Hacking "What is a legit cia?" (and other noob CIA questions ANSWERED)

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where exactly do legit .CIA that are universal come from? I imagine these are preinstalled games that come with the console, I.E. the Pokémon X+Y consoles.

Now that I am moving from homebrew to .cia, I was curious about that.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This has probably been asked, but I've been looking for days. Can anyone confirm:

Can I create my own personal legit .cia files from some random .cia I find on the internet?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where exactly do legit .CIA that are universal come from? I imagine these are preinstalled games that come with the console, I.E. the Pokémon X+Y consoles.

Now that I am moving from homebrew to .cia, I was curious about that.
That's exactly where they come from. Preinstalled games have a signature that doesn't tie them to a specific console/account, since they're installed on multiple systems, so they can be installed on any system and be seen as legit.

This has probably been asked, but I've been looking for days. Can anyone confirm:

Can I create my own personal legit .cia files from some random .cia I find on the internet?
No. In order to create a personal legit .cia file, the content has to be signed using Nintendo's private keys.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
That's exactly where they come from. Preinstalled games have a signature that doesn't tie them to a specific console/account, since they're installed on multiple systems, so they can be installed on any system and be seen as legit.
If this is the case, once installed are legit .cia's re-downloadable from the eshop, or is nintendo's installation process different to ours?

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this is the case, once installed are legit .cia's re-downloadable from the eshop, or is nintendo's installation process different to ours?
When you use a program like FBI or BRM (and BBM/DevMenu) to install CIAs, they do so by telling the 3DS to perform the installation. This is also how the eShop installs titles. Basically, we are using Nintendo's installation process.

And if you had an NNID linked to the system when you installed the "legit" games, you cannot re-download them from the eShop once they are removed from the device*. You can re-download them if they were installed before linking an NNID as this would essentially be the same as buying a new bundle 3DS. Only, you know, with games that didn't actually come with your system. When you enter the eShop for the first time the preinstalled games are associated with your account. (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys)

*Got bored and actually tested this out a few times. Shows as "Downloaded" while installed, and "Tap to Purchase" after removed. I'm not going through the trouble of unlinking/relinking my NNID to test the other part of my explanation. lol

Last edited by Hashtastrophe, , Reason: Added some quotes, McGoats. Also changed like, a word, dude.
Reactions: EmceeKerser

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Is it possible to get my old DS flash cart working again on 9.2? I have Cubic Ninja, and the flash cart worked around 4.x (can't remember the specific version).
wrong thread, but probably not, if it never worked on 3ds/dsi it won't work on 3ds (with the simple fix that we can do)

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
wrong thread, but probably not, if it never worked on 3ds/dsi it won't work on 3ds (with the simple fix that we can do)
Sorry, I saw "noob questions", but not the "cia" in between. It's 3:30AM here. Could you direct me to the proper thread?

It did work on the 3DS, but I updated the 3DS before a patch was released.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When you use a program like FBI or BRM (and BBM/DevMenu) to install CIAs, they do so by telling the 3DS to perform the installation. This is also how the eShop installs titles. Basically, we are using Nintendo's installation process.

And if you had an NNID linked to the system when you installed the "legit" games, you cannot re-download them from the eShop once they are removed from the device*. You can re-download them if they were installed before linking an NNID as this would essentially be the same as buying a new bundle 3DS. Only, you know, with games that didn't actually come with your system. When you enter the eShop for the first time the preinstalled games are associated with your account. (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys)

*Got bored and actually tested this out a few times. Shows as "Downloaded" while installed, and "Tap to Purchase" after removed. I'm not going through the trouble of unlinking/relinking my NNID to test the other part of my explanation. lol

So basically you are saying that it is possible to get free game on an account and system transfer all those game to other 3ds that does not have any modification?

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As far as I am aware. You'd have to install them all without having an NNID linked. So on a brand new 3DS, or one that was system transferred to a new 3DS.

I haven't tested it out (I actually own a "special" 3DS) but it seems to make sense. Only reason that would not work is if Nintendo never actually links the preinstalled games to your account and uses the SN or something to determine if you can redownload. Nintendo is known for doing weird shit so I wouldn't put it past them. (Eg. Your 3DS came with Mario Kart 7 and you have all the games installed. You delete MK7 and can download it again because SN is for the MK7 bundle system. You delete Fire Emblem and are unable to download it again because SN isn't for a FE bundle system)

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
If you get a cia which is not legit (say, for example, eshop only rom), does that have any headers or does every cia not have headers?

andrew weeks

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone

is there any program to check if a cia file has any problem, something similar to abgx360 ? i mean, given that Pasta cwf works on sysnand, the games should be clean

qwerblim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How do I go about updates with my .cia games? One of my games has four updates available (V1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4), so can I install straight 1.4? Or each one separately?

vipernig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

As far as I am aware. You'd have to install them all without having an NNID linked. So on a brand new 3DS, or one that was system transferred to a new 3DS.

I haven't tested it out (I actually own a "special" 3DS) but it seems to make sense. Only reason that would not work is if Nintendo never actually links the preinstalled games to your account and uses the SN or something to determine if you can redownload. Nintendo is known for doing weird shit so I wouldn't put it past them. (Eg. Your 3DS came with Mario Kart 7 and you have all the games installed. You delete MK7 and can download it again because SN is for the MK7 bundle system. You delete Fire Emblem and are unable to download it again because SN isn't for a FE bundle system)

Alright I am a noob here and I am all getting setup and ready for my New3DS that came with Sysnand 9.4. My old 3DS XL 9.2 has a NNID linked in. So my best option is to load all the Legit CIA I can on it. Then using the code.bin spoofing method proceed to system transfer to the New3DS, that would would have been updated by now to 9.8. After doing that I would have all those legit CIAs on my N3DS with my NNID working correctly. So far so good right?
Now if I ever erase the games from with in the system, I would lose them foreever since I cannot redownload them from eshop.

My question is this: if I delete the games from the uSD directly to make space and then put them back at a later time will they still work? So in this way I can use the smaller SD card transfer method and just have to pull the sd card when make space and shuffle the data when I want to play the bigger games. Or better if I don't want involve the eshop in those CIA with he smaller SD card transfer method. I use a bigger uSD and do system transfer to that and then copy everything except the games to the smaller original SD card on the N3DS. So I would still have the option to shuffle the games on the SD card later on. Is this correct.

Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong