H8TR

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
How do you make websites so that no matter how large the web browser window may be, the background adapts to it. An example is Wiikey.cn. No matter how small or large your window is, the content of the page is always centered and the background always adapts to your windows size. I prefer to work in Dreamweaver CS3 but will try anything else you suggest. Is it CSS or some next type of HTML?

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, if you examined the source code, you could know, but i believe that the background is a one that repeats infinitely to the right, and the text bit is probably placed in a centered div

edit:to do this, type in
CODE Junk here
iirc

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The best thing to do is take a look at exisiting examples so you can get your head around it
smile.gif

Using Wiikey.cn's source we can see that theres nothing relating to the back ground in HTML but we can see that they have a CSS file (or three).
CODE

Quick visit to http://www.wiikey.cn/css/layout.css and we can take a peak at their CSS.

Code:
body
{
ÂÂÂÂfont-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
ÂÂÂÂfont-size:13px;
ÂÂÂÂcolor: #464646;
ÂÂÂÂbackground-image:url(../images/background_main.png);
ÂÂÂÂmargin: 0px;
}

#top {
ÂÂÂÂbackground-image:url(../images/background_top.png); 
ÂÂÂÂbackground-repeat: repeat-x; 
ÂÂÂÂwidth:100%; 
ÂÂÂÂheight:132px
}

From that we can see the technique they've used.... the whole of the background is the blue part, which is just a repeating pattern that by default is tiled...

background_main.png

Then they have the orange part repeated over the X axis only
smile.gif

background_top.png

There are lots of techniques for creating similar effects too.
For the centre they just have a Div that is centered and everything else is contained within that =)

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In dreamweaver click the main table and then right click, align, center

Booo - bad advice.

lecture.gif
Don't use tables for layout - use DIVs!

Tables are for tabular data - not layout. Using tables for layout results in non-standards compliance.

Learn CSS, use CSS & DIVs for layout.

Tables for layout is so 1995
wacko.gif

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I was also wondering that question.

I've got an HTML class coming up soon that could probably answer my questions and help me learn more about creating web sites...

I figure if I start now (at the age of 14), I could be so much better when I'm older and maybe have a career in Web Design.

Well...I'm gonna stop babbling - I know you don't care
biggrin.gif

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, I was also wondering that question.

I've got an HTML class coming up soon that could probably answer my questions and help me learn more about creating web sites...

I figure if I start now (at the age of 14), I could be so much better when I'm older and maybe have a career in Web Design.

Well...I'm gonna stop babbling - I know you don't care
biggrin.gif

lol, i'm 13 now and i learnt html/css on ...neopets(lol)
i know alot of it pretty well

Switchy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Meh, I studied Webdesign but I'm not getting anywhere in the professional world!
Here, they always have something specific you should know, which I happen to not know. *grumbles* Besides, there always seems to be a bigger nerd out there than me
tongue.gif

Anyways, you can get this with frames as well.
Three columns:
size="*" / size="whatever floats your boat" / size="*"

The size="*" is used to change according to the room that is left.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Switchy did you know that frames are technically illegal in most countries if your website is offering a public service? They break quite a few disability laws because of their incompatibility with special browsers and text to speech programs.

Seriously move away from tables and frames for layouts. HTML with CSS is what you need.
You have to separate content and design as much as possible.

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switchy did you know that frames are technically illegal in most countries if your website is offering a public service? They break quite a few disability laws because of their incompatibility with special browsers and text to speech programs.

Seriously move away from tables and frames for layouts. HTML with CSS is what you need.

wait, bad coding is illegal?
wtf.gif

anyway, divs are the best way to keep stuff organised

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Frames aren't illegal as they don't break any laws, same with flash. It is just a set of highly recommended suggestions, its unfair to those people.

IMO frames and flash are crap anyway, any use of flash should be keep to a minimum and always backed up with a text based alternative.

Tables are really good IMO, providing you use them right, my site is done using tables because CSS has a few major flaws when it comes to placement.
First it wouldn't work in IE, then it would ONLY work in IE
blink.gif

Switchy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I did not know about it being "illegal" but tables are much better for people who just want to make a site for themselves, or to start.

It's the easiest way for a beginner imo.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Besides, there always seems to be a bigger nerd out there than me
tongue.gif

QFT. That is actually an excellent lesson to learn in the professional world. It's best to bring something else to the table besides technical knowledge. The ability to learn is much more important that what you already know.
[/Boring PSA]

XeroRestraintTables for layout is so 1995
wacko.gif
laugh.gif
Now you're just making me feel old.

OT: learn how to do it in more than one way
wink.gif

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Psst as I said, because of disability laws in a lot of countries, anything that counts as a public service has to be accessible by everyone... including those with disabilities. Just like a person who can not walk may use a wheelchair and needs stair free access to buildings, a person who can not see may use a special web browser with text to speech. Just because a website is virtual doesn't mean it isn't under the same laws, in fact that is a segment of most disability laws directly relating to websites and virtual content. Frames are not compatible with any existing disability browsers and hence not providing some form of other access that is compatible for that public service, is illegal.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Right, but those laws wouldn't really apply to any kind of personal website (and I would doubt there's much enforcement of it on public service websites).

For the same reason that I don't need wheelchair access to the front door of my home, I could use frames & tables on my own website if I wanted to. I'm not saying it would be considered good practice anymore, but it wouldn't be illegal either.

BTW, I just re-read your qualifying statement "...if your website is offering a public service", and I guess that would be the key condition. But what would qualify your website as "offering a public service", and who would decide that? Seems like a rather gray area to try to enforce a law.

Just to examine the flip side, why isn't it against the law to provide special browsers or text to speech programs that can't handle frames? Isn't that also limiting the access of the disabled to a large amount of existing web content? Sounds silly I know, but why is the onus placed on the website designer and not the software provider?

I would end this post with some type of smiley, but I wouldn't want to get arrested.

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Psst as I said, because of disability laws in a lot of countries, anything that counts as a public service has to be accessible by everyone... including those with disabilities. Just like a person who can not walk may use a wheelchair and needs stair free access to buildings, a person who can not see may use a special web browser with text to speech. Just because a website is virtual doesn't mean it isn't under the same laws, in fact that is a segment of most disability laws directly relating to websites and virtual content. Frames are not compatible with any existing disability browsers and hence not providing some form of other access that is compatible for that public service, is illegal.

You are absolutely correct. Here in the Us we have the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) which also provides the same accessibility mandates. Add tables used for layout to the list of HTML gadgets that are not compliant with screen readers. Regardless of how you eyes may interpret the logical order of content in table cells, screen readers cannot. This also presents problems for mobile web browsers' ability to resize content effectively like cell phones, pdas, nds, psp.

Plus, tables are inflexible, load slower, and do not print well. Since the introduction of CSS it has become clear that the proper way to construct a web page is by marking up your structural content in html and your layout/presentation markup in css.

Granted using tables is an easy quick workaround to make something look the way you want but understand that it is an amateur kludge.

QUOTE said:
Tables are really good IMO, providing you use them right, my site is done using tables because CSS has a few major flaws when it comes to placement.
First it wouldn't work in IE, then it would ONLY work in IE
blink.gif

The only example of where tables have an advantage over proper css layout is for vertical alignment. Granted there are CSS workarounds but standards compliance is all about eliminating hacks so I concede the point here. I suspect other "flaws" you refer to are just instances of not fully understanding the rules of css.

QUOTE said:
I dont like DIV's they screw op my designs
wink.gif

I like to setup my webdesigns with tabels.
Its easy and good
smile.gif

Easy =/= good
Until you face the reality that css, and divs are both the present and future of web design, don't count on a career as a web designer. Pro's don't take the easy way out, especially when it is inferior.

QUOTEXeroRestraint

wacko.gif

laugh.gif
Not sure what you meant by that since tables were officially added to HTML spec 3.20 in early 1996. Perhaps this should have made you feel young?

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just to examine the flip side, why isn't it against the law to provide special browsers or text to speech programs that can't handle frames? Isn't that also limiting the access of the disabled to a large amount of existing web content? Sounds silly I know, but why is the onus placed on the website designer and not the software provider?

It's not that screen readers can't "handle" frames or tables, it's that then structural markup (HTML) cannot tell them what order to "read" them other then left to right, top to bottom. This is not a problem for tabular data that is meant to be read that way but when tables are used for HTML layout they typically employ empty cells, spacer images, and an out-of-logical order data flow. Further, frames do not declare a logical order in their markup, nor is one implied at all.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
XeroRestraint

wacko.gif

laugh.gif
Not sure what you meant by that since tables were officially added to HTML spec 3.20 in early 1996. Perhaps this should have made you feel young?

blink.gif
Not following you. The fact that my first websites were coded by hand and relied heavily on the use of tables for layout purposes (circa '95 - '96 or so), and that it is now over 10 years later, makes me feel old. Seeing "tables for layout" and the year "1995" makes me feel old. It also helps to illustrate how antiquated the technique is by now.

You are absolutely correct. Here in the Us we have the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) which also provides the same accessibility mandates. Add tables used for layout to the list of HTML gadgets that are not compliant with screen readers. Regardless of how you eyes may interpret the logical order of content in table cells, screen readers cannot. This also presents problems for mobile web browsers' ability to resize content effectively like cell phones, pdas, nds, psp.

AFAIK, in the US, the ADA laws only apply to government services. The federal and some state governments have to abide by the Section 508 laws and there are workarounds for most of it (ie making the info available through TTY or automated phone systems). There are no "laws" governing the coding techniques of the general populous. General guidelines, yes (as it should be).

Just to examine the flip side, why isn't it against the law to provide special browsers or text to speech programs that can't handle frames? Isn't that also limiting the access of the disabled to a large amount of existing web content? Sounds silly I know, but why is the onus placed on the website designer and not the software provider?

It's not that screen readers can't "handle" frames or tables, it's that then structural markup (HTML) cannot tell them what order to "read" them other then left to right, top to bottom. This is not a problem for tabular data that is meant to be read that way but when tables are used for HTML layout they typically employ empty cells, spacer images, and an out-of-logical order data flow. Further, frames do not declare a logical order in their markup, nor is one implied at all.

I get that, I just think it can also be viewed as a fundamental technical limitation of the interpreting software. A true reader would have a way to communicate the design of the page as rendered, not as coded.

Look, I agree totally with you. CSS is the way to go, and no one in their right mind should be using frames in their web design. I just think it's interesting to discuss whether poor design decisions should be against the law.

grog.gif
Cheers for providing some good info and helping me waste some time at work (which, thank god, is not web design)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Temp is back back again
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    why were servers down?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because it was telling a friend
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, telling what?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Maintenance most likely.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, understandable
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hopefully it wasn't a DDoS attack.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i was already believing that was the reason it was down
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, The response from the page said it had too many connections. So perhaps, flooded traffic?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, it didnt say that for me
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, It only shows that if you do 'View Source', right below that it'll tell you the SQL response query. I feel like a nerd lol.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But for everyone, it said unexpected database error.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just said database error for me
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she said it only said "too many connections" when you view the source
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw gonna try to actually beat touhou 6
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Have fun.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i recall playing some hard undertale fangames way before playing touhou, like the genocide asgore fangame or the mettaton neo 2.0 one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    so atleast im already kinda used to bullet hell games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and yea i played both undertale and deltarune too although those are a piece of cake compared to any touhou game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aaaaaaannnnnnd i already lost all my continues
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only set three default lives btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz of score
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i think i first should focus more on beating the game rather than obtaining a high score
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night