[W 8.1/10] A way to give commentary on any file ?

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Heyah,

I'm looking for something quite special, but would help me a lot. I deal with a lot of saves files and pokemon files. Basic stuff for me. But in a HUGE quantity. Too much. So I wanted to set up a commentary to these files in order to know what i'm looking for and have a simple way to see if i've completed a game or if i need to finish etc etc.

First i've thought about making a .txt inside each folder with a list of all files. Not really helpful, and quite boring to keep updated.

After, I remembered that you can add commentary on some specific files (with the properties of each file) but it's really limited (If i'm right, it's only for Musics / Pictures in W8.1 and I think it's 100% gone from W10). BUT, when I still add "commentary" as a filter in the windows explorer... So i'm quite lost on this one.

I'd like to know if there's any specific thing to be able to add commentary to a file and being able to see it without any difficulty on the explorer. Like this :

http://puu.sh/xXGeP/8caacebb07.png ?

If it's not possible, i'm quite fine to see a tool for that or any tip like this.

Thanks !

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The best thing you can do is just make separate folders for each save, name each folder with a summary of what the save contains (255 characters is more than enough if you ask me:P) and add a .txt file inside with full details. You can't add commentary on regular folders and adding commentary on the save files themselves can result in them not being recognized by the game, making them useless... As for compressed files, depending on what program you are using I think you can add descriptions just fine while compressing them (WinRar allows it for example).

Last edited by ThoD,
Reactions: Rick Astley

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the folder is not something I can do now... I mean, for Pokemon files, i'm dealing with TOO MUCH (i'm not talking about 10 or 20 files, it's thousands files from researches, played games, copies of copies etc etc quite crazy) and things like that, that's why I need the maximum informations at the first look). Even it'd take me a HUGE amount of time to do everything, having something in explorer at the first look is really my best and only option :/ A folder for each thing would be a nightmare in some way to deal with. Moreover saves must be stored in one global folder if I use some of them.

After I don't think commentaries could make the saves unplayable ? I mean it's just something related to Windows nope ? I know basics things about computers but this is quite a strange subject so :/

And I don't have any compressed file so haha

But thanks for the fast answer o/

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
About the saves being unplayable, descriptions count as metadata, so it depends on how windows handles it and it's been different between versions, so I can't answer for win 8 and up (using 7). However, if windows saves the description on the file itself, it will change it's size and even 1 byte of difference will make saves unreadable. Just test it out and see if it works... As for the thing I said about compressed files, I said that in case you don't mind compressing each save separately to add a description to it.

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I see how it works, but I can't really try since it's my main question on how to add commentary haha. I guess i'm facing something too special but that could be so awesome arg... Sad. There's no file manager tool handling that properly otherwise ?

Thanks o/

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well I see how it works, but I can't really try since it's my main question on how to add commentary haha. I guess i'm facing something too special but that could be so awesome arg... Sad. There's no file manager tool handling that properly otherwise ?

Thanks o/
Not that I know of, so your best bet is to either compress with winrar so you can add descriptions or to do the folder+.txt file thing...

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Could you not include an excel spreadsheet in the folder with two columns; one for "filename" and one for "file description"?

Rick Astley

The real one !
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well .zip / .txt can't be used the way I want sadly, but thanks for the help once again, really appreciate it o/

Could you not include an excel spreadsheet in the folder with two columns; one for "filename" and one for "file description"?

Huuuuuuuuuuuum, so i've two problems with that method :
1) Could it auto-load the files presents in a folder (and its sub-folders)
2) If so can it be done with Libreoffice or something free like this (can't afford excel)

If so, it'd be interesting yes.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well .zip / .txt can't be used the way I want sadly, but thanks for the help once again, really appreciate it o/

Huuuuuuuuuuuum, so i've two problems with that method :
1) Could it auto-load the files presents in a folder (and its sub-folders)
2) If so can it be done with Libreoffice or something free like this (can't afford excel)

If so, it'd be interesting yes.
Thinking about it that way, I don't know if LibreOffice can, but I'm fairly sure OpenOffice allows you to make offline links to folders or URLs like the Microsoft Excel can... Just test it out, I can't help here though since I never use Excel...

Reactions: Rick Astley

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That's interesting now. I've thought LibreOffice the same things already, but let's see with OOo o/
Libre Office is more centered on the main text editor and not as much on the peripheral programs, while Open Office has given quite a bit of focus on those without letting up on the text editor, reason it's larger in size, as it has more code and more capabilities, even if not by much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-yuzu-emulator-github-piracy-zelda-1851452740