What skill do you accept you don't have but still admire in others?

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knowing how to orient yourself, or just directional sense. I'm horrendous when it comes to being able to navigate. If Google Maps can't give me a line to it, I'll never get there. This is exacerbated in games, where I've had people crack jokes at my inability to find my way without a quest marker, making fun, and thinking I was kidding, only to be shocked that I genuinely lack any sense of direction.
Games can be needlessly complicated, and sometimes cryptic on what you should be looking for or where you need to go. And it can only get worse when you're exploring an area, and there's confusing hallways and buildings that all look similar to each other (that happens way too often..), and my OCD & completionist self kicks in, so i start exploring the whole area 2~3 times until i'm sure i didn't miss anything..
And that's when i reach out to a YT longplay video and see what i'm supposed to do.. Oh? I need to get back to town and get this item, and come back and give it to this "guy", so I can proceed? 🤔
And the game told me none of this..

Reactions: Chary

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Craftiness. Alot of people I know are able to make real thing in IRL. Not comics, music or stuff like this, but stuff that is actually useful to others. I wish I would be more crafty, and that there were more crafty types around these days. Destruction is easy, construction that is way of brilliance.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In a creative sense, people who can make really impressive art without even trying that hard. They just look at something and get it right on paper, even copying complex folds in fabric and the textures of hair. Very impressive.

In a practical sense, people who can fix and build stuff. Like a friend of mine built a stud wall in his house just following YouTube tutorials. Even with that kind of guidance I'd fuck it up. I'm just no good with my hands like that.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Способность хорошо разбираться в математике:)

o............k. uh, we speak only french/canadian on this site. :)

:ohnoes: I Mean ENGLISH ! :ohnoes: I don't know why I typed french/canadian :rofl2:

Reactions: CoolMe

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I admire people with good memory!
Much as I hate to be the guy to do a ted talk link in a thread like this (and that is before we contemplate the nature of memory palace as useful of not) then

Memory is a skill you can train, not necessarily a feat you are born with (though some are, I seemingly being one such) but one you can train and learn tricks to help with.
Related

Reactions: Maximumbeans

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Much as I hate to be the guy to do a ted talk link in a thread like this (and that is before we contemplate the nature of memory palace as useful of not) then
[video]
Thanks for the link - always fascinated with things like this. My memory kind of sucks so it would be nice to try and learn more about honing it.

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I envy being handy enough to fix stuff around the house with relative ease. It's not something I've given up on completely, but I usually end up breaking stuff or otherwise somehow making the situation worse even after researching and perfectly understanding the procedure. I've even damaged a lawnmower just trying to mow the lawn.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I envy being handy enough to fix stuff around the house with relative ease. It's not something I've given up on completely, but I usually end up breaking stuff or otherwise somehow making the situation worse even after researching and perfectly understanding the procedure. I've even damaged a lawnmower just trying to mow the lawn.
You seem to have embraced the first aspect "it is fucked anyway so might as well have a look". This is good as many need to be pushed into that to start this out.

When reverse engineering items despite pulling apart maybe 1000 items so far this year (it has been a light year) and many many more times that since I was a kid, all my books covering how things work (said books starting in the 1930s and going from there) I still take it section by section trying to understand first the high level aspects of components and the nature of their interconnection before drilling down further.

Too often when I see repair tutorials it is just a technique to effect a repair rather than give an understanding of what is actually being done and reasoning for the steps. Sometimes a technique is nice to know if they hid a screw somewhere or used a sneaky snap tab on a case, or maybe a wire/ribbon that might be damaged, but try to get to the point where you can see a high level overview of the system. Makes life so much easier if you want to fix things.

As far as round the house.
If you have plasterboard/sheetrock and want to attach something to it then
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...d-plug-jar-of-400-plugs-and-400-screws-491403
They are absolutely wonderful if your item covers it enough (most things will) and much much much prefer them to any other type of fixing I have seen or used. Just remember to cut the included screw down if you are going flush with the board/wall. On cutting screws then I will cheap out on many things but get yourself a really nice set (I like the knipex red handled ones) of side cutters and you will see the difference.

If you are pulling out a nail then put a sacrificial board underneath it so it gets marred up rather than your furniture.

Epoxy resin to bond broken ceramics is cheap (the tables you see on the internet are not but eh) so get some of that and keep the superglue for sticking yourself back together when said broken ceramics cut you.

Electronics wise. Check fuses, check capacitors (big ones will keep power so be wary of them, you don't necessarily need an ESR meter as bulges and leaks give it away most of the time), check switches, check connectors, check for any nasty smoke stains, check for any leaks that cut a track or left a short somewhere, if optical drives then 90% of the time it is dust on the laser assembly so get in there with a cotton bud carefully. This is 95% of electronics repair, 4% is if nasty smoke stain/exploded chip is a thing then see if it is a non programmed part (programmable stuff is increasingly common but not dominant) and replace that and the 1% is actually hard stuff you might need some skills and tools to diagnose (though that starts with "thou shall check voltages", even if that is actually what you probably did above).
Automatic wire strippers ( https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/ck-495001-automatic-wire-stripper-3476-p.asp is my preferred style) are good stuff, leave the cheapo ones and your teeth alone. Similarly whoever invented wire nuts is second on my list after the one that decided not to include cables* with printers any more.
Also

plus everything else in that series and his older series as well for that matter (all on the same channel).

I live in the UK where replacing a plug or a lead is a 30 second job, and a box end is 2 minutes with 5-7 screws involved but if you are in the US it is still possible

*if you are heading down this path in life then it is mandatory to have a box/bag/whatever full of random cables that people might need. It will drive almost any women in your life absolutely nuts (it is like a whole rolling mass of untidy wires waiting to spring out and do whatever it is they fear will happen) but power through it.

Grinder and paint make you the welder you ain't is a common mantra, similar things exist for all manner of other aspects though for household purposes see "needle files" as they can be used to hide all manner of butchery to plastics. While you are buying needle files the same place will sell you picks so get even a cheap set of those, and if you are pushing the boat out then a set of a pin punches.

https://www.instructables.com/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/
You can turn a philips with a posidrive and vice versa. Unless you are in a cheesy film plot or hanging upside down by your ankles in somewhere unpleasant then get the right one. So many people don't and wonder why it is hard/the thing is camming out and rounding over.

Learn to hold a saw properly. As in hold it like a gun with your finger steadying it -- the wrap your hand around it and nothing else approach many employ just leaves you liable to be injured when it jumps out the cut. Related to this is also position your body. Don't saw upside down hanging on by your ankles -- work holding and positioning make life 1000 times easier if you get it right with most injuries and failures happening when not (sometimes you have to, try to minimise that).
Filling holes in wood is doable as well -- beeswax as well as glue mixed with sawdust being the primary two methods that cover most use cases. Said beeswax if melted and mixed with a tiny bit of turpentine to form a sort of paste makes an absolutely wonderful polish as well that will reawaken tired old wood better than most pills and potions I have ever used or seen used.

Similarly you don't have to make it through something in one cut with a knife. Take multiple even if you have a sharp knife.

Making holes larger with a drill is annoying, especially in plastics and thin sheet metals. Get a handyman's reamer/tapered reamer.

Every man should own a good vice/vise, or at least a vice. Also really helps with that work holding thing.

Plumbing. If it involves gas, steam, high pressure or hydraulics then leave it to someone that knows what is up as it can easily kill you. If it is just water at sensible pressures and temperatures then more fun is available.
Modern plumbing is moving away from copper (good reasons and bad) but that makes life easier still in many ways. Pipe caps and pipe connectors plus a few lengths of pipe in suitable diameter are cheap and will keep the water flowing or indeed not flowing when stopcocks and other means failed you and the plumber is days away. PTFE tape is good stuff to have (put it around that which is supposed to seal the water in, which is not always the threads -- learn what a plumbing olive is). Taps work in all manner of methods these days but tap washers are cheap and worth having a set around. Get a reasonably nice pipe cutter as well as they are basically considered disposable items. If pushing the boat out then pipe clamps are worth having.

Reactions: hippy dave

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I had the skill of knowing when to quit. Even when all hope is lost I will continue to try and fix the situation/problem. Many a time I have tried to fix a broken peice of technology when it's clear to all its fucked. Drives my partner mad that I won't just admit defeat.

Reactions: felix.200

Venia86

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Being able to say no to other people. It can be very difficult, but if you don't, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get crackin'
    Well hmm got that Eeros 6+ router working so no need for a new one for now lol
    Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, is it truly discrimination if you dislike everyone equally? like, if i dislike everyone, then am i racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc., or am i just a hater?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All of the above...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You gotta be on Psis level and hate your own people
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i meant everyone, even my own people, and myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh, well thats ok then
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (i don't dislike people, it's just a hypothe- aaaaaand i'm banned aren't i?)
    Good good let your hate flow through you!!!
    +2
    Emperor Palpetine reveals that he is trans Jewish pro abortion and drives a Prius!
    Unlimited Power!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hate fuels your cybertruck
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol