Homebrew What is wrong with video tutorials?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What I find fascinating about this thread is how alot of folks are so quick to point out outdated videos like we can't ignore them.
Youtube has a "Filter" search that can narrow down on the latest tutorial vids by current day, week, month and year. But all in all 90% of tut vids are copy pasta information from written guides, outdated or not
I'm just saying we can eliminate outdated videos its just that people don't or don't know how to search videos properly
The issue is, not everyone searches based on upload time. Most people will just click on the video(s) with the most views. Which of course they often don't consider the time frame to which it took for these videos to get those views.
The other issue with these videos is that they are just copy-paste content, but they also fail to go into detail. When you go through the comments, most of the comments are people having issues with common problems addressed in The Guide. But because the youtuder doesn't include the methods to fixing them, these comments often go unchecked. Basically the youtuber just leaves people in the dark with issues that are easy to fix and would be easy to troubleshoot if they were following a proper guide.

Reactions: NekoMichi

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is, not everyone searches based on upload time. Most people will just click on the video(s) with the most views. Which of course they often don't consider the time frame to which it took for these videos to get those views.
The other issue with these videos is that they are just copy-paste content, but they also fail to go into detail. When you go through the comments, most of the comments are people having issues with common problems addressed in The Guide. But because the youtuder doesn't include the methods to fixing them, these comments often go unchecked. Basically the youtuber just leaves people in the dark with issues that are easy to fix and would be easy to troubleshoot if they were following a proper guide.
Relying on just video views is another mistake, I would have to point out I have to personally say on the matter is that those type of searchers do not fully understand how to use Youtube"Not picking on them" B/c in their mindset every popular video is new content. If you want to make sure you are watching the latest content the "date" of the video should be the biggest concern not the views.

You have to understand Youtube has a collection of popular old videos that "were" relevant at the time. It just boils down how specifically the user searches to weed out outdated content. If people just click on a video b/c of its thumbnail without reading the title it falls into that same situation, but again filtering your searches helps that issue dramatically. And b/c popular videos tend to have over hundreds of people asking help I wouldn't be surprised if alot ppl got un answered I mean could you answer them all? As a youtuber myself 80% of the time I have people asking questions that were already answered in the Description of the video or ask for links when they are already there. So its frustrating on both parties, but if people filter their searches within the recent time frame it guarantees updated content. Most viewed content can accumulate over years and doesn't specify updated info.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Relying on just video views is another mistake I would have to point out. If you want to make sure you are watching the latest content the "date" of the video should be the biggest concern not the views. B/c you have to understand Youtube has a collection of popular old videos that "were" relevant at the time. It just boils down how specifically the user searches to weed out outdated content. If people just click on a video b/c of its thumbnail without reading the title it falls into that same situation, but again filtering your searches helps that issue dramatically. And b/c popular videos tend to have over hundreds of people asking help I wouldn't be surprised if alot ppl got un answered I mean could you answer them all? As a youtuber myself 80% of the time I have people asking questions that were already answered in the Description of the video or ask for links when they are already there. So its frustrating on both parties, but if people filter their searches within the recent time frame it guarantees updated content. Most viewed content can accumulate over years and doesn't specify updated info.
I mean, you just pointed out the same thing I did. It's not that I am the person ignoring upload time, I am just pointing out that most people tend to gravitate towards the one with the most views. Most people actually don't know how to search Youtube and simply just look for videos with the most views over videos with recent upload times, coupled with youtube setting up the search engine to do that.
Not mention most people don't read the video description.
I am just going to mention that I am not disagreeing with you, but that the average youtube viewer simply doesn't make an attempt to help themselves.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: MasterJ360

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, you just pointed out the same thing I did. It's not that I am the person ignoring upload time, I am just pointing out that most people tend to gravitate towards the one with the most views. Most people actually don't know how to search Youtube and simply just look for videos with the most views over videos with recent upload times, coupled with youtube setting up the search engine to do that.
Not mention most people don't read the video description.
Right so essentially its not really the uploaders fault if people keep running into outdated stuff, but video tuts are great if we know what to look for or subscribed to a reliable active channel for that matter. Text guides are most likely better b/c theres no extra work to get into the specific concerns of updated material and is done at our own pace

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: can't spell

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Imagine you are taking a picture of a building being made and saying "This is the new building". However it keeps updating and updating, getting better and better. Now probably half if not most picture takers will be too lazy to always have to take a photo every time one thing is updated whenever it be big, or small. The same applies to 3ds.guide and video tutorials.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Right so essentially its not really the uploaders fault if people keep running into outdated stuff, but video tuts are great if we know what to look for or subscribed to a reliable active channel for that matter. Text guides are most likely better b/c theres no extra work to get into the specific concerns of updated material and is done in our own pace
I am not blaming the youtuber, even through though I've seen a good chunk of them who are way in over their heads. But I am going to point that they should continue to update with the scene and remove old information. Keeping old videos public only adds to the clutter and causes the issues we run into now

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not blaming the youtuber, even through though I've seen a good chunk of them who are way in over their heads. But I am going to point that they should continue to update with the scene and remove old information. Keeping old videos public only adds to the clutter and causes the issues we run into now
Thats true or atleast pin a comment stating its outdated, but when you are dealing with the most popular media network its almost a requirement to accurately key in our searches especially with the amounts of click-baiting going on thats making YouTube cancerous.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I find fascinating about this thread is how alot of folks are so quick to point out outdated videos like we can't ignore them.
Youtube has a "Filter" search that can narrow down on the latest tutorial vids by current day, week, month and year. But all in all 90% of tut vids are copy pasta information from written guides, outdated or not
I'm just saying we can eliminate outdated videos its just that people don't or don't know how to search videos properly

That's cool and all...but it is actually a bit of a leap to presume everyone making videos is using the latest techniques when making them.

D

Deleted User

Here is why

Noob:Oh boy a video on how to hack my 3ds! I'm on 11.3 which is a really old firmware,I can't wait to be a nintendo pirate! (doesn't check the date of the video and its a rxtools/reinand tutorial)

Noob:WHAAAAAA :cry: WHAAAAAA my 3ds is bricked! It wont boot up anymore. I know! I'll check out this hacking forum site (even though I should of checked it out before hacking my 3ds) and ask for help!

Tempers:WHY DO YOU USE VIDEOS!!!!!! Rxtools is dead!! Lumamasterrace!

Soon enough every thread on gbatemp ends up like this.Thats the bottom line.

Last edited by ,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is why

Noob:Oh boy a video on how to hack my 3ds! I'm on 11.3 which is a really old firmware,I can't wait to be a nintendo pirate! (doesn't check the date of the video and its a rxtools/reinand tutorial)

Noob:WHAAAAAA :cry: WHAAAAAA my 3ds is bricked! It wont boot up anymore. I know! I'll check out this hacking forum site (even though I should of checked it out before hacking my 3ds) and ask for help!

Tempers:WHY DO YOU USE VIDEOS!!!!!! Rxtools is dead!! Lumamasterrace!

Soon enough every thread on gbatemp ends up like this.Thats the bottom line.

And for good reason. RxTools literally isn't usable anymore.

Reactions: TimX24968B
D

Deleted User

And for good reason. RxTools literally isn't usable anymore.
Indeed so,but people who use video's first wont know,and then we get posts about people bricking with outdated videos all over the place.Same thing can apply for outdated a9lh videos too who link outdated files for add revenue.

Last edited by ,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's cool and all...but it is actually a bit of a leap to presume everyone making videos is using the latest techniques when making them.
Well its a rare occurrence to see someone using outdated 3ds hacking methods in a current time frame and people are usually kept up to date especially if they are copy pasta from updated written guides
which generally leads to this site or github. If ppl have no clue on what to do then they probably should seek 3DS Homebrew Discord assistance

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: can't spell

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back