Video shows possible drift issues already arising with the Nintendo Switch Lite

The Nintendo Switch has been a success in many ways, but where most can agree that the console has fallen short, is in regards to the Joy-Cons; ever since the launch of the Switch, Joy-Con drift has become a rampant issue. Such problems were assumed to be done away with the Switch Lite, the smaller, more portable oriented variation of the Switch, which lacked the detachable Joy-Cons. However, once a teardown of the new hardware had taken place, it was revealed that the joysticks used within the Switch Lite were almost identical to the problematic ones from the drift-ridden Joy-Cons, meaning that it was entirely possible for users to still experience drift.

Such a problem could be much worse for the Lite revision, as the control sticks are connected to the entire system, and cannot be removed and replaced as easily as they can be with the original Switch. In a video posted by Alexis Javier, he shows off his brand new Switch Lite playing Breath of the Wild, and you can quickly notice that input is being registered on the right joystick, despite the user not pressing any buttons. Now, the video in question could just stem from an unlikely rare, faulty unit. Or, it could have been done in order to raise outrage during the launch week of the Switch Lite. As of the time of writing, this video appears to be the only popular source showing off possible drift with the console, but only time will tell if drift will begin to impact owners of the Switch Lite.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nintendo only makes toys nowdays.
nothing last forever and even the most sturdiest analog sticks (ps2, ps3, gc, x360) go bad, but the vita (that came out several years before the switch) shares the same (or very similar) analog stick design and the failure rate is much lower than the joycons. the high joycon failure rate and them ignoring the problem goes to show that nintendo doesn't care anymore and only want to build disposable toys.

@DuoForce don't feed the troll. he already made you lose several minutes of your time.

is the failure rate actually lower, or were more switch sticks in use in week one than they ever were in the entire vitas lifetime?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
is the failure rate actually lower, or were more switch sticks in use in week one than they ever were in the entire vitas lifetime?
10 million vitas were sold by the end of 2015.
By the time the switch had the same 10 million users, people were already having problems with the joycon analog sticks.

Also, a rate is a percetage, so it doesn't really matter how many units are out there.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Not really - it's actually even a bit simpler due to less ribbon cables involved. Construction is pretty much the same (down to the controls being on separate boards), so all you have to do is to unscrew a heatsink, disconnect a couple cables with tweezers and replace the stick. Here's a vid of the process:

eh, I suppose what I was thinking is that some people might be less comfortable opening the console than opening an easily-replaceable controller if they aren't the kind of people who like diy fixes.

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This could be a different fault (or so I hope). How could it possibly develop drifting within just a few days?

I'm scared. I'd like to get a Lite in the future.
Please, oh please, Nintendo, you didn't screw this up, right?

pyrotechnicmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to solve joy con drifting problem?
Get the Chinese replacement analog joystick and replace the original one.
That's what I didn't to 3 of my joy cons who have drifting problem and until now they are working better than the original, they are not expensive.
Not many people are technically inclined. Any cost to make an item you purchased work is unacceptable.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey remember the Nintendo 64 controller? It wasn't as bad but this shows Nintendo not caring about crappy controllers is historical at this point.

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey remember the Nintendo 64 controller? It wasn't as bad but this shows Nintendo not caring about crappy controllers is historical at this point.
N64 was their fist try at designing an analogue stick, so that one was at least excuseable.

But designing a new revision of a hardware with a known issue and neglecting to use this opportunity to fix the issue isn't.
I still hope that something was changed under the hood to make the Lite sticks less failure prone, but who knows.

skinnyBIGGS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a switch lite and can confirm after hours of play i too was seeing a drift in zelda .. i imagine it will be more prone when OVERWATCH hits the nintendo switch.. these weak ass joycon designs should be a priorty fix.. but hey using a game pad pro solves all.. im not a big fan of brining my switch places for.portability seeing how games only last a few hrs of play before a charge is needed... im on my way to take my switch back hopefully the next one will not be prone to this as its very frustrating for certain games that require a sensitive touch for aiming etc...like come on NINTENDO your consumers have spoken.. like did they design it with only asians in mind.. lmfao i have giant hands and the joys just never felt right just like the vita...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Or drop the price of joycons like almost 100$ is robbery

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, boy. Here comes the People / YouTube channels talking about this shit for 5 years straight until the next console comes out.
And? If it's a problem, it damn sure is a problem that people should be made aware of.

Better to make sure to keep the pressure on Nintendo. They refused to even acknowledge that the hinge on the ds(lite)/i/xl was even a problem, but they made damn sure to fix it by the time it came to making the 3ds.

D

Deleted User

Wahoo, get ready for the broken Switch Lites coming to NOA with nothing in return. NOA's response will be in 3 years when they say "We have been aware of the Joy-Con drift problem, especially on the Nintendo Switch Lite, and we are at work currently at fixing the issue. For the time being, you can return your Nintendo Switch Lite system and get a replacement in no time (no time is 6 months)!"
Oh, and you will only be able to return your Switch Lite's to NOA, so rejoice PAL gamers, your completely boned!

Last edited by ,

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if people didn't play with their sticks like barbarians this issue wouldn't arise. Never in my entire history of owning my Switch since launch have I had any drift issues.
Good. More asshats who think that just because they've never experienced a problem, it must just not be a problem. A ton of people having the exact fucking same identical issue with parts proven to be failure prone? Its obviously cause you're all fucking beating on the sticks! OBVIOUSLY!

Reactions: NeroAngelo

pyrotechnicmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if people didn't play with their sticks like barbarians this issue wouldn't arise. Never in my entire history of owning my Switch since launch have I had any drift issues.
There is reason there is a huge market for replacement joy con sticks on eBay and amazon. There is huge demand because guess what, it is a widespread issue.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of my two consoles (Switch/lite) has presented this issue. Why? Because I don’t use the joycons! I only use my magic ns adapter with a PS4 controller. Profit!

And for those people that will shout at me with the argument NOT EVERYONE HAS THESE KIND OF CONTROLLERS, or THE NINTENDO SWITCH LITE IS A DEDICATED HANDHELD AND THERE IS NO POINT ON USING A PLAYSTAND, GET A REGULAR SWITCH INSTEAD:

1. I’m really sorry for you

2. That is the way I avoid drift

Imagine a console so pathetic, you have to use another console's controller to enjoy it properly.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Good. More asshats who think that just because they've never experienced a problem, it must just not be a problem. A ton of people having the exact fucking same identical issue with parts proven to be failure prone? Its obviously cause you're all fucking beating on the sticks! OBVIOUSLY!
I've never had any drifting issues and I've had my Switch since 2017.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety