• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Vic Mignogna (Dragon Ball VA) Sexual Harrasment Case Update, This is Scary

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes. I haven’t been keeping up real close lately, and Nicks video streams are really long. Is Marz Girl getting sued? I know it’ll be trouble since she’s in another state, California I believe.

Where she is don't matter as much as where the infringed lives, I believe.

Also they're on the FIRST ROUND of litigations. Marzgurl, Rooster Teeth, etc, will be included as things roll along and the idiots already being sued try to use them as leverage to legitimize their case.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Where she is don't matter as much as where the infringed lives, I believe.

Also they're on the FIRST ROUND of litigations. Marzgurl, Rooster Teeth, etc, will be included as things roll along and the idiots already being sued try to use them as leverage to legitimize their case.

Getting a lawyer is expensive. Vic’s go fund me is at $167,000 right now.

Last edited by SG854,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got a slight misunderstanding: They're being sued for a MINIMUM of $1m. The amount they'll actually be paying out will be far, faaaar worse.
In reality he will get nothing, unless she actually has a lot of money, but most of the time you just get the "you win" and nothing else. And theres really only one place that probably hired him enough to support him, now that theyve fired him idk if they would rehire him, if not only of embarrassment.

Last edited by Ericthegreat,
Reactions: Sicklyboy

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In reality he will get nothing, unless she actually has a lot of money, but most of the time you just get the "you win" and nothing else. And theres really only one place that probably hired him enough to support him, now that theyve fired him idk if they would rehire him, if not only of embarrassment.
Thus far there's 0 intent to settle. Which means that if he wins, there WILL be money. If they lack money, they will need to offer assets.

Ofc this isn't about 'rehiring' Vic. Hence why settlement seems out of the question. This is about salvaging his good name and proving it in a court of law. They've made accusations, and under the law, they're now REQUIRED to put up proof or shut up (that's how defamation lawsuits work, contrary to public perception). If they have no proof, then it proves that he's lost work due to defamation, and thus not putting him up counts as a form of defamation itself. It also makes those who aren't decided where they stand more likely to hire him/invite him to cons. Because he'd be cleared by a court of law.

Also you got to remember: Japan's companies are watching this. While he may not being rehired by Funimation, do note it's likely if Toei has to take direct steps into the american market since they've seen how two-faced Funimation is, they might hire him simply because of how he's handled himself in this case.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thus far there's 0 intent to settle. Which means that if he wins, there WILL be money. If they lack money, they will need to offer assets.

Ofc this isn't about 'rehiring' Vic. Hence why settlement seems out of the question. This is about salvaging his good name and proving it in a court of law. They've made accusations, and under the law, they're now REQUIRED to put up proof or shut up (that's how defamation lawsuits work, contrary to public perception). If they have no proof, then it proves that he's lost work due to defamation, and thus not putting him up counts as a form of defamation itself. It also makes those who aren't decided where they stand more likely to hire him/invite him to cons. Because he'd be cleared by a court of law.

Also you got to remember: Japan's companies are watching this. While he may not being rehired by Funimation, do note it's likely if Toei has to take direct steps into the american market since they've seen how two-faced Funimation is, they might hire him simply because of how he's handled himself in this case.
The funny thing is you think everyone owns "assets"? Also there are all kinds of "hardships" you cant cause a person, limiting what you can take. I am interested what did funimation do? Also I dont know that much about whats been going on so I am not siding with either side. (Though I dont believe any random women should be able to ruin a mans career with no proof....)

Reactions: Sicklyboy

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The funny thing is you think everyone owns "assets"? Also there are all kinds of "hardships" you cant cause a person, limiting what you can take. I am interested what did funimation do? Also I dont know that much about whats been going on so I am not siding with either side. (Though I dont believe any random women should be able to ruin a mans career with no proof....)
Funimation is associated with the slander/direct defamation. Ron Toye was speaking on Twitter (and his wife Monica implying the same) that he was a higher up employee at Funimation.

Why does this matter even if he wasn't? Funimation was clearly aware of these comments and never interceded. Ergo Ron Toye 'spoke on their behalf as an agent'. Because common people with no knowledge of the situation wouldn't know better (and those following the case closely themselves are unsure), the common people would believe Ron Toye's comments as facts because Funimation LET him post these defamatory statements. Ergo Funimation is directly associated with the defamation by permitting a false agent speak 'on their behalf'. There are ofc other bits.

Basically put, by allowing someone to 'pose' as a funimation higher up (high enough to have access to files he shouldn't), he has made Funimation culpable for his actions by permitting him to slander Vic. Because by LETTING him pose as them, they gave him credibility he didn't deserve.

Edit: And if he WAS Funimation, and there is no proof of the sexual misconduct he claims Vic has, not to mention the fact he claimed legal action AGAINST VIC was coming to conventions to sway their opinion, but such action never came up until long after Vic had filed his own suit against them (which was ~4 months later)? Yeah. Really does NOT look good for Toye or Rial.

Last edited by VartioArtel,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, you can sue someone for 2 million dollars, but if they don't have it (in the bank or in assets) you're not going to get it. Even if they have assets, they might only have, per say $30,000 worth of stuff and you're also not going to get all of that either.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope he takes FUNimation to the cleaners.

ZN3yCb6.jpg
These people are scum, and the new voice actor for Bulma is plain awful anyway. I stand with Edward Elric!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

FnhdE6V.jpg

OMG! Can you believe this sicko! No wonder they fired him, how could he do that?! He literally raped her!

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
You honestly think he won't be using some of the victory money into the 2nd round? Once he wins round 1, round 2's going to be easy.
Im sure he would. Lawyers are still very expensive.

I hope he takes FUNimation to the cleaners.

ZN3yCb6.jpg
These people are scum, and the new voice actor for Bulma is plain awful anyway. I stand with Edward Elric!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

FnhdE6V.jpg

OMG! Can you believe this sicko! No wonder they fired him, how could he do that?! He literally raped her!
They fired him because he ate a jelly bean with Monica’s name on it.

And you can find plenty of pictures of Monica hugging and kissing fans.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is being creepy the same thing as sexual harassment? I was under the impression it was about a lack of consent when touching someone, especially when it comes to culturally assigned sexual areas, and vocally being inappropriately sexually explicit. It requires it being implied, not just being inferred. Unfortunately, intent isn't as important as whether what you said was implied or not.

I haven't heard the details about this one. I'll have to look into the actual claims.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sure he would. Lawyers are still very expensive.

I wonder if these same people are voting for Joe Biden.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I wonder if these same people are voting for Joe Biden.
I don’t know.

He said at a con I’m going to eat Monica, he said it about a Jelly Bean with Monica’s name on it and that was their proof of sexual harassment and one of the reasons Funimation fired him.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The other 2 cases are equally hilarious.

The first, confirmed case was he was making out with a co-worker on a consensual basis. Seems they claim he was sexually harassing her, but that was one of the cases of complaints that the Funi Employees tried to warp against him. The investigator FOUND it consensual.

The other, we know little to nothing about. Just "Vic tried to make out with X", whoever X is, they said no, and he stopped on the dime.

A little horny? Sure.
A flirt? Okay.
A rapist? That's stretching it.

Every single case against Vic has been stories. The key evidence they've tried to use is a Tumblr blog that's now more or less defunct. The funny thing is: said Twitter Blog's owner themself admitted they're stories. They have no proof of them being true, or false, and they believed a majority were false (I think they used 99% as their measuring stick?).

And because all they have are stories? That's why they're in this defamation case. Because stories without proof are ultimately just stories. There's no proof they actually occurred.

Like a story of me claiming one of the mods here are actually aliens from Omicron Persei 8.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know.

He said at a con I’m going to eat Monica, he said it about a Jelly Bean with Monica’s name on it and that was their proof of sexual harassment and one of the reasons Funimation fired him.

Well, I don't see any problem with stating you want to or desire to have mutual sex with someone. Is that now considered sexual harassment? I can't keep up with all of PC bullshit.

D

Deleted User

And because all they have are stories? That's why they're in this defamation case. Because stories without proof are ultimately just stories. There's no proof they actually occurred.

Like a story of me claiming one of the mods here are actually aliens from Omicron Persei 8.

I smell a coverup, one of the mods made you put this here.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
STORIES! LIES!

oh, i mean. hahaha yes good example.

I have heard stories of inviting people up to the room, of kisses on cheeks and hugs without asking, things like that. Where's the line between a bit creepy and sexual harassment? who decides?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?