Hacking What is Haxchi or CBHC? FAQs and info

rysluoive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
if you have CBHC, you normally don't have haxchi (the normal haxchi, not coldboot) anymore. unless you installed CBHC and Haxchi on 2 different NDS games!
you need to run haxchi once manually to patch the FW when you don't have CBHC doing it automatically at boot.

if your CBHC is set to autoboot sysmenu, you shouldn't need to patch anything manually.
be sure your autoboot is properly set to sysmenu.

Hello Cyan!
I am sure that you don't remember me, but 2 years ago you have helped me "hack" my Wii.
I know that nowadays you don't have too much spare time, but if it is not too much trouble, I would like to ask once again for your help!
Recently, I have bought a Wii u from France. When I turned on the console for the first time I discovered that the game "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!" was already installed. Also I couldn’t found any user account (I think that the previous owner before she send me the console she reset it, then she login to her account download the game and then she delete her account). When I contact with her, she claimed that the console has never before been hacked and if I wanted, I could uninstall the game create a new account and redownload it , this time with my own account, from Nintendo eshop for free. According to her, she has done the same thing when she has bought the console from her brother. She also advised me (although she isn't sure about it) to keep the Wii U country settings as "France" because the game in the French Nintendo eshop is free to download.
So, my questions are:
-Is it safe to delete the game?
There are no traces that the console has ever before been hacked, when I run the game is working as a " Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!" game and when I scroll through the menu pages I can't find any Haxchi or CBHC icons. The seller seems very kind and helpful, I don't think that she wants to hide anything.
-Also, are the instructions from this site: "https://wiiu.hacks.guide" legit?
Thank you very much!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am sure that you don't remember me,
I don't :lol:

-Is it safe to delete the game?
Try to launch it... I'm sure you can't.
all officially downloaded channels are linked to an accountID, so if she deleted hers you can't launch installed games anymore.
It's safe, and there's no other thing to do than delete it.

She's right, the French (and probably all European, so if you really are in Greece, you should be fine to set the real country) eShop has/had that game for free if you connected to eshop in early years of console release date.
but I'm not sure if it's free based on the consoleID's first connection to eshop, or accountID first connection time to eshop.
In all cases, her account has been deleted, so you can only "try and see" with your new account and hope it's tied to the consoleID.
If not, you'll have to buy it.

-Also, are the instructions from this site: "https://wiiu.hacks.guide" legit?
WiiU hacks guide is good to follow.
Even if there are things and helpful information I find missing, it's safe.

if you are not sure the difference between haxchi and coldboot Haxchi, just read again the guide I wrote on the first post of this thread (yeah, I re-wrote and maintained it, even if not me on first post)

things you have to know:
- you need an official NDS game, bought (or free but official) from eshop.
- I recommend going to Haxchi first instead of CBHC.
1) to be sure it works before replacing haxchi with CBHC
2) to get used to it and see if Haxchi is enough for you.
3) If you don't use your console often, having haxchi is safer for "forgetfulness" in years, when you plug your console back, and forgot you shouldn't format/delete the account/reinstall NDS game over cbhc, etc. etc.
or you can, you know, put a post-it on your console "reminder - How to use the hack .... and DO NOT...." ;)

If you read the first post and understood the differences, CBHC is more "automatic, install and forget", but Haxchi offers more features such as homebrew shortcuts. not a big differences, but some users prefer having "clean firmware" at boot, and switch to CFW when they want to, instead of persistent CFW at boot.

it's just a matter of preferences.

Last edited by Cyan,

rysluoive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't :lol:

Try to launch it... I'm sure you can't.
all officially downloaded channels are linked to an accountID, so if she deleted hers you can't launch installed games anymore.
It's safe, and there's no other thing to do than delete it.

She's right, the French (and probably all European, so if you really are in Greece, you should be fine to set the real country) eShop has/had that game for free if you connected to eshop in early years of console release date.
but I'm not sure if it's free based on the consoleID's first connection to eshop, or accountID first connection time to eshop.
In all cases, her account has been deleted, so you can only "try and see" with your new account and hope it's tied to the consoleID.
If not, you'll have to buy it.

WiiU hacks guide is good to follow.
Even if there are things and helpful information I find missing, it's safe.

if you are not sure the difference between haxchi and coldboot Haxchi, just read again the guide I wrote on the first post of this thread (yeah, I re-wrote and maintained it, even if not me on first post)

things you have to know:
- you need an official NDS game, bought (or free but official) from eshop.
- I recommend going to Haxchi first instead of CBHC.
1) to be sure it works before replacing haxchi with CBHC
2) to get used to it and see if Haxchi is enough for you.
3) If you don't use your console often, having haxchi is safer for "forgetfulness" in years, when you plug your console back, and forgot you shouldn't format/delete the account/reinstall NDS game over cbhc, etc. etc.
or you can, you know, put a post-it on your console "reminder - How to use the hack .... and DO NOT...." ;)

If you read the first post and understood the differences, CBHC is more "automatic, install and forget", but Haxchi offers more features such as homebrew shortcuts. not a big differences, but some users prefer having "clean firmware" at boot, and switch to CFW when they want to, instead of persistent CFW at boot.

it's just a matter of preferences.
Thank you Cyan!
The strange thing is that when I launch the game I can play it as a normal "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day" game. Although in the user settings, the Nickname is Guest and under the Nintendo Network ID is written None linked.
So,I will delete it and redownload it with my own NNID. I will try The Haxchi and if everything goes well, I'll install CBHC(I prefer the autoboot). I would like to inject some gamecube games and I'd love to play them with the gamepad (I've read one of your post about that subject). To be safe I won't install any DS game(I've read that many accidently install the CBHC on a pirated DS game and the brick their console).
In my first message I forgot to mention the firmware version is 5.5.4E,before I install Haxchi can I check for any firmware updates?
Then I will follow the instruction from "https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/block-updates" to block the updates.
Would you point me any other helpful information to follow?
May I ask you also a silly question? Can I use, instead of a SD card, a microSD with an adapter? I think that Wii has some compatible issues.
Thank you very much!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is no more Mii or account listed at console boot ?
I'm not sure why you can still launch the game without it being linked to an account (even for free).

if you can launch it, then you should be able to use it as Haxchi, no need to delete.
I guess it's safer to delete, and get your own, linked to your account as it might not work anymore later if you link your account and this one is an orphan.

and that's why you should try "normal" haxchi first, see if it works, before going fully to CBHC at boot and notice it doesn't work/boot anymore.

if haxchi work, cbhc will too.

the firmware version is 5.5.4E,before I install Haxchi can I check for any firmware updates?
you can check for update, the exploit works on all firmwares.

Then I will follow the instruction from "https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/block-updates" to block the updates.
I recommend the "delete folder" version, even though there's no more update to block.
1) relying on remote servers/user/whatever is never a good idea. You never know when that "remote" stop working, or change their settings, allow access to what they were supposed to block, etc.
2) you could your own OpenDNS, or router filtering to block Nintendo's update servers, but you'll also block it for all your computer and other devices. You may not want to block access to nintendo for the wii for example, so filtering on a lower level can have consequences on other devices.
3) Some ISP are hijacking DNS requests to force theirs, not filtering anything...

4) Like I said, there shouldn't be any more update, so it's not really necessary to prevent updates. If there is one, it'll be related to certificate issue date (like PS3 update yearly for DVD license, etc.)

5) There's a guide with picture, and "undo" step on GBATemp.
contains a lot more information than just "press button blindly" step by step.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/block-wii-u-system-updates-without-dns-blocking.477944/

May I ask you also a silly question? Can I use, instead of a SD card, a microSD with an adapter?
an adapter is nothing more than wires to connect both ends of the card.
There's nothing fancy done inside.

You can use any SD adapter in place of any Micro or Mini SD sized card.

Last edited by Cyan,

rysluoive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello Cyan!
I've decided just to delete the game, create a new account and redownlod it.
It worked, now I have a working game that is linked with my account. I can't find any other account (except the one I've just created).
I 've upload some pictures of the wii u menu, maybe you can spot something else (I am not familiar with the Wii U menu).
https://imageupload.io/9NA8nk2eWi.g
I have circled 3 apps that I haven't downloaded myself, they were already installed as the "orphan" game. Are they going to cause any problem? Should I delete them?
The menu pages after the second page are the same(empty), there isn't any "Don't Touch me" icon. So, I think if I want, it is safe to reset the Wii U before I install the Haxchi (or cbxc).
As for the "block updates" I 'll stick with "delete folder". It seems easier (just an app) and you can recreate the update folder if you want.
One last thing, I 've read somewhere in the forum that it is possible the ds game somehow to be corrupted and brick the console (cbxc).
Have you heard something similar? I thought that if you don't format the console or delete the game, you would be safe!
Thank you very much for you time

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, if the game were to get corrupted, it would probably brick. the rom is in a file named rom.zip, that's what's replaced for cbhc and haxchi except cbhc also replaces the system.xml with the game. it's very unlikely the game will get corrupted though. I've been using cbhc for four years, daily, and I've never had a problem.

the way to know for sure if you're running cbhc is if you see "autobooting" or a men when you boot up the system. the do not touch icon not existing means nothing, because if you copy the game instead of move it, the icon and text won't appear. that's how I have mine setup. mine still says rednand.

rysluoive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
yes, if the game were to get corrupted, it would probably brick. the rom is in a file named rom.zip, that's what's replaced for cbhc and haxchi except cbhc also replaces the system.xml with the game. it's very unlikely the game will get corrupted though. I've been using cbhc for four years, daily, and I've never had a problem.

the way to know for sure if you're running cbhc is if you see "autobooting" or a men when you boot up the system. the do not touch icon not existing means nothing, because if you copy the game instead of move it, the icon and text won't appear. that's how I have mine setup. mine still says rednand.
Thank you very much for your reply!
I dont think that my Wii U is hacked ,because I can't see anything during the booting. But just to be safe I won't format it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could try loading any ds game you have. normally, cbhc has autobooting followed by the title id of the game you're using. you're probably fine. personally, I wouldn't format unless you want to get rid of everything. tickets even still remain after a format, they just won't work without the account that purchased them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you could hack a new ds game as well. try buying brain age.

rysluoive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There is no more Mii or account listed at console boot ?
I'm not sure why you can still launch the game without it being linked to an account (even for free).

if you can launch it, then you should be able to use it as Haxchi, no need to delete.
I guess it's safer to delete, and get your own, linked to your account as it might not work anymore later if you link your account and this one is an orphan.

and that's why you should try "normal" haxchi first, see if it works, before going fully to CBHC at boot and notice it doesn't work/boot anymore.

if haxchi work, cbhc will too.

you can check for update, the exploit works on all firmwares.

I recommend the "delete folder" version, even though there's no more update to block.
1) relying on remote servers/user/whatever is never a good idea. You never know when that "remote" stop working, or change their settings, allow access to what they were supposed to block, etc.
2) you could your own OpenDNS, or router filtering to block Nintendo's update servers, but you'll also block it for all your computer and other devices. You may not want to block access to nintendo for the wii for example, so filtering on a lower level can have consequences on other devices.

3) Like I said, there shouldn't be any more update, so it's not really necessary to prevent updates. If there is one, it'll be related to certificate issue date (like PS3 update yearly for DVD license, etc.)

4) There's a guide with picture, and "undo" step on GBATemp.
contains a lot more information than just "press button blindly" step by step.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/block-wii-u-system-updates-without-dns-blocking.477944/

an adapter is nothing more than wires to connect both ends of the card.
There's nothing fancy done inside.

You can use any SD adapter in place of any Micro or Mini SD sized card.
Hello Cyan!
I've decided just to delete the game, create a new account and redownlod it.
It worked, now I have a working game that is linked with my account. I can't find any other account (except the one I've just created).
I 've upload some pictures of the wii u menu, maybe you can spot something else (I am not familiar with the Wii U menu).
https://imageupload.io/9NA8nk2eWi.g
I have circled 3 apps that I haven't downloaded myself, they were already installed as the "orphan" game. Are they going to cause any problem? Should I delete them?
The menu pages after the second page are the same(empty), there isn't any "Don't Touch me" icon. So, I think if I want, it is safe to reset the Wii U before I install the Haxchi (or cbxc).
As for the "block updates" I 'll stick with "delete folder". It seems easier (just an app) and you can recreate the update folder if you want.
One last thing, I 've read somewhere in the forum that it is possible the ds game somehow to be corrupted and brick the console (cbxc).
Have you heard something similar? I thought that if you don't format the console or delete the game, you would be safe!
Thank you very much for you time

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hmm, I have the feeling I already saw that message somewhere.... it's repeating itself.....maybe a bug in the matrix :lol:

circled games : I'm not too familiar with wiiu apps, so I don't know if they are orphan eshop games, but as long as they work, you can keep then I guess !

the "do not touch" is the default "icon picture" for CBHC, and will replace the NDS game's original "icon" (the game icon) with an exclamation point icon picture, replace the game name with "do not touch" name, etc.
You can even use any icon you want to your liking, but I recommend keeping it to default for safety.
but it's still just the NDS game ! its official ROM (NDS games compressed into rom.zip) has been replaced with CBHC's rom.zip

You can actually "touch" that icon.
You can move it in a folder, you can even LAUNCH it manually (it's just cbhc you know, the console actually does launch it at boot, so there's nothing wrong launching it, you just don't need to do it youself again).
just don't EVER delete or move it on USB !

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I have 3 Wii U's and they are all hacked to run Hakchi. Let's say a year or two from now Nintendo closes the e-shop for the wii U, how will future users be able to install hakchi without legit DS games?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

I have 3 Wii U's and they are all hacked to run Hakchi. Let's say a year or two from now Nintendo closes the e-shop for the wii U, how will future users be able to install hakchi without legit DS games?
That's contradictory, isn't it? How can haxchi work without a compatible ds vc game? But even so, I don't think nintendo will close the store there for the time being. And even if they do, you may as well not care. All your wii u's are hacked with haxchi. Just keep the game and you're fine.

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's contradictory, isn't it? How can haxchi work without a compatible ds vc game? But even so, I don't think nintendo will close the store there for the time being. And even if they do, you may as well not care. All your wii u's are hacked with haxchi. Just keep the game and you're fine.

The consoles are hacked using the legit ds vc required. I was just speculating about what is the scene going to do when nintendo shutsdown the eshop for the wii u and people can no longer get legitimate DS vc titles to install.

does anyone speculate there is another vulenerability that would get the wii u to run unsigned code?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The consoles are hacked using the legit ds vc required. I was just speculating about what is the scene going to do when nintendo shutsdown the eshop for the wii u and people can no longer get legitimate DS vc titles to install.

does anyone speculate there is another vulenerability that would get the wii u to run unsigned code?

there's already ways to run unsigned code without a ds game. there's just no coldboot way to do so.

MasterMan194

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, i have a a wiiu sometime now and it's in v5.5.0-U version. Aways used browser exploit + Mocha. Just got Brain Age from eShop. Must i observe anyting different when installing hackxi?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol