Valve to stop "policing" content on the Steam Store

IMG_8326.JPG

After controversies regarding adult games and inconsiderate content, Valve has decided to take a definitive stance on games on its platform. Now, so long as a game 'isn't straight up trolling or illegal', it'll be allowed on Steam. In a post on Steam called "Who gets to be on the Steam Store", company staff described the troubles of trying to regulate games, as well as deal with laws in multiple different countries. Citing these issues, and the climate after the removal of the school shooting game Active Shooter, and the panic over adult content being targeted for removal, Valve wants to clarify that it's time to disclose their new policy.

"Everything" will now be allowed on the Steam Store, so long as it doesn't break any laws or isn't considered trolling ("trolling" was not defined) meaning developers will be allowed to distribute their games with no fear of removal. According to Valve, this will let them focus on other important features or components to the company, rather than "policing" content.

To combat potential issues this may raise, you'll now be able to block certain types of games, such as overly gorey, hentai games, and other undesirable subject matter. Valve states that even though controversial games that deal with racism, sexual themes, violence, varying quality levels, etc will make it through approval to be on the Store now, it does not mean Valve supports these types of games internally. If a game does turn out to be an issue, they will handle things on a "case by case basis".

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Even when it didn't release with all the promises or vague things that they said, they still look like they put a fair amount effort into it. More like disappointing than the low quality they speak of.
Nah it was straight-up broken at launch. Dips to well below 30 FPS on a GTX 1070 at 1440p where I'd get 60 FPS at 4K in most games.

OctolingRift

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this won't go over well with those panzy-assed Parents/Conservitives
I doubt parents these days pay attention to this shit. Most kids play console

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

YES THIS IS AMAZING! I am anti censorship so this for me is something HUGE

Kolyasisan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Well, I mean, that's quite fine, but I am damn sure it will lead more to asset flips that try to get popular through shock content. And I am also damn sure that Valve won't give even a slightest concern about exterminating lazy shovelware it's filled with.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Don't you endorse what you sell on your store? Kind of fucked if you tell me that they once endorsed a school shooting game.

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
From what I understand of this post, straight-up adult/hentai games will be allowed, they'll just be flagged as such so Steam users can hide them if they wish.
Hentai is the least of it... This opens the floodgate to a whole load of things, ranging from questionable to the sort of thing that previously only existed in the dark depraved corners of the internet.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hentai is the least of it... This opens the floodgate to a whole load of things, ranging from questionable to the sort of thing that previously only existed in the dark depraved corners of the internet.
I think there will only be questionable stuff. There's no way that they'll allow messed up shit like child murder simulators (this is why TES games before Skyrim didn't have children present and why they're invincible in Skyrim) or toddlercon level shit (this is illegal in a lot of commonwealth countries) on their store because they'd probably be held liable if it's illegal where it's getting sold.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't you endorse what you sell on your store? Kind of fucked if you tell me that they once endorsed a school shooting game.
Many people don't understand this concept. They think that because something is digital that it means that it becomes exempt from traditional ideas that guide physical goods.

Endorsement, mindshare, brand. It doesn't matter if you are dealing in digital or physical, all of these still apply. Valve implicitly endorses anything it sells; they are making money off it. Valve stopping curation will inevitably make quality games harder to find, it doesn't matter if digital spaces have an infinite floorspace, that simply means that the customers need to filter through that much more shit. People are fickle, and don't want to waste their time, its the whole damn fucking reason Valve started steam in the first place: "Good readily available goods brought forth by a service will reduce piracy". It's just this time it's gone too far and is screwing over both the developers and consumers.

There's an argument to be made that Valve isn't an advertising service, but a store with good brand will sell more goods than one with a bad brand. You only get a good brand by selling quality goods.

Reactions: linuxares

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Many people don't understand this concept. They think that because something is digital that it means that it becomes exempt from traditional ideas that guide physical goods.

Endorsement, mindshare, brand. It doesn't matter if you are dealing in digital or physical, all of these still apply. Valve implicitly endorses anything it sells; they are making money off it. Valve stopping curation will inevitably make quality games harder to find, it doesn't matter if digital spaces have an infinite floorspace, that simply means that the customers need to filter through that much more shit. People are fickle, and don't want to waste their time, its the whole damn fucking reason Valve started steam in the first place: "Good readily available goods brought forth by a service will reduce piracy". It's just this time it's gone too far and is screwing over both the developers and consumers.

There's an argument to be made that Valve isn't an advertising service, but a store with good brand will sell more goods than one with a bad brand. You only get a good brand by selling quality goods.
Yeah, no wonder Indies are jumping ship from Steam to consoles now days. It's a sad, sad reality we live in.

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Valve are using all their man power to find new and inventive ways of getting money for doing absolutely sodding nothing. The cheeky bastards!

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The person I was replying to was talking about hentai/adult games so that's why I mentioned them, I'm well aware of the other kinds of things that'll now crop up.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's pretty questionable. I don't really mind laxer policies when it comes to certain content (adult, gorey, whatever) as long as there's a big warning when you select one, but no curation at all... I mean, that's pretty much what they were doing anyway. Ever since Greenlight at first and now the "pay 100$ to get anything on Steam", it's been so easy to just flood the place with garbage. It's kind of a difficult issue anyway, because while you want to keep out the 10 minute Unity tutorials with changed assets, there's never a clear line between "garbage" and "worthwhile game". There's still a fair amount of people who will call anything with retro graphics "outdated garbage" or similar, especially if you look at some of the hardcore console fans. At first it was kind of too difficult for very small developers who made decent games to get on Steam, but this isn't really right either.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's pretty questionable. I don't really mind laxer policies when it comes to certain content (adult, gorey, whatever) as long as there's a big warning when you select one, but no curation at all... I mean, that's pretty much what they were doing anyway. Ever since Greenlight at first and now the "pay 100$ to get anything on Steam", it's been so easy to just flood the place with garbage. It's kind of a difficult issue anyway, because while you want to keep out the 10 minute Unity tutorials with changed assets, there's never a clear line between "garbage" and "worthwhile game". There's still a fair amount of people who will call anything with retro graphics "outdated garbage" or similar, especially if you look at some of the hardcore console fans. At first it was kind of too difficult for very small developers who made decent games to get on Steam, but this isn't really right either.
Here's the thing. You mentioned this:
It's kind of a difficult issue anyway, because while you want to keep out the 10 minute Unity tutorials with changed assets, there's never a clear line between "garbage" and "worthwhile game".
This is exactly what curation is. Valve is being a panzy ass and doesn't want any bad press, so they said "Screw it! Everyone's in! Except for illegal products." They unfortunately caused this issue themselves. Valve had been increasingly subject to pressure from random places on the internet. I remember a controversy quite couple of years ago where they decided to remove a game and people cried "censorship". If Valve had simply said "We're a damn store and we don't want to sell this game, get over it," none of this would be happening. Instead they eventually released Steam Greenlight. Ever since then, Valve has been digging themselves further and further into a hole, standing their ground about not curating the garbage that goes on their store.

I'll say it again and again, Valve used to curate. That was over 5 years ago, before they started greenlight. Any misconceived notions about "What should be allowed on steam" foremost stop at what is illegal, then what Valve decides. Unfortunately, Valve decided to stop deciding. There is literally nothing stopping them from hiring a staff of 100 people to playtest and sanity check games. If people want something new, like how Valve claimed to be oh so surprised about visual novels, they can simply adjust the composition of the curation team to allow for such things to happen with a petition on their forums. Did enough people show interest? Great that means this thing will sell.

A triage system would do wonders for curation: Every time a game gets submitted to steam, a bot checks to see if it has an executable, malware, or even functions; the basics, Valve loves bots, and supposedly they are doing this already. If the game passes this test, send it to 10 people on their curation team. These people will assess the base quality of the game at a glance. Does it look like an asset flip, does it contain anything that would be offensive or against company standards, is it illegal. Next the game gets sent out to the next 3-5 people. These individuals will tag the game with the most obvious genres it contains by the screenshots and promotional videos: FPS, RTS, Multiplayer, Action, Puzzle, etc. That's it, done, nothing more. Finally, the last 80 people (or however many they need) will be sent the games that they are "proficient" in, and a random sample of games in other genre. These will be the people who actually play the game. They will then give a pass or fail to the game, and note down why. If enough people, say 70%, give the OK, the game gets admitted. If it fails, they send the game back to the developers and tell them why. Virus? Asset Flip? Misleading and or inappropriate promotional material? Game didn't meet quality standards and the playtesters didn't feel it was worth being sold? If they then said they had a three strike policy, where you had 3 tries per year without a successful game being admitted, you couldn't submit for the rest of the year.

Unfortunately, it's in Valve's interest to not curate. They have integrated all sorts of metamarketing into their systems from achievements, trading cards, and marketplaces to allow for the lowest quality shovelware to make them a sizeable amount of money for the few people (whales) actually want that stuff. This is ultimately detrimental to the entire ecosystem as it's making actual quality games harder to find. The AAA games corporations are advancing around this with advertising, but the smaller indie game publishers are getting washed away in the sea of shit. With all of the AAA games companies slowly creating their own stores: Origin, Uplay, Windows; and probably more to come (I wouldn't be surprised to see Bethesda make a store), Steam is going to lose the AAA market. With the AAA market gone, all steam will have left is it's ocean of shovelware and indies; the shovelware outnumbering the indies 100 to 1.

Any sane person can see where this is headed. With the AAA market moving on to fewer and fewer games, all sustained by microtransactions, they will move away from steam so they don't have to pay Valve the "privilege" for them to take 30% of the money they make. These companies are making enough money that they can host their own services, and market their own games. Gone are the days when being on Steam was marketing enough to sell a game because everything on it was a major published game, or from a company who had a good track record. Valve is being shortsighted with this decision. Steam will stay around for a decade, but by the end of it, unless they start literally cleaning up the shit they are selling, they won't be a market leader.

TL;DR: Valve needs to stop being such a fucking pushover and start curating. If people cry censorship, Valve needs to laugh at them and tell them it's their business, and they will run it the way they see fit. If they don't, they won't be in business after a decade.

Last edited by AbyssalMonkey,
Reactions: DarthDub

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is literally nothing stopping them from hiring a staff of 100 people to playtest and sanity check games
$30K a year x 100 = 3 million.
Are they going to lose 3 million in sales per year from this? I very much doubt it.
This also leaves aside how much of a dent 300 people can make, never mind the quality of decisions from those given a paltry sum of $30K (or less if I assume that $30K also covers pensions, overheads, taxes and what have you) and also made to play the many many tedious games.

Elsewhere
"Go to the new releases section right now"
Then don't go to the new releases section. There are a thousand other ways to see what new games are released, what games might be worth checking out (they had a nice tagging system once upon a time) and Valve themselves have some skill in ranking things if stuff like https://dotesports.com/counter-strike/news/csgo-rankings-explained-14168 is anything to go by.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Here's the thing. You mentioned this:

This is exactly what curation is. Valve is being a panzy ass and doesn't want any bad press, so they said "Screw it! Everyone's in! Except for illegal products." They unfortunately caused this issue themselves. Valve had been increasingly subject to pressure from random places on the internet. I remember a controversy quite couple of years ago where they decided to remove a game and people cried "censorship". If Valve had simply said "We're a damn store and we don't want to sell this game, get over it," none of this would be happening. Instead they eventually released Steam Greenlight. Ever since then, Valve has been digging themselves further and further into a hole, standing their ground about not curating the garbage that goes on their store.

I'll say it again and again, Valve used to curate. That was over 5 years ago, before they started greenlight. Any misconceived notions about "What should be allowed on steam" foremost stop at what is illegal, then what Valve decides. Unfortunately, Valve decided to stop deciding. There is literally nothing stopping them from hiring a staff of 100 people to playtest and sanity check games. If people want something new, like how Valve claimed to be oh so surprised about visual novels, they can simply adjust the composition of the curation team to allow for such things to happen with a petition on their forums. Did enough people show interest? Great that means this thing will sell.

Unfortunately, it's in Valve's interest to not curate. They have integrated all sorts of metamarketing into their systems from achievements, trading cards, and marketplaces to allow for the lowest quality shovelware to make them a sizeable amount of money for the few people (whales) actually want that stuff. This is ultimately detrimental to the entire ecosystem as it's making actual quality games harder to find. The AAA games corporations are advancing around this with advertising, but the smaller indie game publishers are getting washed away in the sea of shit. With all of the AAA games companies slowly creating their own stores: Origin, Uplay, Windows; and probably more to come (I wouldn't be surprised to see Bethesda make a store), Steam is going to lose the AAA market. With the AAA market gone, all steam will have left is it's ocean of shovelware and indies; the shovelware outnumbering the indies 100 to 1.

