Hacking What do people prefer: custom firmwares or flashcarts?

Do you prefer custom firmware or flashcarts?

• Total voters

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering what people think on the subject. What do people prefer: custom firmwares or flashcarts?

I personally prefer a flashcart because it doesn't involve any hard work on my end. Sure I need to pay money, but I like plug-and-play. In middle school I was big on the piracy but now-a-days I just like buying the games because I can switch them around. Some people find this inconvenient but I like the feeling.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW (persistant CFW even more so) since it opens the system up for many more users for free (or somewhat cheap depending on what is needed to install it).

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I would gladly get rid of Gateway if someone spent the time and effort into making an emuNAND with cracked digital signatures and ROM loading that needs no Gateway and loads the ROMs off SD card. Since it's already possible to use 128GB+ FAT32 cards in the SD slot, I hardly see the relevance of a GW card in my system. Not using one would give me more freedom.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
depends really, pretty much what thorasgar said "whatever works best", i know the majority of people will probably say CFW, but i like the support flashcards bring, some consoles like the psp had great cfw support for most of its lifetime.......but in a slow scene like the 3DS scene, give me a flashcard anyday i would rather have reliable consistent support , even if it is only as long as they are getting sales

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want something with at least some basic emuNAND capability. Piracy doesn't appeal a whole lot to me, although some of the .cia stuff that's been coming out interests me.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW, as it is capable opening the door to more than just homebrew. It can allow for improvements to the firmware beyond the official updates and the removal of software restrictions. We just have to wait for it to get to that point.

Reactions: Margen67

Anorhc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hqdefault.jpg

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW in its current state will not be favored atm, it development isnt as quick or steady but its progress. Just have to wait.

satanicangel

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
We already have a CFW, so those that vote for it can go and download it.
Cannot run on your version? Bugs? Need more functions?
These are the disadvantages of having a CFW, no one will be motivated to fix it(and release it at least).

The only disadvantages of having flashcarts are they are not free, and with GW I can say at least they provide constant support until now.

I can understand why people do not want to pay, but then I will stick to paying a little to save all the hassle and *ENJOY*. I am not against CFW, I truly hope 1 day a perfect CFW will be released, with constant support provided, but I don't think it will in the near future.

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Flashcarts for me, here are the main reasons :

-First, I'm a noob, and it's easy to brick your console with a custom firmware.

-Second, when you buy a flashcart, you still have a support service.

-Third, when people pay for a service, the work you pay for is most of time well done. I mean nowadays nothing is really free.

-Fourth, a custom firmware needs more time to be developed and released, so it could take several months or even several years. The people, who usually work in the underground and do this as a hobby, have a work or maybe are students so they don't have as much time as hackers, flashcarts developers or manufacturers who do that for passion and money. A flashcart makes the hack easier and quicker.

:)

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Who wouldn't prefer a proper custom firmware? But it's not always possible.
The PSP homebrew community thrived because of custom firmwares. I'm always hoping something like that will happen again for some portable that has a lot of horsepower.
I was hoping that the PSP's homebrew tradition would carry on to the Vita. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. The Vita is some really wasted potential for homebrew, with its power, its incredible OLED screen, its dual analog sticks, we could have had some of the best portable emulators on there. Who knows. Maybe someday when Sony has totally abandoned the Vita (which is pretty abandoned already), a kernel exploit might be found.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Bad dragon +1