Hacking [vWii] EmuNAND redirection not working for Wii tiles played through USB Loader GX

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi there,

A while ago I got my hands on a Wii U that I had modded and set up to be able to play my Gamecube, Wii and Wii U backups. Ever since I had a PS3's blu-ray laser die on me, my main drive behind using backups is to subject my consoles to as little wear and tear as possible. For my Wii U I got this pretty much covered as far as Wii U and Gamecube titles go. There's just one thing I can't seem to get working: redirecting save files to EmuNAND.

Starting with the hardware setup, I initially got a self-powered 1,5 TB Seagate HDD, but the blasted thing started making constant clicking noises and games became near-impossibly to play because of loading issues (e.g. while playing Metroid Prime you end up stuck in a room because the next room won't be loaded). Because of that, I resorted to using a 1TB WD Elements HDD that's connected to the Wii U with an Y USB cable. Just so there's no need to ask which USB port I used, the data cable is connected to the upper port (upper when the Wii U is laying down flat). This is the only way the USB Loader GX can actually read the HDD as the other way around doesn't works. At any rate, this works fine.

On vWii, I got Homebrew Channel and use that to launch USB Loader GX. On my SD card I got the following apps in the /Apps folder: Nintendont, USB Loader GX and Wiiflow. I made an /nands/nand1 folder meant for EmuNAND on the SD card. I want to use EmuNANDto spare my Wii U's NAND memory from wear and tear. Redirecting save files is my primary concern, although the rest (Mii's, Wiimote configurations, etc.) would be a welcome bonus in further reducing NAND wear and tear. For the sake of simplicity I tried to use cIOS EmuNAND, although I chose this folder path and name with future use of neek(2o) in mind in case I may end up needing it for some games, although I'll accept for the time being that Metroid Prime 3 and The Legend of Zelda: The Skyward have cIOS EmuNAND issues.

My USB Loader GX's version is v3.0 rev 1262.

In Custom Paths I entered the following paths for Nand Emu:
Nand Emu Path = sd:/nands/nand1/
Nand Emu Channel Path = sd:/nands/nand1/

My Loader Settings that I believe may be relevant to the topic are set as following:
Loader's IOS = IOS 58*
Game's IOS = IOS 250*
Quick Boot = OFF
Block IOS Related = Auto
Return To = OFF
Nand Saves Emulation = Full
Nand Chan. Emulation = Full

I used the Dump NAND to EmuNAND feature from Features to make a full NAND dump to my SD card. When asked what to extract from NAND, I chose Everything.

From the instructions I found on Internet, I figured this was a pretty simple process, but the thing is, my saves aren't redirected to EmuNAND at all! At the very least they are still stored on the Wii U's NAND. I noticed this after I switched to a new HDD. I wanted to confirm if my EmuNand was working correctly by temporarily removing my EmuNAND dump from my SD card and store it on my computer while setting the Nand Saves Emulation and Nand Chan. Emulation settings to OFF. To my disappointment, my games still retained all their saves on the Wii's internal NAND (vWii Menu -> Wii Options -> Save Data) and when after reactivating the EmuNand settings to FULL and starting a game I hadn't played before, a new save data block showed up in the Wii's Save Data menu.

I have tried to figure out what's going wrong here and look for people with similar problems, but I haven't been able to find any solutions at what to do here. I got everything I want up and running except for redirection to EmuNand. I'm at my wit's end and I'm hoping that anyone here could tell me what to do to get my EmuNand up and running.

Best Regards,
NynrahGhost

* For reason unknown to me my Seagate HDD worked with Loader's IOS 249 and Game;s IOS 249, but I needed to switch to a different setting to use my current WD Elements HDD lest I get a "stuck on initializing usb device" notification and make things work. Nevertheless, Loader's IOS 58 and Game's IOS 250 allow me to initialize my HDD and read the games on it, so that issue was resolved as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Deleted User

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some aditional info I forgot to mention, I used WBFS Manager 3.0 to put my games on my HDD with the intent to only store Wii backups on it.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Welcom to the Wii U Section.

For your "clicking" HDD (your HDD gets too little Power) please use such an Cable:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009EAF0RU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or if your HDD has an microUSB:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07HX678BX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Wii U is a little "weak" on USB "Power/Voltage".:)

Some aditional info I forgot to mention, I used WBFS Manager 3.0 to put my games on my HDD with the intent to only store Wii backups on it.
Please only use WiiBackup Manager - the WBFS Manager have a serious Bug/Issue !

At the beginning of 2010, many and sometimes serious errors were found in the LIBWBFS. Since these errors were also passed on to WBFS Manager 3.0, one can only advise against using the program.

https://wiiki.wii-homebrew.com/WBFS-Manager

And as @godreborn mentioned:
Nand Saves Emulation = Partial or OFF if you do not need Gamesave to SD Card´s emuNAND.

Good Luck
Thank you.:)

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello.:)

Welcom to the Wii U Section.

For your "clicking" HDD (your HDD gets too little Power) please use such an Cable:

or if your HDD has an microUSB:

The Wii U is a little "weak" on USB "Power/Voltage".:)

Please only use WiiBackup Manager - the WBFS Manager have a serious Bug/Issue !

And as @godreborn mentioned:
Nand Saves Emulation = Partial or OFF if you do not need Gamesave to SD Card´s emuNAND.

Good Luck
Thank you.:)
The clicking HDD was actually powered by its own power adapter, so thre was no saving that thing. I'm currently using a Y cable on the HDD I'm currently using. Like I said, all of that is working fine. Just figured I'd mention it to paint a more complete picture of my setup.

Hadn't bothered to switch to Wii Backup Manager yet because I hadn't run into trouble yet. Does it matter if my games are saved on my HDD, but my EmuNand is on my SD card?

I will try to set my Nand Saves Emulation setting to Partial.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Nomado

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Have you maybe tried making Emunand direction as sd:/nands/?

About loader issue, I had same issue and mine was solved by setting Loader IOS to 249 also.

I checked my Emunand saves and I don't know if mine is working or not since I set up my emunand only for some certain Japanese region locked Wiiware titles. But regular Wii backups are certainly saving to my Wii Nand.

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK, here goes. I've changed my Nand settings to the following:
Nand Saves Emulation = Partial
Nand Emu Path = sd:/nandsaves/
Nand Emu Channel Path = sd:/nands/nand1/

I also set the Nand Emulation to Partial in the game settings as well the Nand Emu Path to sd:/nandsaves/ for all of my games except Metroid Prime Trilogy and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Note that I'm not using any WiiWare or VC titles, so I made a new folder to test out the redirection of the save files.

I used my Donkey Kong Country Returns save file to test this since I didn't have much progress saved there anyway. I performed the following steps:
#1 Export all saves through the Export All Saves to EmuNand feature.
#2 Remove the SD card which contains the exported EmuNand saves.
#3 Delete my Donkey Kong Country Returns save on the Wii U itself (vWii Menu -> Wii Options -> Save Data).
#4 Reinsert the SD card
#5 Start USB Loader GX
#6 Start Donkey Kong Country Returns

This sequence should ensure that there's no save present on my Wii U while there is an EmuNand savefile. When I started the game it did not read the save data that I expected it to read from EmuNand: all files were empty ('new game'). What's worse, I started a new game, I stopped the game, removed the SD card and checked the Wii U's save data and the Donkey Kong Country Returns save file was back there.

I don't get it, it feels like EmuNand just refuses to work for me and I don't understand what I coud have possibly done wrong here. The instructions were simple enough that I can't imagine myself being stupid enough to screw them up. Is there an unwritten rule that the EmuNand needs to be on the HDD if the games are played from HDD?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have you maybe tried making Emunand direction as sd:/nands/?