Any sane person can see where this is headed. With the AAA market moving on to fewer and fewer games, all sustained by microtransactions, they will move away from steam so they don't have to pay Valve the "privilege" for them to take 30% of the money they make. These companies are making enough money that they can host their own services, and market their own games. Gone are the days when being on Steam was marketing enough to sell a game because everything on it was a major published game, or from a company who had a good track record. Valve is being shortsighted with this decision. Steam will stay around for a decade, but by the end of it, unless they start literally cleaning up the shit they are selling, they won't be a market leader.
I'm sure they got a LOT more bad press by saying "fuck it, we cba with this policing shit, nobody is ever going to be happy", this is just going to be an infinite black hole money sink unless we just outright ban pretty much all indies until they hit a certain critical acclaim, I'm sure they would have received less backlash if they came forward and saif "we gonna ban everything", they were no doubt well aware of the probable backlash and figured stepping back and saying "do your own moaral policing" means less harassment of them every time someone finds something objectionable

personally I think people need to start accepting more responsibility for their own choices/decisions and stop expecting to get coddled and drip fed things like babies, take 5 minutes to research a game and eventually these "asset flips" and broken games will discover that its not profitable to make this shit any more, as long as people act like mindless puppets who just go "ooooooh new shiney thing buy buy buy" then the shit devs will continue making the same shit

Last edited by gamesquest1,

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
$30K a year x 100 = 3 million.
Are they going to lose 3 million in sales per year from this? I very much doubt it.
This also leaves aside how much of a dent 300 people can make, never mind the quality of decisions from those given a paltry sum of $30K (or less if I assume that $30K also covers pensions, overheads, taxes and what have you) and also made to play the many many tedious games.
Being made to play tedious games means that the people who played them can just stop playing after 20 minutes, give the game a negative evaluation and move on. That's their job. Also, that 3 million number is hilariously low when considered against Valve's operating profits. I don't know of any place to get some serious numbers, but here estimates in the excess of 3 billion, while Forbes back in 2011 has Gabe on the record saying they make in the "High hundreds of millions"

The 3 million, or even 10 million dollars they would lose by hiring a team of curators is laughably cheap in marketing to keep their store from losing it's hard earned brand identity with being the best place to buy games.

I'm sure they got a LOT more bad press by saying "fuck it, we cba with this policing shit, nobody is ever going to be happy, this is just going to be an infinite black hole money sink unless we just outright ban pretty much all indies until they hit a certain critical acclaim, I'm sure they would have received less backlash if they came forward and saif "we gonna ban everything", they were no doubt well aware of the probable backlash and figured stepping back and saying "do your own moaral policing" means less harassment of them every time someone finds something objectionable

personally I think people need to start accepting more responsibility for their own choices/decisions and stop expecting to get coddled and drip fed things like babies, take 5 minutes to research a game and eventually these "asset flips" and broken games will discover that its not profitable to make this shit any more, as long as people act like mindless puppets who just go "ooooooh new shiney thing buy buy buy" then the shit devs will continue making the same shit

You are literally missing the issue. I can say with near confidence, that in the current environment, Valve could easily laugh away any criticism about their curation policies if they decided to enforce them within a month. People would forget and move on.

Secondly, you seem to think that people are being mislead into buying asset flips. I would hazard a guess that 99% of the people who even see it on the page ignore it. That's not the problem. The problem is that decent games are getting sprinkled in with the dozens of lists of trash, and so people will scroll right past a decent game they would have bought instead. It has literally nothing to do with research, it's all about visibility, and if your game is in a line with 10 other pieces of trash, 9/10 people will skip over your game too in an attempt to find greener pastures.

Last edited by AbyssalMonkey,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Being made to play tedious games means that the people who played them can just stop playing after 20 minutes, give the game a negative evaluation and move on. That's their job. Also, that 3 million number is hilariously low when considered against Valve's operating profits. I don't know of any place to get some serious numbers, but here estimates in the excess of 3 billion, while Forbes back in 2011 has Gabe on the record saying they make in the "High hundreds of millions"

The 3 million, or even 10 million dollars they would lose by hiring a team of curators is laughably cheap in marketing to keep their store from losing it's hard earned brand identity with being the best place to buy games.
The difference between 3 million and zero is pretty big even for a big company. There are tons of user reviews for games on Steam, there's a search bar, and you can search by genre. It's not Valve's job to make sure you don't buy something you don't like. You can just simply not buy everything you see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated