funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is absolutely disrespectful when a new member posts on this community and instead of getting welcomed they are bombarded with smart aleck responses to their very simple question. If 9.3+ can't be hacked for example, it takes the same amount of time to type. "Unfortunately,there is no release date on when the hack will be available."As opposed to writing "You fucking moron why don't you read the stickies you fucking idiot" This is completely unprofessional and shys people away from posting on this forum which in turn slows down the website traffic and ends up costing the website owner money.

You are NOT a special cookie because you read the tutorials and someone else didn't, You are NOT an expert hacker so please quit acting with the elitist attitude that you yourself developed the exploit. We need enforcement of these guidelines to assure that we have a welcoming and friendly community. Those are just my two cents.

Last edited by funnystory,

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The problem is that we are looking at opposite ends of the spectrum, and at the extreme ones at that. I have no problem with someone asking questions as long as they show that they have at least done research. Those who put in ZERO effort deserve to get called out. Putting "I m nuubz pls halp kthxbai" does not make me want to coddle you. Ever. I have now learned to ignore those I feel do not deserve to be helped.

Now, note that I said "called out". What has really annoyed me the past few years is how we are getting more and more shit-tier comments. Half the replies now are people jumping in to meme like their lives depended on it. It's as if I am reading reddit comments/Twitch chat/Youtube comments/4chan. I don't require people to write their theses every time they post. All I am asking for is for the post to contribute to the discussion. Tongue-in-cheek comments are welcome if you aren't the 56846583rd person to repeat it. Come on. This was particularly bad when we were hit by the spam flood. There will always be at least 3 dimwits who consistently bump the spam threads. But I shall stop there as I am going off on a tangent.

Now on the subject of verbal abuse. There are times when the response is harsher than it needs to be. I will not deny that. Having said that, there are also times when the OPs are sensitive beyond belief. People have to learn to toughen up a little. Back when I first started going to forums, I made mistakes. I got called out. But I learned from it. Pick yourself up and move on. Crying about it will NOT solve the problem.

tl;dr Think before you post. This is not reddit/Twitch/Youtube/4chan. Do some research. Learn from mistakes AND DO NOT REPEAT IT. Call someone out if you have to but only if it will help them learn. Spewing out memes achieves nothing.

/rant

PS @funnystory: Since we have a multiquote function, you can quote all the relevant bits and answer them all in one single post. Please refrain from multiposting. Thanks.

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If somebody did something with their property that was stupid I might criticize it regardless of whether or not it's my "responsibility."
It depends on the situation.
That's due to your inferiority complex because in reality it has absolutely nothing to do with you, so why do you care? If I want to give away free nintendo 3ds why do you care what I do with MY money? Why do you feel like you have the right to criticize what I do with my money, and why do you think anyone cares?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't want to be rude, but isn't giving an answer to a question that is asked also rude? (Yes, it is)
So We all are being rude to postsers we didn't answer to if they asked a question or posted something stupid they felt they wanted to share with all of us

So Yes i'm guilty of being rude, because i didn't answer on a given question (You can start arguing that the question wasn't meant for you or for the persons who do know an answer, but since no names are given in a question, the question is for EVERYBODY) You all where rude to the people who asked a question and you didn't reach out and answered, So where you Guilty of being rude @funnystory ? Think carefully before answering!

Last edited by DjoeN,

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for the sake of mentioning it... Neogaf (while different at the core) is also a Video Game Discussion forum, and they're pretty brutal about anything offensive to another member (Within reasonable judgement, obviously someone over emotional or over sensitive isn't the case) with I believe, Permabans.

And honestly I feel (personally) they have one of the nicest/most relaxed VG-Discussion forum out there.

There's also the fact that you need a paid e-mail to register but I'll just ignore that. :B

But yeah, I'm not saying we should look to Neogaf levels of unforgiving, but I believe the loose knot on the issue needs to be tightened.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't want to be rude, but isn't giving an answer to a question that is asked also rude? (Yes, it is)
So We all are being rude to postsers we didn't answer to if they asked a question or posted something stupid they felt they wanted to share with all of us

So Yes i'm guilty of being rude, because i didn't answer on a given question (You can start arguing that the question wasn't meant for you or for the persons who do know an answer, but since no names are given in a question, the question is for EVERYBODY) You all where rude to the people who asked a question and you didn't reach out and answered, So where you Guilty of being rude @funnystory ? Think carefully before answering!
... That's a bit silly. Sure it might be rude, but it's not calling someone an idiot or anything like that. There's a difference between spoken rudeness and unspoken rudeness. One is against TOS at certain levels.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting discussion. I suppose both that I do not care what it thrown my way (it is just internet and can not hurt me) and that I have not really delved into the 3ds section (it is a bad console reaching the end of its life, with no games, no games means very few ROM hacks, hacks in general are annoying and fiddly early stage stuff without any direction, and there is no homebrew or homebrew potential as there are far superior and easier to code for devices of similar form factor) means I tend to be unaware of a lot of it. I would have liked the 3ds to work for me, much like I would have liked the Wii to work for me but hey, maybe the next thing will do it or I can continue to focus on the old with stuff left to do. I will join the others in pointing out the wii saw not entirely dissimilar things happen, though as the section was largely walled off and referred to as a wasteland...

Some might be exceptionally thin skinned and in the unlikely event I have a change of heart the forum being filled with clutter would not be ideal. I am not particularly seeing the need to send out the berserkers with the banhammers though.

If you want something to do then continue to report and move on, or even better answer the OP in a nice manner like the others in the thread might not have. Assuming I have the time then the latter is what I usually go in for.

Reactions: Minox

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My go to is to link to the tutorial or sticky that deals with what they're asking about, then asking them to please look for stickies first. search function after that. I suppose most new people feel that they're coming into a well-established place they know nothing about, and rather than overcome that orientation barrier, they just do what they know they can handle; ask a direct question. They figure why not let other people do the work for them that know the forum well enough to do so. A bit of lazy mixed with a bit of uncomfy. This is my assumption to make me not annoyed.

To be fair, sometimes the stickies aren't the clearest in the world. Though those terribly misleading post piss me off.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Margen67 and Minox

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I read around half the posts on this thread so apologies if my response is kinda irrelevant

tbh its not that hard to avoid being a dickhead

yes there are loads of noobs, no you don't need to go bat**** every time you see one, just point them in the right direction [/thread]

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I read around half the posts on this thread so apologies if my response is kinda irrelevant

tbh its not that hard to avoid being a dickhead

yes there are loads of noobs, no you don't need to go bat**** every time you see one, just point them in the right direction [/thread]
I honestly agree with you. It doesn't make sense for people to put people down over people asking questions about gaming-related topics. I am pretty sure no one would have the guts to say things like this in real life.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
In my opinion, the searchbar is there for a reason. Google is there for a reason, sticky threads are there for a reason. Already existing threads are there for a reason.
If you don't find the information you need, then you start a new thread and hope for some replies to help you.

What is happening these days is that some people are tired of the massive amount of noobs (to not say idiots) who cannot even try to search and that their very first post is a misleading thread OP.

I can understand that some people are pissed to either get misleaded, or reply to a question already asked a thread under like 5 minutes ago.

Also, I noticed that this kind of behaviour only happen in the 3ds section. Is it related to people's age, or their stupidity, I don't know.

Look elsewhere in the forum, most people are nice, friendly, and try to jelp the most they could. Why? because they are never bombarded by stupid questions that were answered already in previous threads of the same section, or are from a very long time.

Just saying that, this situation is not abused. It's just that people gets pissed over the time.

D

Deleted User

I've been following this thread for a while now. Ever since I caused rage in the 3DS Section (cias on 9.9, lol :P), I have learnt to actually do research and keep my trap shut for the majority of the time. For some stupid reason, people like the newcomers just think it's funny to continue shitposting; and it angers me so much! Surely, the newcomers read the rules before they even began to post on the site; but unfortunately, 95% of them don't/didn't. Looking at it from my perspective, there's a hell of a lot of dead-wood to be clearing up. It's been rather cluttered up in the past year or so, and it's thanks to the people who are just plain dumb and don't have the common sense to use the search bar!
That included me, but that was: 1. contained all in one thread. and 2. I learnt from that.

Last edited by ,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem here is that "rude" is entirely subjective. I'm definitely a smart "aleck," and while some people may view my posts as condescending, that is definitely not my intention (until it is, when dealing with repeat offenders). Often times I'll make a joke and then follow it up with actual advice/answers.

Also, OP: in this thread alone you've called people immature, insecure, lazy, petty, jocks (which is funny seeing as how often you reference body building forums), and elitist and anyone who disagrees with you either has an inferiority or superiority complex. Couldn't you see how some people would consider that rude?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The problem here is that "rude" is entirely subjective. I'm definitely a smart "aleck," and while some people may view my posts as condescending, that is definitely not my intention (until it is, when dealing with repeat offenders). Often times I'll make a joke and then follow it up with actual advice/answers.

Also, OP: in this thread alone you've called people immature, insecure, lazy, petty, jocks (which is funny seeing as how often you reference body building forums), and elitist and anyone who disagrees with you either has an inferiority or superiority complex. Couldn't you see how some people would consider that rude?
so true, i think he should be banned for being offensive to margen67 :tpi:, imho his posts are more passive aggressive than 90% of what you see on here ironic really

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's due to your inferiority complex because in reality it has absolutely nothing to do with you, so why do you care? If I want to give away free nintendo 3ds why do you care what I do with MY money? Why do you feel like you have the right to criticize what I do with my money, and why do you think anyone cares?
The posts swearing at newbs have nothing to do with you, so why do you care?
I care because (future) mistakes can be stopped. Misunderstandings can be corrected. Even if it is in a harsh tone deep down we (hopefully) want to help them to prevent that from happening (again).
I wouldn't want anybody to brick their 3DS or other console. (Nor should anyone else.)

I don't automatically think people care about my posts. I post even if it's unlikely to get attention. I don't post for attention. I post to voice my opinion.
If I posted purely for approval I wouldn't post nearly as much.

I feel like I have the right to because I can. What other reason do I need?
While it's not my "responsibility" to make this post (same with you) I still am. Why? It doesn't matter. I don't need your approval.

BlueOnClues

GBAtemp's Burgerpants
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Because they're too lazy to read the stickies and by association waste people's time with useless posts.

Posting isn't something you can do on accident.
It's not about elitism, or a superiority complex. A (hypothetical) noob was lazy and people are calling him out for it. End of story.
Also, the internet isn't a hugbox. People aren't always going to say positive things.

True Its Not Like You Been Nice Your Whole Life . This Post Is The Most Useless Post Ever I Swear . Thousands Even Millions Of Peoples Have Something Negative To Say Over Others . The Only Way To Cure This Is To Ignore The Guy And Move On . Its Not By Warning Rude Members Or Ban Them That It Will Help . There Allways Going To Come Back Even Worst . You Give What You Get .

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
there are far superior and easier to code for devices of similar form factor

This is why I feel the scene is so toxic. People who are really desperate to have homebrew on their 3DS clearly do not have access to such other devices. Either that or they just want to pirate the small number of 3DS exclusive games. Both of these categories mainly concern children, people less than 12 years old, since they are most likely to be in that situation. And when a child does something wrong, you don't curse at them. You tell them what to do next time. Of course I'm not suggesting that we treat everyone like little children, but I'm trying to provide a little insight as to the source of the problem. Children are more likely to err than adults, and they're more likely to not read the stickies and such.

So regardless of whether or not these people are young, it's just rude to yell at someone for stuff like that. Does it really hurt you that they posted their dumb thread? If you're worried about them wasting your time, then don't waste time cursing at them. It's common sense, people. Everyone screws up once, but once they're told what's right they most likely won't continue in the future. If they do continue then let the mods deal with it. They are here for a reason.

All that said, I don't think people should let it affect them personally when they're made fun of in the internet, where all 2 seconds of what you see of someone is all you know about that person, but we can't do much to change that as people seem to be set on it.

Reactions: funnystory

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Finally, not all noobs that post without reading first get lambasted. If they're polite and acknowledge their noobness they get helpful replies. It's the ones that just post one-liners who come across as arrogant and get whipped.
I honestly think this is one of the better points I've seen in this thread. It all comes down to how you "present" your question. If one isn't going to read the stickies and do the research, they should at the very least come across as presentable. There are people on this forum that are more inclined to help others if the OP explains their situation with some genuine effort, and more importantly, thanks the respective members who are taking the time to help you out.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I honestly think this is one of the better points I've seen in this thread. It all comes down to how you "present" your question. If one isn't going to read the stickies and do the research, they should at the very least come across as presentable. There are people on this forum that are more inclined to help others if the OP explains their situation with some genuine effort, and more importantly, thanks the respective members who are taking the time to help you out.
thats totally it, if you act like a arrogant p***k in your first post you can pretty much guarantee people will act exactly the same way back, exactly the same issue arose in this thread, you treat people with a lack of respect and they will do the same back at you, by all means the noobiest of noobs have received plenty of help, the most important factor is that they don't come across all demanding I'm sure if you went through every thread that has descended into chaos you will see its mostly always down to the OP being disrespectful to the people he is asking for help/advice, so as much as the OP of this thread wants people replying to be respectful, the most important thing is for the people posting to be respectful, none of us get paid to post here and help people out, not reading the stickies before making a post just so happens to be the telltale sign someone has little/no respect for the content/help being provided by the community for them

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If somebody did something with their property that was stupid I might criticize it regardless of whether or not it's my "responsibility."
It depends on the situation.

Your patronizing attitude would get you into conflicts. I know you wouldn't be as valiant in the real world,if someone sawed their finger off would you make fun of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