Hacking Question What functionality will I lose by going from SXOS to Atmosphere (if any) ?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So, I currently have switch using sxos and emunand. Sysnand is on 4.x and emunand is 10.x

I think XCI arent supported by Atmosphere. I dont use them. Any other things that arent supported by Atmosphere?

My main concerns are emunand and being able to continue to boot with SXOS dongle.

Last edited by Chrushev,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main things you won't have with Atmosphere are XCI loading (you can still install XCI files as if they were NSP files) and the ability to load XCI files off a USB storage device (you can install NSP/XCI files over a USB connection to your computer, of course).

Atmosphere can do pretty much everything else and more.

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main things you won't have with Atmosphere are XCI loading (you can still install XCI files as if they were NSP files) and the ability to load XCI files off a USB storage device (you can install NSP/XCI files over a USB connection to your computer, of course).

I should pay closer attention, but one thing I've often seen regarding Atmosphere is a mention of "sigpatches." Particularly when folks seem to have various issues. e.g., the phrase "have you updated your sigpatches?" as a common response I think I've seen.

Is that a common refrain, or much ado about nothing?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I should pay closer attention, but one thing I've often seen regarding Atmosphere is a mention of "sigpatches." Particularly when folks seem to have various issues. e.g., the phrase "have you updated your sigpatches?" as a common response I think I've seen.

Is that a common refrain, or much ado about nothing?

Can someone ELI5 sigpatches? What are they and why doesnt SXOS need them?

Reactions: sorabora

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Can someone ELI5 sigpatches? What are they and why doesnt SXOS need them?

SX OS have that patches applied, Atmosphere is against piracy and then they don''t support it. That patches are necesary to remove the signature check and allow us to install applications don't allowed by nintendo (pirated games or homebrews) by default.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks to mrdude. Creating Signature patches have turned trivial. They are updated more or less the same day.

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thanks to mrdude. Creating Signature patches have turned trivial. They are updated more or less the same day.

Im a few pages deep into Tutorial section, but cant seem to find a tutorial to do this SXOS to Atmosphere transition. Specifically from SXOS emunand to Atmosphere Emunand. And to make SXOS dongle work to boot it.

Also, how do I learn about updating/creating sigpatches?

Last edited by Chrushev,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Im a few pages deep into Tutorial section, but cant seem to find a tutorial to do this SXOS to Atmosphere transition. Specifically from SXOS emunand to Atmosphere Emunand. And to make SXOS dongle work to boot it.

Also, how do I learn about updating/creating sigpatches?
I never used SX OS so I can't helpo you with that part.

But for sigpatches there is a thread about creating them yourself for the version of Atmosphere and HOS you are using:
Info on SHA-256 hashes on FS patches | GBAtemp.net - The Independent Video Game Community

Or you can download premade sigpatches from one of these places:
https://github.com/ITotalJustice/patches/releases
https://github.com/eXhumer/patches/releases/

Reactions: lordelan

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's your current SX OS setup?
Do you use it on sysNAND or emuNAND?
If emuNAND -> partition based or file based?
In most cases, "transition" is no issue at all.
If you're using emuNAND there might be one or two small things you need to do. Apart from that you just boot into Atmosphère and you're fine.

As for the dongle (you mean the SX Pro on an unpatched unit and not the modships like SX Core / SX Lite I guess?), that's pretty easy too:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/convert-any-payload-to-tx-boot-dat.518932/
You just need a PC with python + SX OS boot.dat + a payload you want (like hekate).
Place hekate on your SD and rename it to payload.bin or hekate.bin, then edit the python script to point to payload.bin or hekate.bin (doesn't really matter) and run it. Place the altered boot.dat on your SD and use the SX Pro dongle. Done.
If you update hekate, just place the updated hekate payload on your SD and rename it to payload.bin or hekate.bin and that's it.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pretty sure Tinfoil has added support for installing from a hard drive as well, in Atmosphere.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I currently have switch using sxos and emunand. Sysnand is on 4.x and emunand is 10.x

I think XCI arent supported by Atmosphere. I dont use them. Any other things that arent supported by Atmosphere?

My main concerns are emunand and being able to continue to boot with SXOS dongle.
.XCI files are supported with Atmosphere; they just have to be installed like .NSP files. The only other feature is potentially the HDD support however many homebrew applications support that whereas the only unique application SX OS has left is the ability to mount .XCI files. Every other application of HDD support can be accomplished with Atmosphere such as installing from an HDD.

Reactions: sorabora

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpxvzFnWCu0