Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Marionumber1 ok. A great example for wiiu is the 360scene . Rgh have some point near wiiu hack... race attack on reset and rgh is reset glitch hack. ., xell and trinux.... like xbox1 original. The gpu is custom, no info about custom gpu (thats why xbox orig emu isnt born...) how to make a great wiiu linux distro without that info?

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marionumber1 ok. A great example for wiiu is the 360scene . Rgh have some point near wiiu hack... race attack on reset and rgh is reset glitch hack. ., xell and trinux.... like xbox1 original. The gpu is custom, no info about custom gpu (thats why xbox orig emu isnt born...) how to make a great wiiu linux distro without that info?

Trinux running under the CafeOS kernel exploit their working on would give us access to the Wii U's GPU as Marionumber1 has already stated. Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the Wii U's GPU is based off an already existing well known GPU for pc's. I can't remember the GPU off hand, but I remember reading this a while back. That being said, it gives homebrew in Wii U mode something to work with right off the bat :D. It would be a matter of "filling in the gaps" in terms of the differences between the Wii U specific GPU and the GPU its based off of. Its likely that the existing Wii U SDK library already contains everything that's needed to "fill in the blanks."

As for Trinux running in the altered vWii state, as MN1 already stated, the original Wii's GPU allows for 3D/graphics acceleration. That's how 3D is pulled off in existing Wii/vWii homebrew (ie WiiSX, Not64, Wii64 etc). Activating and utilizing the additional cores of the Espresso under Trinux, should allow us to nearly perfect N64/PSX emulation (no emulation is 100% perfect under any circumstances, anybody claiming such nonsense, has a lack of understanding of computer science :P) among other iffy consoles (Sega Saturn anyone!?). Sorry, I'm a huge Sega hardware fan (ducks to avoid being hit by tomatoes, yes I'm an oddball :P).

As for graphics/3D acceleration under Trinux/Wii Linux, I honestly don't know if its supported currently. It might need to be hardcoded into it. I've never experimented with it, due to the other hardware restrictions its currently under (1 CPU core at a whopping 729mhz trolololol) and we need a larger swap file (like virtual memory for windows, linux just has a different name for it :P) to compensate for the almost non-existent RAM the vWii/Wii has trolololol. Its honestly not worth experimenting with until we have true Tricore SMP and a massive swap file, as graphics acceleration would be severely bottlenecked in Trinux's current state...

Eventually, I'd love to see Trinux ported over to CafeOS (Wii U mode) under the kernel exploit, but I don't believe I have the skill set necessary to do that on my own. I don't know enough about the inner workings of the Wii U (in Wii U mode), but if anybody else with more knowledge is interested (once the kernel exploit is out), have at it :D. I'll help as much as I can :P.

Reactions: the_randomizer

2haloes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Trinux running under the CafeOS kernel exploit their working on would give us access to the Wii U's GPU as Marionumber1 has already stated. Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the Wii U's GPU is based off an already existing well known GPU for pc's. I can't remember the GPU off hand, but I remember reading this a while back. That being said, it gives homebrew in Wii U mode something to work with right off the bat :D. It would be a matter of "filling in the gaps" in terms of the differences between the Wii U specific GPU and the GPU its based off of. Its likely that the existing Wii U SDK library already contains everything that's needed to "fill in the blanks."

Sorry, I'm a huge Sega hardware fan (ducks to avoid being hit by tomatoes, yes I'm an oddball :P).

I thought that tomato would hit you :evil: , the Wii U's gpu is based off of the Radeon HD 5000 series (Funny, I just got one out of my PC) found that bit of info here http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-gpu/ To be honest the Radeon HD 5000 series is not a bad set of gpus so "unlocking" it would make this work really well

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that tomato would hit you :evil: , the Wii U's gpu is based off of the Radeon HD 5000 series (Funny, I just got one out of my PC) found that bit of info here http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-gpu/ To be honest the Radeon HD 5000 series is not a bad set of gpus so "unlocking" it would make this work really well
Thanks for that! Was getting ready for work earlier and didnt have a chance to look it up

Reactions: 2haloes

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gpu custom like the firts xbox not have great public info .. why xbox original not have a working emu? The cpu is the same of normal pc X86... but the gpu use custom code, is based on pc card but work in custom way

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gpu custom like the firts xbox not have great public info .. why xbox original not have a working emu? The cpu is the same of normal pc X86... but the gpu use custom code, is based on pc card but work in custom way
No, you go to AMD.com and download the driver for Wii U. Simple really. In theory we need to change an install systen check so that the install package thinks the Wii U is a PC. There is no Linux driver but the x86 version prior to 90.675 will work. I'll test out my theory later after I ask Crediar for the keys to let me run code since only the common key is needed and it will, theoretically, bypass the private signature check. I just need to bypass a circuit on the pcb but I'll test this out after work and feeding my dog...then I'll probably make myself pizza.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you go to AMD.com and download the driver for Wii U. Simple really. In theory we need to change an install systen check so that the install package thinks the Wii U is a PC. There is no Linux driver but the x86 version prior to 90.675 will work. I'll test out my theory later after I ask Crediar for the keys to let me run code since only the common key is needed and it will, theoretically, bypass the private signature check. I just need to bypass a circuit on the pcb but I'll test this out after work and feeding my dog...then I'll probably make myself pizza.
Roflcoptaz seems legit...

2haloes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly, Id have to agree with

Even if the specs of the Wii U gpu are shown, the code to make the gpu driver would require a lot a messing around with trial and error (I think, I'm not an expert on these things)

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I apologize for the terribleness of this video (I recorded it using free trial software). This was originally an 18 minute video and the software chopped it down to 5 minutes ><. Anyways, this is showing me streaming pc games to an original Wii under WiiUOS. WiiUOS currently is running on an original Wii only as my Wii U is currently out of commission until I replace my Power/Eject cable. When used in conjunction with the existing Trinux Launcher by Ninja_Carver it should run fine on a Wii U, just can't test it at the moment... I'm going to redo the video as soon as I get a chance. This jumps right in with no explanation whatsoever because the software cut it off. I'm just going to download windows movie maker onto this machine and use that the next time around so I don't have to deal with this again....

WiiUOS is ready for an alpha release, I just need to write up the tutorial for getting everything set up then it will be released :). Again the following video will be redone and keep in mind, the streaming done here is more of a proof of concept than anything else:

2haloes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice, I still want to play HL1 off of my Wii U :lol: and maybe it'll work with Wii hardware. A quick question, is booting WiiUOS from a flash drive possible yet? I have a brand new 32gb flash drive and nothing to use it for yet :yayu:

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, I still want to play HL1 off of my Wii U :lol: and maybe it'll work with Wii hardware. A quick question, is booting WiiUOS from a flash drive possible yet? I have a brand new 32gb flash drive and nothing to use it for yet :yayu:

Booting off a flash drive sadly isn't possible yet. That's going to require hex editing the linux kernel that's being used XD, no guarantee that will ever work (wouldn't even know where to start editing XD). USB mass storage devices are however supported for adding additional storage as I'm using an older linux kernel. The latest linux kernel for wii/gc, which is what the official release of Trinux uses, broke compatibility with usb mass storage devices. An unfortunate side effect of something that was changed in the latest version :(. WiiUOS is actually based off Easy Wii Linux by a guy who calls himself "linus" over at the wiibrew forums. He released this a few years ago. Its based off debian, as opposed to Ubuntu like the official trinux release is. Debian runs so much smoother with the limited resources trinux currently has access too. Ubuntu is just too bloated to use right now. When tri core SMP is implemented, I'm sure Ubuntu will run great, but for now, we need to be realistic :P.

I will let you know once the tutorial for WiiUOS is done and I'll send you the sd card image so you can host it :). Thanks man!

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess this is a good time to say that the server's nearly done and all I need to do is install Apache server (or something like that)

No worries, I can release it elsewhere if its ready before your server is but you can host it as an official mirror once you get your's doing. Either way, it doesn't matter :P

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TeamScriptKiddies what do u do for stream pc to wii? Wifi? Lan adapter? Internal lan or via Internet
My own local network and ethernet .

Im excited to hear todays news about the common key being leaked.... Stuffs about to get awesome in the scene <3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Atleast online