• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What Is Conservatism and What Is Wrong with It? - An essential read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Ansem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For those of you, like me who hold conservatism and conservatives in, for the lack of a better word, disdain (heh) I'd like to share this oddly prophetic paper from 2004.

A brief summary for those too lazy to read or not gifted enough to understand, and there's plenty hanging here:

The paper posits that conservatism, anchored in aristocratic domination, is at odds with democracy, prosperity, and modern civilization. Tracing historical underpinnings, it outlines conservatism's core tenets around preserving traditional institutions and promoting social hierarchy. It argues that conservatism's claim to freedom is misguiding, and a deeper understanding of its principles is pivotal for revitalizing democratic ideals in the US. This piece urges a dismantling of conservatism's deceptive narratives to foster a more egalitarian society1.

now, this is obviously tailored to the US experience, and it will be outdated in some areas, but it is still a great read and, more importantly, some points made still have value.

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's overinterpretation for me. Conservativsm is just state of fact that some things like math, physical or natural law is constant and that's all, it's all about ultimate things. In moddern world we've got different face of the same "conservatism" mentioned above as art of kingdom, like freemasonry is managing now with illusion of democracy overlay. Rullers art, even monarchy in the whole history was never conservative (good) enough in the clear state of that meaning and I guess will never be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/