PS1/2 Verbatim DVD-R on PS2

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a 10 pack of Verbatim DVD-Rs to play burned PS2 games. My PS2 is a soft modded slim with Free McBoot. The DVDs I had before Verbatim were TDK DVD+R (one is a Sony DVD+R). Those work, but anything I burn on the Verbatims won't read. I use ImgBurn to burn my games at AWS speed. It's worked perfectly with the TDK and Sony discs, but not the Verbatim discs. I have burned three discs at three different speeds (AWS, 4X, and 16X), but none of them work. I was thinking it was my PS2's laser, but it still reads the TDK and Sony discs, as well as official PS2 discs, just fine. So is there any way to get these discs to work? If not, is the problem Verbatim or the fact that it's DVD-R?
The Verbatim discs are 4.7gb 16X DVD-R and my PS2's model number is 77001
The TDK and Sony discs are 4.7gb 16x DVD+R

Edit: I've heard that disc manufacturers make a difference. The manufacturer ID of my Verbatims is CMC MAG. AM3

*SOLVED* I went out and bought a pack of Verbatim DVD+Rs and they work. The problem was probably the other discs being -R instead of +R.

Last edited by Black_Heart,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is there any particular reason why you're burning discs at all? Ethernet or USB loading sounds far more convenient. As for the burning method, it sounds like your burner is a little fast - the PS2's DVD drive is x4, and really, you should burn discs as slow as humanly possible anyways to increase accuracy. Perhaps your system just hates the medium you're using - it happens. Consoles are picky about burnt discs, it's a well-known problem, some people experience issues even between batches of the same kind of medium.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you patch your images with ESR patcher before burning?
Yes. I make sure all my ISOs are ESR patched before burning.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is there any particular reason why you're burning discs at all? Ethernet or USB loading sounds far more convenient. As for the burning method, it sounds like your burner is a little fast - the PS2's DVD drive is x4, and really, you should burn discs as slow as humanly possible anyways to increase accuracy. Perhaps your system just hates the medium you're using - it happens. Consoles are picky about burnt discs, it's a well-known problem, some people experience issues even between batches of the same kind of medium.
I can never get OPL to read my USB (I follow tutorials exactly) and my PS2 is a whole other floor away from my router, so Ethernet isn't happening. I prefer physical media anyways. As I stated, all other burned discs work perfectly, it's only the Verbatim's that are giving me problems. As you said, it could just be a bad batch.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I never get OPL to read my USB (I follow tutorials exactly) and my PS2 is a whole other floor away from my router, so Ethernet isn't happening. I prefer physical media anyways. As I stated, all other burned discs work perfectly, it's only the Verbatim's that are giving me problems. As you said, it could just be a bad batch.
That's very odd, I've never had any issues besides the few games that are incompatible. It sounds to me like you're having trouble with discs either way, and you'll have more and more trouble with them as the laser in your system ages and manufacturers stop producing media compatible with low-speed drives. Instead of grinding it, invest in a cheapy switch and connect it to your wireless network - done and doner, your OPL folder can be shared across the network. Your system will thank you for it in the long term.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro