercury and testosterone explained many symptoms of autism. That claim came after the Geiers published a few studies suggesting a link between thimerosal and autism—studies that the Institute of Medicine characterized as having "serious methodological flaws." Despite that review, the Geiers proceeded with their controversial work. They established an unapproved treatment that involved daily injections of leuprolide (Lupron) , a drug used to treat prostate cancer and to chemically castrate sex offenders. In children, the drug is approved only to treat precocious puberty, a rare condition in which puberty begins before the age of 8 years. Side effects in kids can include bone and heart damage. Leuprolide also carries a risk of exacerbating seizure disorders, a condition commonly associated with autism. The Geiers sometimes paired those injections with chemical chelation, a risky treatment for patients with heavy metal poisoning. To peddle their treatments to parents and insurance companies at a cost upward of $5000 a month, the Geiers improperly diagnosed children with precocious puberty—without performing the necessary diagnostic tests. They also misled parents into believing that the regimen was approved to treat autism, according to a 2011 investigation by the Maryland Board of Physicians. The board revoked Mark Geier's state medical license, saying his practice "far exceeds his qualifications and expertise," and other states followed suit. His son, who holds only a Bachelor of Arts degree, was charged with practicing medicine without a license.

If you want to have a serious conversation about vaccines and autism, you need to do the following:
  1. Find reputable studies that demonstrate a link between vaccines and autism, which you haven't done.
  2. Present your articles in an honest fashion that doesn't overwhelm anyone who would want to respond.
If you don't do these things, then you're not wanting a serious conversation about autism. You're wanting to troll and respond to everyone by saying "I presented information. Please prove me wrong" over and over again.

Last edited by Lacius,

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I'd like to remind you that the "doctor" that started this bullshit got his medical license revoked after it was found that he was profiting from the study and used a "diverse" sample size of twelve... count 'em, TWELVE... children
what about the other 40 doctors and studies linked here?
are they all frauds too? would be interesting if you had information, make sure to post it if you do

Reactions: comput3rus3r

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
No, you haven't, and I doubt you've read much of what you posted.

This statement clearly shows your motive: trolling.

First, OP copy/pasted most of this directly from a debunked Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/marcellaterry/posts/10213328986367000
I don't know if this is the original source OP copy/pasted it from, but this was at least one of the links on the chain of nonsense that's been copy/pasted.

Second, this post is what's commonly referred to as a "scattershot approach" to an argument. When someone has a weak argument, he or she will overwhelm the opposing side with quantity instead of quality in an effort to win. If the OP had posted one or two articles, it would have been easy enough for any one of us to demonstrate how the article is discredited nonsense. By posting an overwhelming number of articles (and making things even more convoluted by posting the same thing more than once in a random fashion to make the list seem even more overwhelming than it is), the OP has shifted the time-consuming work of discrediting each article onto those of us who understand that there is no link between vaccines and autism, which disincentivizes any kind of rebuttal. The scattershot approach also has the added benefit of making a point of view seem more supported by evidence than it actually is.

When you actually look at the articles, you'll see that (the ones I looked at) are highly discredited, and some aren't even relevant to the topic of vaccinations. I'm not going to waste my time getting sucked into an obvious scattershot argument by responding to each and every article, but here are a few things that should be noted:
  1. Many (if not most) of the articles deal with the Thimerosal controversy, which is irrelevant since pretty much all but the flu shots don't have Thimerosal anymore. Thimerosal was also never linked to autism (the one article that showed a link was discredited), and the quantities in flu shots are negligible. In addition, Thimerosal-free flu shots exist.
  2. Many (if not most) of the articles are by Mark and David Geier. They have been widely discredited. Here's some information about them from a Science Magazine article:

If you want to have a serious conversation about vaccines and autism, you need to do the following:
  1. Find reputable studies that demonstrate a link between vaccines and autism, which you haven't done.
  2. Present your articles in an honest fashion that doesn't overwhelm anyone who would want to respond.
If you don't do these things, then you're not wanting a serious conversation about autism. You're wanting to troll and respond to everyone by saying "I presented information. Please prove me wrong" over and over again.
thanks, the post we have all been waiting for :) well that settles it for me then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo