Hacking "What is a legit cia?" (and other noob CIA questions ANSWERED)

RikuKawai

Femboy Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
thisis.moe
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for answering! I have a gateway and I would be doing this for a friend with an O3ds on 9.2 (I have an 03ds 4.5 and 9.7 emunand). I just wanted to make sure that all I have to do is use the browser exploit on her 3ds (it doesn't have emunand), install the legit cias with BBM and then they should show up in sysnand? Is that right?

cheers,

rr

I don't think you can launch Pasta CFW with Spider (browser exploit) yet.
None of the CIAs I installed would launch without Pasta CFW running, and the payload needs to be redeployed at every reboot.
It'd probably be easier to just get a copy of Cubic Ninja, they've been going down in price lately.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Looking for a bit of advice here if anyone can help me out. A friend has asked me to install some legit cia files on her 9.2 3ds. If I install a game that needs an update (like SSB for example) does that mean she has to update her firmware to get access to the eshop for the game update or am I able to install cia updates that will work on sysnand? I have a gateway card but she doesn't.

Really appreciate any help!

rr

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for a bit of advice here if anyone can help me out. A friend has asked me to install some legit cia files on her 9.2 3ds. If I install a game that needs an update (like SSB for example) does that mean she has to update her firmware to get access to the eshop for the game update or am I able to install cia updates that will work on sysnand? I have a gateway card but she doesn't.

Really appreciate any help!

rr
In order to get a legit CIA of the update that will install on her system, you could use the Gateway or Pasta or something to create an emuNand, update that or spoof the firmware, access the eShop that way, then extract the personal CIA to install into sysNand. As long as they're still linked, the signature should match and be valid, and will run in sysNand without any hack.

I'm not an expert on the process, so I might be missing something, though. But I believe that should work fine.

Reactions: RitchieRitchie

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's an older 3DS, use the code.bin method to trick Nintendo into thinking it's a 9.7 9.8 3DS to access eShop. Then just download whatever updates you require.

If it's an N3DS, use NTR 2.0 to do the same thing. Spoof firmware and enter eShop/Theme Shop.

You need to reapply the spoof every time you restart the 3DS (including opening settings app, and playing SSB/MH4 on an O3DS). This works on sysnand.

Edit: damn, a new update for the 3DS. Code.bin spoof still works, I just used it a moment ago.

Hey peps, im looking for a legit cia version of Super Smash Bros (usa)

thnk in advanced.
Well, good luck. There are no US "legit" Smash Bros. CIAs as the game was not preinstalled on any North American 3DS models. There was one for Europe and probably Japan.

Last edited by Hashtastrophe,

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
In order to get a legit CIA of the update that will install on her system, you could use the Gateway or Pasta or something to create an emuNand, update that or spoof the firmware, access the eShop that way, then extract the personal CIA to install into sysNand. As long as they're still linked, the signature should match and be valid, and will run in sysNand without any hack.

I'm not an expert on the process, so I might be missing something, though. But I believe that should work fine.
thanks for the help. I was secretly hoping that I could just update the game via the home menu (without going on the eshop which would require a firmware update) but I take it that is a bad idea?

I have put most of the legit cias on her sysnand (only SSB and POKEMON SAPPHIRE want me to connect to the net to update) so here's another question - if I make an emunand for her will these games show up on it (if i copy all her files before creating the emunand and then put them back)?

Thanks for all your help, appreciated!

rr

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the help. I was secretly hoping that I could just update the game via the home menu (without going on the eshop which would require a firmware update) but I take it that is a bad idea?

I have put most of the legit cias on her sysnand (only SSB and POKEMON SAPPHIRE want me to connect to the net to update) so here's another question - if I make an emunand for her will these games show up on it (if i copy all her files before creating the emunand and then put them back)?

Thanks for all your help, appreciated!

rr
Trying to update via the home menu just launches the eShop, which will then prompt you to update before continuing.

If you create the emuNand after the games are installed, then then emuNand's title.db and other internal files will contain information on them, so they'll show up. Anything installed after the creation of the emuNand will only show up on the nand that it was installed on, though I believe if you attempt to install it on the other nand, they'll both use the same data location, meaning you only have one copy of the files that both nands will use (rather than having it take up twice the space). But if she doesn't have a Gateway herself, or another method of launching the emuNand, it won't do much good. You could still extract personal CIAs for the updates from the emuNand, and then install them to sysNand. That's the only way I know of to get the games updated and have them useable without hacks and without updating the System Version. I haven't looked into spoofing the firmware, so if there's a way to boot sysNand with a version spoof, access the eShop, and grab the updates that way, that'd probably be a lot easier.

Nintendo also just released System Version 9.8 tonight, which only partially works on the Old 3DS on emuNand. (According to https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-firmware-update-9-8-0-25.389986/ , the select button to choose a game doesn't work, as well as the region free hack, but you should still be able to access the eShop with it, as well as play installed CIAs that match your region. So it's still useable for a throwaway emuNand if all you're doing is getting the updates.) New 3DS won't support it, since it's still limited to 9.5 for the time being.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Trying to update via the home menu just launches the eShop, which will then prompt you to update before continuing.

If you create the emuNand after the games are installed, then then emuNand's title.db and other internal files will contain information on them, so they'll show up. Anything installed after the creation of the emuNand will only show up on the nand that it was installed on, though I believe if you attempt to install it on the other nand, they'll both use the same data location, meaning you only have one copy of the files that both nands will use (rather than having it take up twice the space). But if she doesn't have a Gateway herself, or another method of launching the emuNand, it won't do much good. You could still extract personal CIAs for the updates from the emuNand, and then install them to sysNand. That's the only way I know of to get the games updated and have them useable without hacks and without updating the System Version. I haven't looked into spoofing the firmware, so if there's a way to boot sysNand with a version spoof, access the eShop, and grab the updates that way, that'd probably be a lot easier.

Nintendo also just released System Version 9.8 tonight, which only partially works on the Old 3DS on emuNand. (According to https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-firmware-update-9-8-0-25.389986/ , the select button to choose a game doesn't work, as well as the region free hack, but you should still be able to access the eShop with it, as well as play installed CIAs that match your region. So it's still useable for a throwaway emuNand if all you're doing is getting the updates.) New 3DS won't support it, since it's still limited to 9.5 for the time being.

Ah, I see! She's happy to basically leave her 3ds on (or in sleep mode) all the time so once I set up emunand with the games then she wants then it's not a big deal if she hasn't got a gateway card - and if it ever switches off I can use my gateway card to get it back to emunand.

So, just to clarify, at the moment she has the legit cia files on her sysnand, if I make an emunand (and copy everything from her sd card over) the games will show up and I can either a) install cia updates found in other sites or b) wait for gateway to update so i can go onto the eshp and download them - is that correct?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out Typhin, respect due!

rr

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, I see! She's happy to basically leave her 3ds on (or in sleep mode) all the time so once I set up emunand with the games then she wants then it's not a big deal if she hasn't got a gateway card - and if it ever switches off I can use my gateway card to get it back to emunand.

So, just to clarify, at the moment she has the legit cia files on her sysnand, if I make an emunand (and copy everything from her sd card over) the games will show up and I can either a) install cia updates found in other sites or b) wait for gateway to update so i can go onto the eshp and download them - is that correct?

rr
Why not use the methods I mentioned in my post? You can then just open eShop and download anything you need. No gateway needed. If her 3DS is not a New 3DS all you need is the web browser to spoof FW version. Otherwise CubicNinja is needed to launch NTR2.

Seems much easier than messing with emuNANDs, moving things between SD cards, installing game update CIAs, etc.

Here's the thread for spoofing the FW version. http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-s...eshop-and-more-on-new-3ds-and-old-3ds.386591/

Edit: Should mention that clearing cookies and history in web browser should help if you have problems using the code.bin spoof on O3DS. And apply it before opening the eShop/Theme Shop. If you don't, you need to shut off the 3DS and start it up again to get it to "forget" the in-shop update nag.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Why not use the methods I mentioned in my post? You can then just open eShop and download anything you need. No gateway needed. If her 3DS is not a New 3DS all you need is the web browser to spoof FW version. Otherwise CubicNinja is needed to launch NTR2.

Seems much easier than messing with emuNANDs, moving things between SD cards, installing game update CIAs, etc.

Here's the thread for spoofing the FW version. http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-s...eshop-and-more-on-new-3ds-and-old-3ds.386591/
Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it! To be honest i've never used this before and (sort of) know my way around gateway/emunand but will give it a go.

cheers,

rr

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it! To be honest i've never used this before and (sort of) know my way around gateway/emunand but will give it a go.

cheers,

rr
Yeah, it might be a little strange to understand at first but once you know how to use it it takes just a moment to set up.
On O3DS you literally just scan a QR code and wait a moment. Then open the eShop (after the 3DS says to restart because it had an error. You can ignore the popup, it's a normal occurrence). Or, if you don't want to keep scanning the QR, go to the site needed to inject the code.bin and hit HOME before it loads fully. Now the browser will remember the site and try to start it every time you open the web browser. Then you can perform the spoof in one tap.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, it might be a little strange to understand at first but once you know how to use it it takes just a moment to set up.
On O3DS you literally just scan a QR code and wait a moment. Then open the eShop (after the 3DS says to restart because it had an error. You can ignore the popup, it's a normal occurrence). Or, if you don't want to keep scanning the QR, go to the site needed to inject the code.bin and hit HOME before it loads fully. Now the browser will remember the site and try to start it every time you open the web browser. Then you can perform the spoof in one tap.
So just to confirm,

I put the code.bin file on the root of my sd card.
Turn off wireless
-launch browser
-clear cookies and history
-Go to loadcode.projectpokemon.org
-It'll throw a "Wireless is off" error. Close the error message and wait for the page to finish not loading. Then turn the wireless back on and refresh.
Then access eshop and it will let me update (even though I'll still be on 9.2)

Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
  • Put the code.bin file on the root of SD card.
  • launch browser
  • clear cookies and history
  • Go to loadcode.projectpokemon.org
  • Optional: Quit browser before page loads. This will set it as sort of a home page until you manually go to another site.
  • Wait for bar on top screen to go away. "Failed to load part of this page" is the one I'm referring to.
  • Exit browser, tap OK for the "An error has occurred." popup
  • Enter eShop.
  • ????
  • Profit
If eShop still nags about an update, restart the 3DS and try to load code.bin again. Might take a few tries. You can leave wireless on (I do) but people say that having it off, loading the browser and turn it on helps.

Bonus Tip: If the system has the update nag and you are pretty much never online you can remove it. Power down 3DS. Hold L + R + D-Pad Up + A and power it on. Hold all but power until you see the System Update app. Hit OK to "connect and update", then Decline to install.* System will power off. You're done. If you go online again it will redownload eventually, usually while in sleep mode.

*I'm also told that just hitting Cancel on the first page deletes it too. So try that first and don't go online. If it's still there, try the decline option.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
  • Put the code.bin file on the root of SD card.
  • launch browser
  • clear cookies and history
  • Go to loadcode.projectpokemon.org
  • Optional: Quit browser before page loads. This will set it as sort of a home page until you manually go to another site.
  • Wait for bar on top screen to go away. "Failed to load part of this page" is the one I'm referring to.
  • Exit browser, tap OK for the "An error has occurred." popup
  • Enter eShop.
  • ????
  • Profit
If eShop still nags about an update, restart the 3DS and try to load code.bin again. Might take a few tries. You can leave wireless on (I do) but people say that having it off, loading the browser and turn it on helps.

Bonus Tip: If the system has the update nag and you are pretty much never online you can remove it. Power down 3DS. Hold L + R + D-Pad Up + A and power it on. Hold all but power until you see the System Update app. Hit OK to "connect and update", then Decline to install.* System will power off. You're done. If you go online again it will redownload eventually, usually while in sleep mode.

*I'm also told that just hitting Cancel on the first page deletes it too. So try that first and don't go online. If it's still there, try the decline option.
Thanks a lot - it took a couple of attempts but worked like a charm! Everything updated and ready to go for my niece!

Cheers mate, cyber pint on me!!

rr

Reactions: Typhin

cjm5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it safe to install different-region game update CIAs? For instance, I have an NTSC copy of Smash Bros., but a PAL 3DS. I can't download the update (and therefore can't play the game even) because it wants to grab the PAL update from the eShop, and they're obviously not compatible. But I would think I could just install the NTSC update to my SD card via CIA?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

rr
I'm glad to help out, and glad you found a better solution. If you still want to mess with emuNand for some reason (such as installing non-legit CIAs), then you still can. When you make the emuNand, it'll be an exact copy of her current system's setup. One problem is that CIAs installed to emuNand will confuse sysNand, leading to problems such as the "unwrap bug" (where every time emuNand boots, it'll have you unwrap everything as if it's a new install) and having installed CIAs get deleted by visiting Data Management in sysNand. You can solve this by "unlinking" the two, but this has drawbacks of its own. The two will no longer have the same ID, so a personal CIA extracted from emuNand will no longer work on sysNand, and the two will no longer share any files (such as legit CIAs). I can go into more detail if you like.

Is it safe to install different-region game update CIAs? For instance, I have an NTSC copy of Smash Bros., but a PAL 3DS. I can't download the update (and therefore can't play the game even) because it wants to grab the PAL update from the eShop, and they're obviously not compatible. But I would think I could just install the NTSC update to my SD card via CIA?
I would strongly recommend installing the update that matches the region of the game itself. There could be small changes to the code that would lead to a different region's update causing problems. (If the two regions' versions have different Title IDs, a EUR update wouldn't be visible to an NTSC game. But if the Title IDs match, a EUR update might patch the wrong file or contain content the game doesn't expect, causing the NTSC game to crash.) You are perfectly fine to install an update that doesn't match your system's region, just as you were perfectly fine installing a game that doesn't match your system's region.

cjm5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would strongly recommend installing the update that matches the region of the game itself.
Yes that's what I was planning, I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't screw up my sysnand to install a say NTSC update on a PAL system, thank you for the help

Last edited by cjm5,

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes that's what I was planning, I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't screw up my sysnand to install a say NTSC update on a PAL system, thank you for the help!
As long as you're not installing a system file, it's safe to install CIAs to sysNand. Games and updates are installed to the SD card, not internal memory. However, non-legit CIAs installed to sysNand can be deleted by the system, and will fail to run if the signature checks are not disabled. A non-legit update would probably cause the associated game to be unplayable, I haven't tested it. I would recommend using emuNand as much as possible, especially since you can update the System Version of it past what you have to stay on for sysNand.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my legit CIA doesn't show up in rxTools emuNAND...
What can I do?
I have this in mind...

Backup SD Card
Format SD Card to delete emuNAND partition.
Put the backup back on the SD Card.
Install legit CIA.
Format EmuNAND using Gateway Launcher.
Inject your 4.5 NAND into the emuNAND (I'm on 4.5) (I remember you need to do that with emuNAND tool, extract and inject)
Put rxTools back on the SD Card
Boot into rxTools emuNAND.
Update emuNAND to 9.8.

Is that correct to show them up in emuNAND aswell now?
If not, what do I need to do then?

Last edited by thekarter104,

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
If it's an older 3DS, use the code.bin method to trick Nintendo into thinking it's a 9.7 9.8 3DS to access eShop. Then just download whatever updates you require.

If it's an N3DS, use NTR 2.0 to do the same thing. Spoof firmware and enter eShop/Theme Shop.

You need to reapply the spoof every time you restart the 3DS (including opening settings app, and playing SSB/MH4 on an O3DS). This works on sysnand.

Edit: damn, a new update for the 3DS. Code.bin spoof still works, I just used it a moment ago.

Well, good luck. There are no US "legit" Smash Bros. CIAs as the game was not preinstalled on any North American 3DS models. There was one for Europe and probably Japan.

having the same problem here too
So, my legit CIA doesn't show up in rxTools emuNAND...
What can I do?
I have this in mind...

Backup SD Card
Format SD Card to delete emuNAND partition.
Put the backup back on the SD Card.
Install legit CIA.
Format EmuNAND using Gateway Launcher.
Inject your 4.5 NAND into the emuNAND (I'm on 4.5) (I remember you need to do that with emuNAND tool, extract and inject)
Put rxTools back on the SD Card
Boot into rxTools emuNAND.
Update emuNAND to 9.8.

Is that correct to show them up in emuNAND aswell now?
If not, what do I need to do then?

Last edited by Domino101,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: k