Hardware Waiting for second version of 3DS?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 13,182
  • Replies 110

Are you going to buy the launch 3DS or wait for the second version?

• Launch 3DS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Later Version

• Not going to get it at all

• Total voters

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
trans am said:
I still have to get a DSi first or the XL, 3DS can wait and I hate the current design, the hinge is truly hideous.
How so? Looks smooth and uniform to me.
Ditto.

It looks nice for a handheld and is really quite thin.

al5911

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Later version is always better ...correct me if I'm wrong. Waiting for second/third ...fourth version
tongue.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
al5911 said:
Later version is always better ...correct me if I'm wrong. Waiting for second/third ...fourth version
tongue.gif

I think that the GameBoy Advance SP was far superior to the GameBoy micro.

I also preferred the DS Phat to both the DS lite and the DSi.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
http://t3chh3lp.com/storage/post-images/ga...N=1277171945251
Yeah, I see your point. but I disagree. It looks kinda stylish to me. Not everything has to be round.

True, but it's fair to say I'm one of those that don't like the designer(s) vision in this piece, so I agree with the "truly hideous" line
wink.gif

Silver paint, ugly hinges, ugly edges in general, square-ish, thin and ugly 3D slider coated in silver paint, gloss surfaces (though someone told me the gloss is going in the final unit?)

Believe it or not I cannot bring a unit like this into my possession
smile.gif

Well, I can...under some very strict circumstances: the 3DS Second Edition sucking more.

It will sell well, though.
The technology seems mostly sound and I'm sure they'll have some exciting games on release. I just don't appreciate the design at all.

trans am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
foob said:
Midna said:
trans am said:
I still have to get a DSi first or the XL, 3DS can wait and I hate the current design, the hinge is truly hideous.
How so? Looks smooth and uniform to me.
http://e3.nintendo.com/images/ctr/hardware/blue.jpg
Look at the harsh edges on the hinge. Quite apparent compared to DS Lite / DSi which is far more perfectly rounded.

Pretty much that, the hard lines just make me go
wacko.gif
It looks like a sandwich inside a wallet when closed, tech is good but the design is made ugly on purpose.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Just decided that I'm going to get the second version of the 3DS.
The first version isn't that appealing to me. I'll wait the two/three years.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Aesthetics deciding purchases. I am confused.

Especially given earlier revisions are far more prone to exploits.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Midna said:
No, no, no.
I'm actually quite pleased with the aesthetics with the exception of some minor quirks. It's the overall device that it isn't appealing to me. I might change my mind, though. I'm somewhat undecided. I'll wait for the 3DS to be released in Japan first and look at videos on how it is. I'll decide then.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, i could see a second version adding 3 or 4g. But I don't really know how neccesary that really even is, I mean there are wireless access ports everywhere where I live (Minneapolis), playing my dsi games online has never really been an issue.

Aesthetically though, I do not see the complaints at all, I think it looks really kickass and stylized. A few squared corners alone, wont be enough on its own to merit a second version, so another model would have to offer more, like 3 or 4g, and I dunno, theres nothing more I'm really looking for in this system, it has everything I could want. It would be cool if it had skype for video chatting, but I don't see why thats not a possibility with the current version. In fact since Pokemon black/white can do it on the DSi, it would be really stupid not to have a skype app for the 3ds.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:

There is nothing to be confused about. The whole phone market, for instance, banks on aesthetics and image to reach its target demographics. It means something to a lot of people, much like people don't like ugly things in their home (furnishings, etc), they have their own taste when it comes to electronic devices too. Lots of phones, for instance, are the same things in a different shell.

Not saying aesthetics is priority Number 1 for all people, but it does mean something; people are attracted to nice-looking things more than others and it does influence purchasing decisions quite a bit. Of course there are those that think the looks of the 3DS are fine, and I won't argue with their taste.

Exploits are something I think not even 0.01% of the buyers think about when deciding on a new games unit, which I would rank as far less common than "good looks" in influence of swaying people one way or the other.

Basically the priorities of some readers here are very different with the general market; not that there's anything wrong with that, necessarily. But I think more average people regard how the device looks as far more important than exploits.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
Just decided that I'm going to get the second version of the 3DS.
The first version isn't that appealing to me. I'll wait the two/three years.
What if the revision has the same unappealing designs, in a slightly different package? Will you wait forever?

I know what it feels like to see a better model come out, when you can't justify the upgrade, but I also know what it feels like to wish I was enjoying the experience that others are raving about. If you can wait 3 years for the 3DS, you must not be that excited about it, otherwise you'd jump on buying one, and not worry about the inevitable upgrades that will come.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter