What operating system are you using and why is it Linux?

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you heard the good word of our lord and savior Linux?

4fc.png

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh. No thank you. It's Just Great if you have hours upon hours of time to waste in the belief that you are Exercising Choice and Freeing Yourself, but I have better things to do with my time.

I like this old post:
https://web.archive.org/web/2008080...pot.com/2008/06/evolution-of-ubuntu-user.html

And this one:
https://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer
Fucking heathen. Burn in hell. (Seriously, nowadays it's install and forget. Unless you have a Nvidia card you won't even need to install any drivers. Even then, the newest Ubuntu installer has an option to do that for you.)

Reactions: IncredulousP

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty easy to game on Linux now with Lutris and Proton.
It is, but you lose a 10-20% performance boost generally (compared to windows). Even if it's not that substantial (10-20%) I'd rather not fragmentate my library between operating systems, and there are just plenty of titles that won't work on linux with even with finagling.

Last edited by Mythical,

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is, but you lose a 10-20% performance boost generally (compared to windows). Even if it's not that substantial (10-20%) I'd rather not fragmentate my library between operating systems, and there are just plenty of titles that won't work on linux with even with finagling.
Actually the difference is less than one percent. DXVK and Proton have come a long way. In this benchmark Linux actually pulls ahead of Windows at some points.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the difference is less than one percent. DXVK and Proton have come a long way. In this benchmark Linux actually pulls ahead of Windows at some points.

Seems interesting. Know of a good site of how to get games to run on linux by any chance? kinda like the wikis for game emulators but for games on linux?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I would try out this MX linux business as my old install was getting long in the tooth and no longer supported. This is quite literally the first thread I am reading on it, though I went the cowboy install and left my home directory (and all the settings) intact from the old install so it is more or less boot up and go right now.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never heard of that Linux disro

:huh:
I thought not. It's not a story the Linux users would tell you. It's a Microsoft legend. Bill Gates was a programming master from MIT, so powerful and so wise... he could use a keyboard to influence the electrons to create... GUI. He had such a knowledge of the assembly, he could even keep the hard drives he cared about from dying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: At least the 20 you can add MicroSD up to 1TB lol