• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Vote yes on Prop 19

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
TrolleyDave said:
I've smoked pot for 20 years now and never suffered any of the things being pushed forward here. I've never robbed anyone, never stolen to buy it, I can go weeks and months without smoking it without turning into a clucking mess, I've never snapped and shot up a McDonalds. As for insomnia, I've suffered it my whole life. When I was younger I'd go 2 or 3 days at a time without being able to sleep. When smoking a couple of bongs/joints a night I sleep deeply, regularly and always feel refreshed in the morning. As for it giving you cancer, living in modern society is more damaging to your lungs and genetics. Ever seen someone die from sitting in a room full of pot smoke? Now what would happen if you sat in a garage with the car running?

It hasn't made me stupid, it hasn't made me lazy and I'm definitely not dependent. Hell, I've met people more hooked on Facebook than me or my mates have ever been on pot. If you have an addictive or co-dependent personality it doesn't matter what the trigger, it could be Pokemon games, cheeseburgers, crack or even an abusive partner, it's the personality type that's at fault.
Agreed, though I haven't used pot as long as you have, I definitely haven't noticed any of the negative effects that were mentioned by the other tempers.
As for pot causing insomnia, that's the purest dose of bullshit I've heard in my life. Everyone I know who smoes pot says they sleep better after smoking it.
And the cancer thing too, petrol fumes and cigarette smoke are more harmful than pot smoke.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would fix the economy I don't live in Cali but I would vote yes.

I once read somewhere tobacco is worse than marajuana.

injected11 said:
If only prop 19 mattered... Marijuana's criminalization is a Federal law, so even if this passes, they can enforce the law and punish offenders. Keep in mind Scharzenegger de-criminalized it in Cullyfawnya awhile back, yet that also seems to have done nothing.

Anyway, I'd vote yes.

I don't get your post Prop 19 only matter to California its a state law so he never decriminalized it becuase there in the process right now.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Blood Fetish said:
The most tragic part of all this is that we are causing far more violence and death by keeping cannabis illegal.
QUOTE(ThatDudeWithTheFood @ Nov 2 2010, 08:34 PM) This would fix the economy I don't live in Cali but I would vote yes.

Totally agree with both these statements. All drugs should be legalised and controlled by the government (not pharmaceutical companies). From creation to distribution and sale. They should be licensed in a similar manner to alcohol. While they're illegal they're controlled by gangs, thugs and criminals. These guys kill to protect their profits, not just other gang members and criminals either. Innocent people die in the fight over their profits. It would also take away power from cartels, the mafia, triads and the like. Millions each year leaves the economy of countries like the US and the UK that doesn't return. At least if it's government controlled that money stays in the economy and can be used towards things that would make a difference. People are going to use them no matter how hard you try to prohibit it, so why not turn it into something positive. Plus taking away the "rebelliousness" of it would stop a proportion of those that take it up because it's "cool".

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
demotivational-posters-yet.jpg
'Nuff said.
America should be more like Holland
tongue.gif

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I voted yes on Prop 19. It is kinda like alcohol. Legalizing it will actually give government more control over it.

We knew how banning alcohol goes in the past.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i would, but i'm a wetback.

kinda off topic.

jerry brown seems to have allocated the oakland fox theatre down the street from my office for his victory ceremony. i don't know how to feel about him. being an oakland resident for over 13 years now i feel like he fucked us very nicely and i really hate how oakland is ran. the government in this town has so many scams in place to screw us over left and right. from parking scams to administration fees that cost more than the service to pretty-much-illegal-property taxes called "parcel tax"

it's total bullshit and between him and that ebay bitch i think california is in for a ride.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like Dave's points. Even if smoking pot/alcohol/extreme_drugs reduced life expectancy, that may actually be good for society. Do you know how much money is spent to keep some people a year older?

If someone has a drink of alcohol, then gets into an accident, what is the probability that this person got into an accident not from the alcohol?

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Zetta_x said:
I like Dave's points. Even if smoking pot/alcohol/extreme_drugs reduced life expectancy, that may actually be good for society. Do you know how much money is spent to keep some people a year older?

If someone has a drink of alcohol, then gets into an accident, what is the probability that this person got into an accident not from the alcohol?
Only a lot of people end up in a bad condition and thus costing lots of money exactly due to legal/illegal drugs. Which in turn makes them depend on medical drugs. It's a vicious circle.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, you are right. I think we should, as human beings, learn to accept death naturally and quit buffing out the human population. There is a reason why survival of the fittest is necessary to maintain a stable species. If someone dies from smoking pot, it may actually be better overall as a society in the future.

Another thing is that organizations like the government like to pretend what is best for us as humans. For one, this whole sense of morality is taken way out of hand. When there is a time where overpopulation is too much for current resources, what are we going to do without killing people off?

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A lot of naive people in here. Surprised people think this is actually a health or citizen issue. This is an economic issue. As we stand right now, California is in a horrible economic state. We were formally the eight largest economy and now we can barely fund our famous education system without cutting back millions of dollars from each school. If we can legalize something thats negative impact has been vastly exaggerated, why not? Not to mention this would definitely help solve the drug trafficking issue with Mexico.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
A lot of naive people in here. Surprised people think this is actually a health or citizen issue. This is an economic issue. As we stand right now, California is in a horrible economic state. We were formally the eight largest economy and now we can barely fund our famous education system without cutting back millions of dollars from each school. If we can legalize something thats negative impact has been vastly exaggerated, why not? Not to mention this would definitely help solve the drug trafficking issue with Mexico.

drug trafficking is very complex and i don't think this would solve it. i am for legalizing marijuana but the trafficking issue would only be helped if the law takes effect in the whole country. legalizing only in california would simply bring the trafficking issues from mexico=>USA to CA+mexico=> the rest of the USA.

trafficers will simply want of the california action.

i think legalizing marijuana will help considerably with our economic issues. a lot less people in jail for possession = a lot less money spent on prosecuting and prison maintenance. but you can't expect those terrible traffickers to go away

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
dinofan01 said:

I agree with everything except it solving smuggling from Mexico. Mexico is responsible for alot of heroin being imported into the USA. Not sure about them being the top importer or anything but it's a sizable amount for sure. Legalising would solve alot of economic problems. It'd have to be carefully regulated of course, same as alcohol, but I don't see it damaging society. Most people who would be buying it would already be smokers anyway! Why not take that money out of drug dealers hands and put it to good use.

QUOTE(nando @ Nov 2 2010, 11:58 PM) drug trafficking is very complex and i don't think this would solve it. i am for legalizing marijuana but the trafficking issue would only be helped if the law takes effect in the whole country. legalizing only in marijuana would simply bring the trafficking issues from mexico=>USA to CA+mexico=> the rest of the USA.

trafficers will simply want of the california action.

i think legalizing marijuana will help considerably with our economic issues. a lot less people in jail for possession = a lot less money spent on prosecuting and prison maintenance. but you can't expect those terrible traffickers to go away

Totally agree about the drug trafficking from Mexico. Alot of heroin comes from there as well. As long as there's an illegal substance someone will smuggle it. The money's too good not too.
wink.gif
I don't see it working if just one state does it though. Like you say, it'll add to trafficking problems to other states.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So everyone that says "no" to this, i'm sure has never smoked pot. And I'm sure the reason they've never smoked pot is only because it's illegal. Because, honestly, that's why people don't do drugs. Because they're illegal. If I had a dollar for every time I've wanted a meth addiction -- if only it wasn't illegal.

People that smoke pot smoke pot. People that don't, don't. The legal status of pot wont effect either. People that are going to smoke pot will still smoke pot. People that don't wont go out and ruin their lives spending all their income on little debbie brownies if it's legalized. The difference is one outcome gets billions of tax revenue and drug dealers of the street, and the other makes some hyper-(and uninformed)-conservatives feel good that jesus will hi5 them.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
dinofan01 said:

I agree with everything except it solving smuggling from Mexico. Mexico is responsible for alot of heroin being imported into the USA. Not sure about them being the top importer or anything but it's a sizable amount for sure. Legalising would solve alot of economic problems. It'd have to be carefully regulated of course, same as alcohol, but I don't see it damaging society. Most people who would be buying it would already be smokers anyway! Why not take that money out of drug dealers hands and put it to good use.
Oh no. i definitely dont think it would solve the entire problem. I was speaking more specifically about California. Marijunia is a huge part of the trafficking problem. The tijuana border is a scary place to be for most people. This could definitely put a huge dent in the problem. But you do have a point in it being a problem for other states. Especially texas. Im not sure what to really say to that other then california needs to calm the situation on their front. Id hate to see us throw our problem on someone else but it might be what happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyhlqvXzsCE