Valve to stop "policing" content on the Steam Store

IMG_8326.JPG

After controversies regarding adult games and inconsiderate content, Valve has decided to take a definitive stance on games on its platform. Now, so long as a game 'isn't straight up trolling or illegal', it'll be allowed on Steam. In a post on Steam called "Who gets to be on the Steam Store", company staff described the troubles of trying to regulate games, as well as deal with laws in multiple different countries. Citing these issues, and the climate after the removal of the school shooting game Active Shooter, and the panic over adult content being targeted for removal, Valve wants to clarify that it's time to disclose their new policy.

"Everything" will now be allowed on the Steam Store, so long as it doesn't break any laws or isn't considered trolling ("trolling" was not defined) meaning developers will be allowed to distribute their games with no fear of removal. According to Valve, this will let them focus on other important features or components to the company, rather than "policing" content.

To combat potential issues this may raise, you'll now be able to block certain types of games, such as overly gorey, hentai games, and other undesirable subject matter. Valve states that even though controversial games that deal with racism, sexual themes, violence, varying quality levels, etc will make it through approval to be on the Store now, it does not mean Valve supports these types of games internally. If a game does turn out to be an issue, they will handle things on a "case by case basis".

:arrow: Source

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
NA consists of three countries United States, Canada and Mexico, and among others. I know, most people refer to NA as United States but that's still incorrect then again, a lot of people are geographically challenged.
Geographically, but the United Nations Geoscheme's does not include Mexico as part of Northern America. They count it as separate from Northern America and count it as part of Central America. When you get airline tickets they do not count Mexico as part of Northern America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_geoscheme_for_the_Americas

Last edited by SG854,

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good. The less crappy censorship the better. It's not Steam's job to filter what people want to purchase or don't want to purchase, and if somebody want that boob jiggling simulator with anime girls with tentacles and shits, then they have 100% right for it if it is legal.

I'm fucking glad that there's at least one company that use their brains and don't cater to some shitty whinning of people that probably even don't use their services in the first place. This should be praised because this is how freedom is maintained and fanbase is treated with respect.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fucking glad that there's at least one company that use their brains and don't cater to some shitty whinning of people that probably even don't use their services in the first place. This should be praised because this is how freedom is maintained and fanbase is treated with respect.
Are/were good old games, Origin and all the others particularly noted for their listening to the prudes and permanently offended? I was mostly reading this as Valve accidentally forgot to send said email to spam, acted on it and then got a backlash which led to this.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is the question we need to ask. Will we FINALLY get DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball 3 on Steam?!?!
Probably not since Team Ninja is downplaying the sexualized designs of characters for DOA 6 because they're giving in to the SJW pressure from people who don't buy their games.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not since Team Ninja is downplaying the sexualized designs of characters for DOA 6 because they're giving in to the SJW pressure from people who don't buy their games.

Ugh! Fuck that shit! Xtreme 3 already has an English translation. We should get a quiet release and let the market decide on if it's a success here in the west.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

They will lost their money and either learn from this mistake or die as a company.
Like, does anybody learn from others' experiences and errors? Marvel Comics was obviously dying from other problems, but ignoring their actual fanbase for bunch of SJW does not helped at all. Now the same situation is with Star Wars and apparently Magic: The Gathering... Ignoring your loyal fanbase for bunch of triggered assholes sucks.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They will lost their money and either learn from this mistake or die as a company.
Like, does anybody learn from others' experiences and errors? Marvel Comics was obviously dying from other problems, but ignoring their actual fanbase for bunch of SJW does not helped at all. Now the same situation is with Star Wars and apparently Magic: The Gathering... Ignoring your loyal fanbase for bunch of triggered assholes sucks.
It's Koei Tecmo so I doubt they'd change their minds as long as thigs like the Musou and Atelier games stay successful.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's Koei Tecmo so I doubt they'd change their minds as long as thigs like the Musou and Atelier games stay successful.

Product is supposed to make money, tho. If DOA6 will not find a new niche in already oversaturated 3D fighter scene then Koei Tecmo will just refuse to release another games from this franchise. And without their boobs-loving fanbase, DOA has a rather small chance to compete with Tekken, SoulCalibur or even a fucking Mortal Kombat.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I'm... Conflicted. On one hand, I'm glad that they're loosening their grip. On the other, I'm really concerned that this might potentially see the spawn of a lot of racially/culturally charged games making it in, since there will be minimal moderation

Although, maybe that's including in "trolling". If that IS the case, then this is only a good thing in my eyes

Resident Evil 5 was considered a racist game back then because the enemies were Africans but in Resident Evil 4 where the enemies were Europeans (Spaniards) there was no backlash. Double-standards in what is deemed racist and isn't.

If you get offended by a game then don't play it.

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a good thing. The only reason games like hatred got any attention in the first place was all the moral police. Without them it would have been an obscure shitty game. As for asset flips, just don't buy them, its not that hard to tell plus there are refund policies. As for the notoriety it takes from good indie games, the market is already flooded. Notoriery is hard to get with or without asset flips.

bennedictnew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valve not going to loose all this money, except this they are going to monetize different in-game items, like a skins, items, etc. Also, their main goal is to keep people on game, that is why they created different ranks system, for example, for CS:GO game is like skins.cash/blog/cs-go-ranks-explained/
But now they will faced with problem that people can trade in-game item without Steam, because we already have different blockchain based marketplaces for trading in-game items. So, let's see what will happens next.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valve not going to loose all this money, except this they are going to monetize different in-game items, like a skins, items, etc. Also, their main goal is to keep people on game, that is why they created different ranks system, for example, for CS:GO game is like skins.cash/blog/cs-go-ranks-explained/
But now they will faced with problem that people can trade in-game item without Steam, because we already have different blockchain based marketplaces for trading in-game items. So, let's see what will happens next.
... Sorry, but what are you talking about?...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1