What are the Causes of Blue Screen Errors? How To Resolve this Error?

straxjulia544

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that Blue screens are caused by problems with your computer’s hardware or issues with its hardware driver software. I read an article from different websites but did not get any proper solution, I just don't understand the resolutions. Can someone explain me in an easy way?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Simply sayed, if you get a blue screen there is information displayed to identify the process or device that caused this error. Then based on this you can get more detailed information what caused this error and how to run a possible check and to solve it.

E.G sometimes reinstalling a driver might help, in other case a RAM memory check need to be run to verify its not faulty thats maybe finally need to be replaced.
Here is a overview of some information displayed and solutions. This site is german, some browser support translating a website or use google translate.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that Blue screens are caused by problems with your computer’s hardware or issues with its hardware driver software. I read an article from different websites but did not get any proper solution, I just don't understand the resolutions. Can someone explain me in an easy way?

Usually caused by poorly written driver files, or malfunctioning hardware

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
In the past I’ve used three methods:
1) Looking at the error displayed on the BSOD seeing if it’s obvious (e.g. specific driver mentioned)
2) (relatively complex) running the crash dump made during the BSOD through the debugger windbg with the MS ‘symbols’, but in the past it made it easier to diagnose certain errors the BSOD on it’s own couldn’t e.g. mentioning a driver.
3) Going through other troubleshooting options e.g. ram test/memtest, software/driver updates, checking/replacing cable connections, unplugging hardware, etc.

I’d link to a guide for windbg, but I haven’t found an ‘easy’ one since some mention an older method where you install the Windows SDK, which isn’t really necessary now as it’s on the Windows store.

Is the BSOD repeatedly happening or is it a ‘one off‘ fluke’?

Last edited by tech3475,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
An alternative debugger is BlueScreenView. Drag the minidump into the app and it’ll highlight in red the causes of the crash. Ntoskrnl.exe will always be flagged, as that’s the blue screen itself, but if any other drivers are flagged, google what that driver is and uninstall/reinstall it. If no other drivers are flagged, it’s usually a memory error.

Not the most in-depth analysis, but as a test that takes seconds, it’s been a useful tool in my job.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies