Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like Marcan said on twitter, regarding Linux and vWii (SMP support); nobody competent is working on this. Right now, nobody has done anything with SMP and any Linux on vWii will show 3 cores, be stuck with Wii memory limitations, and not be able to do anything useful with having 3 cores. The common key does nothing to help this Linux project out.

Ninja and others could handle anything except what is missing; certain drivers and SMP support. Unless driver issues were resolved.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be the first one to test it :D
Wii Linux has existed for years. The only benefit for Wii U is to have 3 cores and the cores "talking" together. Without the SMP part, which nobody here can make, all Linux on vWii can be is a polished and updated Wii Linux. May as well keep the Wii and call it WiiOS.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Linux has existed for years. The only benefit for Wii U is to have 3 cores and the cores "talking" together. Without the SMP part, which nobody here can make, all Linux on vWii can be is a polished and updated Wii Linux. May as well keep the Wii and call it WiiOS.

It may seem useless now, but once SMP is implemented things will be much better :). Also have you seen my (proof of concept) video of streaming pc games to the wii over this?

Reactions: the_randomizer

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may seem useless now, but once SMP is implemented things will be much better :). Also have you seen my (proof of concept) video of streaming pc games to the wii over this?
I don't care about streaming anything. When you have SMP working then your progress will matter. As Marcan said, nobody competent is working on this. While Ninja and to an extent, you, can work packages and administrative stuff that is nothing like BUILDING pieces. If you can't, and you obviously can't, get SMP working then move on in life. Wait until (if) anyone actually does provide the most integral parts.

Marcan nailed this in one of his posts: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Reactions: Deletedmember331810

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, with the common key leaked and the ability to look into system files, finding a kernel exploit should be easier. I'm already looking forward for Trinux on CaféOS!

While Ray may be partially right, he shouldn't be bringing it like that. If someone can't archieve something yet, they shouldn't move on but instead take the time to learn how in this case SMP can be made working.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, with the common key leaked and the ability to look into system files, finding a kernel exploit should be easier. I'm already looking forward for Trinux on CaféOS!

While Ray may be partially right, he shouldn't be bringing it like that. If someone can't archieve something yet, they shouldn't move on but instead take the time to learn how in this case SMP can be made working.
With the kernel exploit, trinux should be portable to it without needing the common key at all.

I was just stating that it was exciting to know that the key is "out in the wild" now, as it will likely lead to game modding in Wii U mode :D.

Ray Lewis sure SMP might not be working yet, but its not an easy task. The original wii and vWii were never designed with a 3 core cpu in mind. Its going to take a lot of effort to get SMP running in this altered vWii state. Just because, its not working yet, you think i should throw in the towel? Progress (in anything) cannot be made without some level of failure. Its just a simple fact. Im not going to just give up, because things arent going my way right now. Instead im going to keep at it. If somebody else steps in and pulls off SMP before me great! But i can't just assume thats going to happen. Therefore, i will do my best to pull it off :)

Reactions: 2haloes

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
With the kernel exploit, trinux should be portable to it without needing the common key at all.

I was just stating that it was exciting to know that the key is "out in the wild" now, as it will likely lead to game modding in Wii U mode :D.

Ray Lewis sure SMP might not be working yet, but its not an easy task. The original wii and vWii were never designed with a 3 core cpu in mind. Its going to take a lot of effort to get SMP running in this altered vWii state. Just because, its not working yet, you think i should throw in the towel? Progress (in anything) cannot be made without some level of failure. Its just a simple fact. Im not going to just give up, because things arent going my way right now. Instead im going to keep at it. If somebody else steps in and pulls off SMP before me great! But i can't just assume thats going to happen. Therefore, i will do my best to pull it off :)

I know, I meant that with the common key, you coud decode system (runtime?) files in order to look for the exploit itself, which also makes all of this alot more future proof

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not happening. We need a brain surgeon and not the enthusiastic high school kid who says he will perform the surgery after he learns how. Keep up the optimism, lol.
Im an engineering student, way beyond high school lol. If i was in high school that would just be creepy (im 27) :P

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im an engineering student, way beyond high school lol. If i was in high school that would just be creepy (im 27) :P
You can't, obviously, engineer SMP support. Too many have come along talking but they at least had the integrity to leave. I tell myself you have good intentions but there is a reason this stopped; nobody who is involved can deal with THE critical component; SMP. I think trying to recruit a person, a few people to do it would be ideal.

Also, many are looking at a kernel exploit (possibly beyond although I doubt an iosu exploit will be shared). From the Wii U side yiu already have use of Wii U hardware (unless I am wrong). Marcan, Comex, MN1, nwplayer and a few others, please correct me if I am misunderstanding. Sorrow was correct on another thread.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*facepalm* guys stay on topic please.. anyway, i think Ray Lewis falls under the category theoretical analysist.
If people want to believe in and follow somebody who gives theories but never produces results then have at that. He destroyed his Wii U and never really completes anything tangible. He is friendly enough though. Marcan and Comex matter, as does nwplayer1234, marionumber1, and maxternal although he has been quiet. A few others actually do what they say and don't talk about theoretical crap. It is not a theory; some people have not shown that they can do anything. Some posts are comical. Who cares about being ignored? What happened to crying about ninja "kicking you out"? So start your WiiUos thread and go on spouting nonsense. Anyone with a brain knows the names I listed above (there are others) are people to believe.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know this as well. TeamScriptKiddies
, what version does wiiuos use?
Its based off Easy Wii Linux (based on debian) kernel 2.086.

3.0 breaks usb mass storage devices so im using the older kernel for now.

Alright everyone, can we all act like civilized human beings from here on out? First of all, the whole pro-piracy/anti-piracy debate does not belong here on The Temp. If you want to argue your side on this issue, go find yourself a philosophy or political forum to do that, it just doesn't belong here.

Second of all, why is it that we all insist on having so much drama on here (I'm guilty too). The mods/admin gave us all an "ignore" button for a reason. If you don't like what somebody is posting we should be using that button instead of lashing out at each other (again, myself included).

We all need to be civilized, together we can make some amazing things happen on the Wii U, but divided, nothing will ever get done. In other words, be civil to one another or watch GBAtemp crumble into the dramatic abyss (pun intended). We are all better than this, now let's prove it....

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If people want to believe in and follow somebody who gives theories but never produces results then have at that. He destroyed his Wii U and never really completes anything tangible. He is friendly enough though. Marcan and Comex matter, as does nwplayer1234, marionumber1, and maxternal although he has been quiet. A few others actually do what they say and don't talk about theoretical crap. It is not a theory; some people have not shown that they can do anything. Some posts are comical. Who cares about being ignored? What happened to crying about ninja "kicking you out"? So start your WiiUos thread and go on spouting nonsense. Anyone with a brain knows the names I listed above (there are others) are people to believe.

Hello Ray, i want to add that i hope you don't take it the wrong way what i said earlier.

I like reading your take on things, and ofcource you are right on various subjects... and hopefully you inspire dev's and others to look at subjects another way.
So i think it is not a bad thing that you want to discuss stuff. Others seem to be put off, so i just tried to put it into perspective.
That was all what i meant to say.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A