About loader issue, I had same issue and mine was solved by setting Loader IOS to 249 also.

I checked my Emunand saves and I don't know if mine is working or not since I set up my emunand only for some certain Japanese region locked Wiiware titles. But regular Wii backups are certainly saving to my Wii Nand.
I directed me EmuNand to sd:/nandsaves in my latest test. I'll try once again with sd:/nands/, but I'm not expecting better results here.

What are your EmuNand settings? I'd like to compare if you don't mind.

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Never heard of ustealth until you mentioned it, so, I'm not using it. I never tried playing a WiiWare game yet.

One change I made is setting my Loader's IOS back to 249. Apparantly I didn't need to set it all the way back to 58 for USB Loader GX to get beyond the "Stuck at initializing" message. Besides that, removed the sd:/nandsaves/ and sd:/nands/nand1/ folders from my SD card and set both Nand Emu Path and Nand Emu Channel Path to sd:/nands/ as per Nomado's suggestion.

Again removed my Donkey Kong Country Returns save file from the Wii U, played it to create a new save and checked what happened: a new save file was made on the Wii U again and in SD:/nands/title/00010000/ a folder was made for the game. Inside this folder is a content and data folder. The content folder contains a title.tmd file, but the data folder is empty. In other words, the save file wasn't written properly to EmuNand.

I then proceeded by copying the data folder's contents that I had exported before I started testing and after I started the game I didn't see the expected progress. In other words, the EmuNand save wasn't read.

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm going to reformat my HDD to FAT32 and use Wii Backup Manager (build 78; most recent build) to put all my backupped games on it. After that I'll set up an EmuNand on the HDD. It's grasping at straws, but I'm hoping that this will work if I have my games and EmuNand on the same medium. Will take some time, though. If anyone has any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with my EmuNand, then I'm all ears off course.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
see if you can boot into neek. you'll be back on the wii system menu. press I think 1 and 2 on the disc icon channel to bring up a menu. this is just to test if emunand even is working.

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I reformatted my HDD to FAT32 and used Wii Backup Manager to put my backups on it. Had to revert the Loader's IOS to 58 as USB Loader GX would otherwise be stuck at "Initialize HDD Device". My HDD now has a /wbfs folder that contains my Wii games, a /games folder for Gamecube games and a /nands folder for EmuNand.

My settings are now:
Nand Emu Path = usb1:/nands/
Nand Emu Channel Path = usb1:/nands/
Loader's IOS = IOS 58
Game's IOS = IOS 249
Nand Saves Emulation = Partial

I also did a Syscheck to check if my cIOS is recent enough. I got d2x cIOS v10.

Tried the same test using my Donkey Kong Country save and it's still not working.

Also tried booting Neek from the Features menu in USB Loader GX. Got the message "Neek NAND path selection failed".

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
By the way, are there any methods besides messing around with the save files themselves to test if cIOS EmuNand works? I don't got any Neek stuff set up and rather not get into that for the time being.

Can anyone confirm that my settings as reported in my previous post are correct?

Nynrah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Additional thing to note, enabling EmuNand channels (fourth icon in the top menu bar of USB Loader GX 2 doesn't change anything).

Aside from confirming if my settings (as mentioned in previous posts) are correct, are there any EmuNand-related differences when using a Wii U (vWii) instead of a normal Wii?

tmnr1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Additional thing to note, enabling EmuNand channels (fourth icon in the top menu bar of USB Loader GX 2 doesn't change anything).

Aside from confirming if my settings (as mentioned in previous posts) are correct, are there any EmuNand-related differences when using a Wii U (vWii) instead of a normal Wii?

No differences, I made an emunand with modmii a few years ago for my Wii and then I got it to work on my Wii U as well without any changes. I always set nand emulation to full, except for a few games that require partial to work properly. Also for some games like Castlevania Rebirth nand emulation must be set to neek or they won't work at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153