What games you shouldn't waste money on.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Yellow is kind of an exception here since they added a few new things :D Did you buy Yellow first ?

Of course I did - talking Pikachu that follows you around and native colour palettes FTW, it was the ultimate version in my eyes at the time. :yay:

I had yellow, but I traded it for gold... worst mistake of my life. The game isn't bad what so ever, I just had that game so long that I was attach to it for life lol.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Of course I did - talking Pikachu that follows you around and native colour palettes FTW, it was the ultimate version in my eyes at the time. :yay:
Yeah, and if you were watching the anime, having Pikachu as a starter was awesome :D I remember when it got out, my mother didn't want to buy it cause "I already had one" :D Anyway, enough nostalgia. Yeah maybe in this case (starting with the third version) buying more than one version is normal. And you're totally right, the apparition of online features (and breeding) completely changed the multiplayer system. I still remember when I bought my first Link Cable :D I felt like I was the king of the school since only 3 or 4 kinds had one :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I had yellow, but I traded it for gold... worst mistake of my life. The game isn't bad what so ever, I just had that game so long that I was attach to it for life lol.
I swear to god, my Pokemon Yellow cart must be driven exclusively by Pikachu's electric powers. I clocked so many hours in this game that the clock stopped at 255:59, it's been laying in my games cabinet ever since it was first released and the battery still holds the save file. It's a miracle of modern science, I've never replaced the battery in this thing and it's been 15 years now.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear to god, my Pokemon Yellow cart must be driven exclusively by Pikachu's electric powers. I clocked so many hours in this game that the clock stopped at 255:59, it's been laying in my games cabinet ever since it was first released and the battery still holds the save file. It's a miracle of modern science, I've never replaced the battery in this thing and it's been 15 years now.
It doesn't have an RTC to keep draining the battery like the Gen2 and 3 cartridges. Gen4 and on used the DS's internal clock instead.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It doesn't have an RTC to keep draining the battery like the Gen2 and 3 cartridges. Gen4 and on used the DS's internal clock instead.
RTC aside, the RAM still needs constant power supply to keep the save alive and well. 15 years of non-stop service while the save was being overwritten over and over again for 255+ hours is unprecedented - that battery could power a space station when it was new, it's not even funny at this point.

Reactions: Ritsuki

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Amazing story I tell ya lol. When I was 7 There was a huge party on my street, and I had pokemon yellow. Now the question still remains today is why the heck did I leave it on the sidewalk, and that was my only game that I had since it was my first handheld portable console. I had Machamp at the time, and when I say that my favorite pokemon... IT WAS MY FAVORITE POKEMON!. I was so heartbroken when I lost it lol.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

:lol:

i2rdy1.png

Mistakenly i've found it to be a german Pokémon Yellow cart. :P It works nice on the US Pokémon Stadium 2 cart. (pretty accurate nintendo to do this)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
:lol: Mistakenly i've found it to be a german Pokémon Yellow cart. :P It works nice on the US Pokémon Stadium 2 cart. (pretty accurate nintendo to do this)
Game Boy games have no region locks so this is hardly a problem. Most releases are divided into "Japan" and "Rest of the World" with the occasional Multi-5 in the mix. :P

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Game Boy games have no region locks so this is hardly a problem. Most releases are divided into "Japan" and "Rest of the World" with the occasional Multi-5 in the mix. :P

And ya should know that! The N64 GB emu (save and gamecode) part support was intentionally added. Because there's a weird transfer screen for GB pokémon games that are not from the US/EUR, on the Pokémon Stadium 2 US. It does not happen with US/EUR GB games

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There we go then - we have Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV and now Ultra Street Fighter IV in the form of a full retail game or Super Street Fighter IV DLC. Here's a thought - just release Street Fighter V, what's the problem with doing that? Capcom's been doing this for ages, it's really annoying. :rofl2:

...because that's the way fighting games works. Just look at Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and Persona Ultimate/Ultimax, for an example. They just use the same engine to proceed with the story. The same old way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...because that's the way fighting games works. Just look at Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and Persona Ultimate/Ultimax, for an example. They just use the same engine to proceed with the story. The same old way.
Just look at Soul Calibur, Tekken, Mortal Kombat or Dead or Alive and you'll see that this is not a general rule. :)

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just look at Soul Calibur, Tekken, Mortal Kombat or Dead or Alive and you'll see that this is not a general rule. :)

...if you remember MK, Ultimate and Trilogy will make you think twice. Soul Calibur isn't the same case, but with the latest, I'd rather an upgraded 4th game...basically Broken Destiny. Tekken already did the same with Dark Resurrection.
...but seriously now. The important thing about the new iterations is to re-balance the game, keeping it fresh for all competitive players. It's not like CoD, for an example, which is an annual game. There are changes, new characters, new story. And if you have the latest game, you can upgrade for a cheaper price. I really don't see any problem with that...
...but of course, there's a diference between competitive players and casual fighting players. I spend part of my time watching videos about the re-balancing of the characters for an example, comparing frames and all that stuff, which for many people is just bullshit. It's just a matter of taste.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No. Street Fighter IV is just Street Fighter IV, if you want to do some balancing, release a bloody patch. MK got out of the bad habit of releasing the same game over and over, the new Soul Calibur is a F2P so obviously low effort and Dark Resurrection was an enhanced port - Capcom has no excuse for doing this over and over, it's a cheap cash grab and you know it.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
...That's a bit of a stretch. I quite enjoyed playing Uncharted 2/3 and The Last of Us. The Last of Us in particular has some neat mechanics and is really challenging. It feels like a real survival game. And Uncharted 2 in particular had some really nice level designs. It kinda switched up the idea of a third person shooter being "squat and shoot" by forcing you to run-and-gun at times. Like enemies will try to flush you out or a lot of points of cover would have a vulnerability that could end with you getting flanked so you had to be moving around a lot.

The first Uncharted is boring, it's just squat-and-shoot except the enemies throw a billion grenades at you. However 2 and 3 are pretty well designed (I'd say 2 in particular) and The Last of Us is a nice change of pace.
Guess I'll have to try 2 and 3 then. I did play about half of TLOU's singleplayer mode but again the big distinction between "exploring" and "locked gameplay rooms" felt so restricting and systematical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto