What is your favorite moment from the console hacking scene?

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There are some very good ones in this thread but I'll have to go with the entire Dreamcast scene.
The discovery of the MIL-CD entrypoint which kickstarted it all, the release of the first Utopia Bootdisk and Action Replay/GameShark CDX, both of which later on became obsolete when used to boot backups & homebrew by selfbooting disks, the rise of brilliant homebrew apps like DreamShell and awesome hardware hacks like the SD adapter...

Taken by itself, it might seem like any other hacking scene where the line between homebrew and piracy is very blurred. However, what's so mind-blowing to me is that the exact same thing which many say killed the Dreamcast has allowed it to survive much past its discontinuation date. Think about it: a console that got released worldwide around 20 years ago is still getting homebrew and commercial indie releases to this very day and we're talking about something that was considered a big commercial failure.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You were one of the people that cared about that? I always wrote it off as one of those things people complained about as there was essentially nothing else to complain about/differentiate things from other devices.
That's probably an age thing. It was common for me (and others probably as well) to meet with friends and play download play games - especially since games were expensive from our perspective and you only needed one.

My best moment of the hacking scene was probably when the DSi FINALLY got a CFW and a free entry point that works on the latest version (ugopwn).

Last edited by Technicmaster0,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's probably an age thing. It was common for me (and others probably as well) to meet with friends and play download play games - especially since games were expensive from our perspective and you only needed one.
I get that much but flash carts had rates of spread that the average plague would be impressed by, with costs dropping through the floor compared to the GBA and drag and drop being the order of the day, especially if we are talking about the R4 era.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably the same reason I joined. Wjem I discovered that I could use my DS to be my gaming device, mp3 player AND play movies??? That was more than anything other than video ipods could do at the time, and for a fraction of the price. That little R4 was my best friend for a long time.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The floppy disk backup attachment for the SNES. Super UFO or whatever it was called... It was so exciting going over to a friend who had that and play all these mystical games I never heard of before... (that's how I was introduced to ActRaiser for example).

Reactions: kineticUk

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not sure if this really applies, but the Geohot Sony rap has really stuck with me.

this guy has more talent than Justin bieber tho! xD

That guys was a legend, too bad he had to sign an agreement to not touch any Sony's consoles anymore, otherwise they would send him to jail...We probably could get ps4 jailbreak much earlier!

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: Tarmfot

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The floppy disk backup attachment for the SNES. Super UFO or whatever it was called... It was so exciting going over to a friend who had that and play all these mystical games I never heard of before... (that's how I was introduced to ActRaiser for example).

there were 3 devices that used floppy disks, thou i think the UFO didn't use a floppy drive but a sd card?
MGH - mutli game hunter - worked on megadrive and snes
SWC - super wild card - snes only
game doctor - snes only

I use to have 100s of floppy disks then one day someone released SNES EXPRESS, nearly every Snes game that had been published on 1 cd :cry:

Reactions: Issac

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
there were 3 devices that used floppy disks, thou i think the UFO didn't use a floppy drive but a sd card?
MGH - mutli game hunter - worked on megadrive and snes
SWC - super wild card - snes only
game doctor - snes only

I use to have 100s of floppy disks then one day someone released SNES EXPRESS, nearly every Snes game that had been published on 1 cd :cry:
I googled and it was the Super UFO Drive Pro 6 Hyper Edition from 1993 :D (SD cards came in 2000)
The memories of loading the games for several minutes :3 aww i miss it

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not a console obviously, but back when all we needed was a tape-to-tape recorder to copy games. Man, life was simple in the olden days :D
Yep, and then when you tried to load the backup tape, the computer gave you an error message at 94%. 30 minutes of your life gone forever! But still good old days, I miss that era. :rofl:

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I felt like a wizard turning my PSP battery into a Pandora Battery. Cut the copper trace and tape it back up.. Install cfw and turn back into normal battery using a pencil to draw out the trace again. Really fun times!

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, and then when you tried to load the backup tape, the computer gave you an error message at 94%. 30 minutes of your life gone forever! But still good old days, I miss that era. :rofl:

Speccy was the worst. Even an original tape was hit or miss at times. And if you farted anywhere near it, no chance of it loading :D

Reactions: Dust2dust

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
modding my first playstation them 12c508 chip mods

Same here, those chips were also used for hacking O2 mobile phones and cable TV boxes, I used to buy them buy the hundreds :-). Also that time was when I bought my first CD burner x1 speed and converted it to x2 speed.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably when I successfully repaired my own huge mistake on my SuFami Jr.

Pics/details HERE .

Also, every time I turn on my Saturn, since that was my first modchip install, in 1999, and it's still going strong.

D

Deleted User

When DIOS MIOS added USB loading support after years of people saying it couldn't be done. That was cash.
There was also the GBA emulator for the DSi which many claimed to be impossible. All because some shitty flash cart which didn't even support ROM loading had a built-in CPU.

Reactions: Tarmfot

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everything. hacking and homebrew on my switch is my favorite things now. 3ds hacking and homebrew is my favorite too.
I started with nes and game genie. I made flying glitchy mario on super mario bros 3.

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would've had to be when the 3ds downgrade to 9.2 and subsequent A9LH release came out. Putting my new3ds on 2.1 was so nerve wracking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64