Homebrew What is wrong with video tutorials?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be more blunt here it really just boils down on finding an uploader/Channel that is dedicated into doing hack tutorials to the point you can heavily rely on them for updated content.
I found a guy that covers the Wii U, Vita, and 3DS hacking tuts https://www.youtube.com/user/Skulllator and I must say if it weren't for Skullator's vids I wouldn't be sitting here with 3 fully hacked consoles
Im abit slow on the text guide of things lol some ppl rather see a visual tut to help reduce bricking anything, but to only find updated things you just have to be more specific on what you are looking for or look at the date of the video and compare it to others

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: can't spell
Reactions: invaderyoyo

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Most of the points have already been covered but here is my 2c.

Video tutorials in theory is not any better or worse than a written guide. It is no different from saying that a cookbook is better than a cooking show/video. If anything, some may argue that it is actually better because of our monkey-see-monkey-do nature.

The core difference lies in the fact that everything is centralised in the written guide. There is one "official" guide so to speak which is very well maintained. Meanwhile we have every other Tom, Dick and Harry making tutorial videos for whatever reason, be it e-peen or otherwise. It also helps that it is almost akin to a choose-your-own-adventure storybook where you get a tailored guide to suit whatever build and firmware you have. I mean, you could technically do that with videos, but then people would probably make an all-in-one video which will lead us to this very position yet again. Then there is the fact that things change and get updated quite frequently. This would be all fine and dandy if the makers of the videos keep themselves up to date and/or remove outdated videos. If now there exists a guide with pictures or with multiple videos demonstrating each action and which is constantly updated like Plailect's, I would not mind recommending that one instead. Sometimes, I can't fully blame people for going to video guides because those new to the scene may not know of this Holy Grail especially with the plethora of other guides out there, though a little extra research would probably point them there but I digress. Now if we had people reposting Plailect's guide multiple times without updating, we would have the same problem.

There was also one particular video where the poster attached the wrong set of files in the description which caused some problems. That's an isolated case and is not exclusive to video tutorials.

tl;dr It's not the format. It's how people do not keep things up to date.

Reactions: NekoMichi

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other problem is, you have no way of knowing of a video guide is out of date sometimes. Like a video guide could be advertising flashing your 2.1 emunand to your sysnand, and it might work for you, but thats not the best way of doing it.
This can apply to written tutorials as well, just like almost all the other points people are bringing up.

Plailect's guide was bricking people, too. Remember OTPless?

Uploaders can add annotations or change the title of their video to let people know that specific video is out of date.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well comparing and contrasting the 2 of what people prefer in their hacking methods is just walking on a thin line of personal preferences at this point.
Even text guides can be outdated when the breakthrough becomes more advance within itself to prevent bricks or easier installments. The most common issue with videos I see are dead links or none at all, but ive been googling for years so its not a big deal to me cant speak for others tho i guess. The old Plailect's guide bricked my n3ds and I ended up having to buy a $80 motherboard/hire a hardmodder to repair it also install cfw for me.
But again if you are looking at 2+ year old videos then thats the 1st mistake you already made

Last edited by MasterJ360,

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Who remembers the most recent brickwave when all the noobs were following outdated A9LH tutorials on youtube?

I have a feeling that the youtube channels in question are monetised and the owners are hungry for subs and views, even if it means damaging noobs 3DS's in the process.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did't read all the posts and arguments yet.
Just wanted to post these :

To me, what makes me feel against a (youtube) video tutorial are :
1. outdated, but even a written guide can be outdated. It's up to the user to verify the validity and date etc.
2. users following a video are usually non patient, and skip to the part they want ! forgetting and missing information. Some people are talking veryyyyy much, and that's boring. skip skip skip ahhhh too much skip and it's a brick.
3. It's too easy to make a video. anyone capable of doing one can make any guide. And usually, the people who are making a guide are NOT genius at all. They are noob (in the bad sense of the term) who barely successfully followed ANOTHER video guide and think that the way they did is THE ONLY WAY, while there are MORE possibility and if someone with the wrong hardware or wrong version follows a random guide from someone who think he knows everything, he can be certain to get a bad day fixing it (if possible).

That's my main concern with video : wrong and bad advises.
All the videos I watched are always bad. Something always ends false or dangerous to follow.
It's like only noob are making video guides...

Ok, now I'll go read the rest of this thread :P

edit:
1. They don't usually cover every possibility

Totally agree, and that's also the case in a lot of written guide. "I know better what's best for you"
we should always provide cover all possibilities (multiple hardware version, etc.) or provide choices and explain why they are doing something and let the user pick based on what they really want to do.
But I understand some people don't like explanation or don't want understand why they do things, they just want it.
I always try to explain the reason the user is doing something, it's maybe too much information. at least, anyone is free to skip the thing they don't want to learn.

Last edited by Cyan,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did't read all the posts and arguments yet.
Just wanted to post these :

To me, what makes me feel against a (youtube) video tutorial are :
1. outdated, but even a written guide can be outdated. It's up to the user to verify the validity and date etc.
2. users following a video are usually non patient, and skip to the part they want ! forgetting and missing information. Some people are talking veryyyyy much, and that's boring. skip skip skip ahhhh too much skip and it's a brick.
3. It's too easy to make a video. anyone capable of doing one can make any guide. And usually, the people who are making a guide are NOT genius at all. They are noob (in the bad sense of the term) who barely successfully followed ANOTHER video guide and think that the way they did is THE ONLY WAY, while there are MORE possibility and if someone with the wrong hardware or wrong version follows a random guide from someone who think he knows everything, he can be certain to get a bad day fixing it (if possible).

That's my main concern with video : wrong and bad advises.
All the videos I watched are always bad. Something always ends false or dangerous to follow.
It's like only noob are making video guides...

Ok, now I'll go read the rest of this thread :P

edit:
1. They don't usually cover every possibility

Totally agree, and that's also the case in a lot of written guide. "I know better what's best for you"
we should always provide cover all possibilities (multiple hardware version, etc.) or provide choices and explain why they are doing something and let the user pick based on what they really want to do.
But I understand some people don't like explanation or don't want understand why they do things, they just want it.
I always try to explain the reason the user is doing something, it's maybe too much information. at least, anyone is free to skip the thing they don't want to learn.
The reason why only noobs write video guides is because if they had any sort of education they would know not to follow video guides.

Reactions: xJoelituh

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, I am a very fast learner and a very fast reader. So watching a video tutorial can be very boring to me, because most of the time they take a while to get to the point.

With a written tutorial, I can read as fast as I can understand what I'm reading. So I will always choose a written tutorial or guide over a video, any day. But that's just my preference. It may be be different for other people.

Edit: Cyan bring up very very good points. And I agree with everything he said, that is why I don't like YouTube videos for guides and tutorials. Anyone can make a video, and it could be completely wrong, because the person in the video sounds like a 6 year old that never did the research, so he knows nothing about what he is showing. It's not like YouTube will take it down because the video is spreading false information. As long as the video is making YouTube money, they don't care.

Last edited by TheTechGenius,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The thing is, I am a very fast learner and a very fast reader. So watching a video tutorial can be very boring to me, because most of the time they take a while to get to the point.

With a written tutorial, I can read as fast as I can understand what I'm reading. So I will always choose a written tutorial or guide over a video, any day. But that's just my preference. It may be be different for other people.

Edit: Cyan bring up very very good points. And I agree with everything he said, that is why I don't like YouTube videos for guides and tutorials. Anyone can make a video, and it could be completely wrong, because the person in the video sounds like a 6 year old that never did the research, so he knows nothing about what he is showing. It's not like YouTube will take it down because the video is spreading false information. As long as the video is making YouTube money, they don't care.
That's the nice thing about a written guide - you can work at your own pace so it works for both first-timers who might take longer on every step or an experienced user such as yourself who can breeze through and just pick up the main points quickly and efficiently. With a video, everyone is forced to follow at the pace of the narrator and has to either pause, skip, or even rewind at certain points.

Reactions: TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is people don't like to read.

Exactly. Most of the people that rather watch a video guide/tutorial then read a written guide, are people that don't like to read, or are to lazy to read. It's the same people that don't even research the problem using Google themselves. I've seen it time and time again, on all different kinds of tech forums. And the funny thing is, Most of the time the problem could be solved with a few seconds of a quick Google search.

However, if the person has a disability, or have trouble reading, then the best thing for them is probably a video guide.

My issue is with the people that are to lazy to read a modding guide. If your to lazy to read a full hacking/modding guide, then you shouldn't even be modding your console.

Because if you ever have a problem, chances are there is no video to show you how to fix it. So you will have to read and do your research on possible solutions to your problem.

Reactions: MattKimura

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the biggest problem with video tutorials is the fact that the majority of the authors don't give a shit if they give wrong information, upload outdated files etc etc. They learn how to do something, or do it once and make a video to capitalize on "views" while their support consists of linking this site anyway. You're putting A LOT of trust into someone using dropbox files in a sensitive console process. Some people are malicious, or just complete idiots like the dude who left his OTP in his files and bricked tons of people. Would that have happened if he used the guides mirrors? Nope. He was just trying to gain popularity and gained infamy instead.

I don't think video guides are ALL taboo, but even if you're a visual learner it would be better to have a friend walk you through the guide on skype or at the least making sure the video you are following is current, uses the guides mirror links and explains to check the guide while following the video and noting any changes since upload. My rule of thumb when following any type of guide is to do my own research before following blindly so I at least know they're using "recent" programs.

In all honesty, laziness is the #1 reason people shouldn't follow video guides. If you're meticulous, curious and concerned about bricking a $200 console, you would research a bit before blindly jumping off a cliff. Take me for example, when I downgraded last year I didn't even KNOW there was a guide. No one linked anything to me. I had some random guy on here PM me GoogleDrive links, while telling me in messages what to do and what not to do. In hindsight, I was an idiot and got lucky the person was genuine, but I very much could have ended up with a nice paperweight for not doing my own research first. Lesson learned.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the biggest problem with video tutorials is the fact that the majority of the authors don't give a shit if they give wrong information, upload outdated files etc etc. They learn how to do something, or do it once and make a video to capitalize on "views" while their support consists of linking this site anyway. You're putting A LOT of trust into someone using dropbox files in a sensitive console process. Some people are malicious, or just complete idiots like the dude who left his OTP in his files and bricked tons of people. Would that have happened if he used the guides mirrors? Nope. He was just trying to gain popularity and gained infamy instead.

I don't think video guides are ALL taboo, but even if you're a visual learner it would be better to have a friend walk you through the guide on skype or at the least making sure the video you are following is current, uses the guides mirror links and explains to check the guide while following the video and noting any changes since upload. My rule of thumb when following any type of guide is to do my own research before following blindly so I at least know they're using "recent" programs.

In all honesty, laziness is the #1 reason people shouldn't follow video guides. If you're meticulous, curious and concerned about bricking a $200 console, you would research a bit before blindly jumping off a cliff. Take me for example, when I downgraded last year I didn't even KNOW there was a guide. No one linked anything to me. I had some random guy on here PM me GoogleDrive links, while telling me in messages what to do and what not to do. In hindsight, I was an idiot and got lucky the person was genuine, but I very much could have ended up with a nice paperweight for not doing my own research first. Lesson learned.
fyi to visual learners, plailect includes pictures in his guide now 3ds.guide

Reactions: TimX24968B

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fyi to visual learners, plailect includes pictures in his guide now 3ds.guide
I'm aware. Why was that in reply to me? I never even mentioned visual vs book learning in my post Lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why are you complaining? Go make one yourself so your peers won't have to suffer the horrible fate of reading like you did.
Did you even read the OP? He wasn't complaining, he was making an observation and actually said he was glad the written guide existed. Unless you're talking to someone else and forgot to hit that little "reply" button.....

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware. Why was that in reply to me? I never even mentioned visual vs book learning in my post Lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did you even read the OP? He wasn't complaining, he was making an observation and actually said he was glad the written guide existed. Unless you're talking to someone else and forgot to hit that little "reply" button.....
the part when you mentioned "even if your a visual learner" I thought it was relevant to for whoever looks at this thread later on down the line

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone seems to be touching on the "getting outdated quickly" and "missing steps", however one thing I haven't seen touched on much is safety of using outdated methods. This particularly strikes a chord with me because I've lurked in some irc channels and have seen more than a small handful of people brick their systems either by using Joe random's "I figured out how to do something, now let me half assedly show the rest of the world" tutorial videos. Best off to work with a guide that's frequently kept up to date, especially with an ever moving target like the 3d's. Save video guides for some years down the line when "the guide" is effectively finalized.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are actually several problems with video tutorials.
1: They never keep up to date. Due to the ever changing nature of the homebrew, it's more than required to keep up to date. This also means that there are tutorials often giving out older and or more complicated methods to do the same thing. These methods may work, but their outdated nature often causes user distress. Try being someone using one of these tutorials based on the emuNAND method of installing A9LH.
2: Lack of information, warnings, and troubleshooting. Almost all youtube tutorials show users how to do it, but are ill equipped to help the user. Often time either leaving out details or lacking proper information to explain common issues during the installation process. This has caused many users to panic and start troubleshooting randomly, often times leading them here when the system is long gone.
3: Information often gets spread out due to the number of video tutorials. There are so many of them that it's impossible to know where to even start or if the video is up to date. Not to mention date doesn't matter because there are still people making Menuhax videos and parading them as "A9LH alternatives." So you have people spreading those videos with the "A9LH" tag.

So yeah, it's nice to have these videos, but they have some glaring issues. It would be nice to have one channel that covers the guide, but everyone wants to be that "One channel." So we just end up with floods of these videos and floods of people confused by them.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I find fascinating about this thread is how alot of folks are so quick to point out outdated videos like we can't ignore them.
Youtube has a "Filter" search that can narrow down on the latest tutorial vids by current day, week, month and year. But all in all 90% of tut vids are copy pasta information from written guides, outdated or not
I'm just saying we can eliminate outdated videos its just that people don't or don't know how to search videos properly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Cj8n4MfhjUc?si=detAUm1a27hi4uTP