What Was Your First ROM?

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
I only just got into the scene several months ago so naturally, my first ROM was an NDS one. When I bought my SCDS1, the seller preloaded about ROMs onto the MicroSD for me so I don't really have a "first" ROM. The first ROM I did download on my own however was YGO:WC08 though.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
I find it quite sad that EVERY single person who has replied has talked about emulators.

Not even one person who's first contact with "rh0mz!!" was with a copybox and real hardware?

Mine was either a Super Magic Drive on the MD or a Wildcard on the SNES. First actual rom? - who can remember - whatever was new at the time no doubt. ;p

fatfrank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
oh man you just brought me back, it wa over 10 years ago, i wanted harvest moon for th snes so bad but we were short on money, a friend of mine had heard about roms, i looked around and finally found it, i was so happy! Now i suffer from the pirate syndrome and my life is shit! cause i don't enjoy games anymore (except the PW series)
wink.gif

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Sonic & Knuckles!

That was in 1997 I think.. I went to a friend's house and he was playing it on his computer, I thought "ZOMG WTF!? HOW YOU DO THAT!?", then he told me that he had that program that could run the game and I got the ROM and emulator (Genecyst).. and that's how I was introduced to the magic world of emulation
tongue.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donkey Kong Country was my first rom. It was about 2003 and I was forced to sell my SNES and GBA (and all my games) to support my mother. I had also just bought the GBA version of DKC and remember being ultra-pissed at how bad the port was. So I was all pissed about having to sell my games and systems.

I had read a while back that it was possible to get console games on PC (in an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly no less). So I looked and looked and slowly learned about emulators and roms in a very short time. I didn't have a clue how to do it at first, and I unwittingly downloaded SNES9X somehow. For a few days, I didn't realize that I needed a rom file to act as a game. And I finally found one. I actually ran around the house screaming I GOT DONKEY KONG COUNTRY ON MY PC......yeah, I was that immature at 14. So after that, I was able to do SNES on my PC.

And then I graduated to Genesis, GBA (although those never ran very well on my PC), and to my delight, N64! I've come a long way with it and have in turn, far enhanced my knowledge of computers. I guess I was never bad at computers. I was an expert at using DOS prompts as a 4-year-old. But kudos and high thanks to the developers of emulators and all programmers, for whom I would never have been able to do this without!
bow.gif

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Commodor 64, Giana Sisters then Elevator Action, but I didnt actually noticed I was already emulating because I had that disk from a PC Gamer Magazine.
First downloaded was USA. SMB2, when I went to classic gaming at 1996.

Offtopic:
tinymonkeyt said:
i remember playing hamtaro
and i played like everyday cuz it was so fun to me back then
and then one day, he deletes it or something
and i cry about my long lost deleted game lol
Those Hamtaro games were so underated, they were the best rpg/adventure/sport games I haved played on the portable back on those days.
Today the DS hamtaro just plainly suck, I didnt actually gave it a chance.
frown.gif

Oh well better emulate those hamha games once more then
tongue.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
My first rom was Pokemon Ruby for the GBA. I played it in VisualBoyAdvance.

I had bought the Pokemon-games for the GB/C, but it was really taking to long before Ruby came out in Europe. A friend of mine told me he actually already had this game on his computer. I guess it must have been the American version or something...

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow its been so long... i think it was the pokemon games from back in the day... red blue and yellow... though i owned all 3 of them at one point... but my bitch mother would take my gameboy away from me when she got mad at me for something lol and off to the computer id go lol

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Broken Skye said:
Solomon's... something for the GameBoy. I got it from my cousin.

Solomon's Key
happy.gif

My first time... back in 1994/95 I found a Game Boy emulator by a guy named John Stiles, I think it was 'Virtual Game Boy', and my first game was Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. I was happy
smile.gif

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
ROM pre-loaded in a cartridge: Pokemon Gold. You know, them "35-in-1" style cartridge and I'm pretty certain they're ROMs.

ROM I DL'ed myself: What was the first ROM I put in my mate's R4... More Brain Training/Brain Age 2...

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In the early ninety's , I went to visit a friend of mine that I didn't see in a long time.
We grew up together and he's the one who tought me everything I new about computers.
He also made me by a Sinclair ZX Spectrum around 1984 because he thought that the overall architecture was better then the C64 ( which every other kid had in school at the time ) while he had an MSX, and later on he got himself an MSX2, 2+,an Atari ST, then an Amiga and finally he decided that he needed more clock speed and moved to PC. His family was doing well economically and he was the only child, his parents were very generous to him * maybe compensating for something?).
While all I got in those years was an humble Spectrum +2, and then his imported MSX2+ second hand.
Of course at that time there were lots of disputes over which computer was better, but never the less the years went by and when I went to see him after a long time ( but still those rivalry weren't forgotten ), he was surprisingly playing the Spectrum version of Space harrier on his PC !
I was stunned, as I never had the chance to import or pirate that game for myself, and there he was, playing it on his PC with the beep sound realistically coming out of the computer beeper !
I was confused, and then he explained to me what it was.
Basically there was the spectrum rom embedded into this ' emulator ' and it was exactly 32KB.
I had a crappy laptop at home, geez I don't even remember if it was 286 or 386, but anyway I grabbed " that rom " along with a cd-rom that he made for me with an early build of MAME and a few hindreds games for it, a PC engine shareware emulator ( which turned out to be one of the best ever and is still updated today ) and a nes emulator with about 60 games, plus I believe there was a master system in there with 10- 15 games, I still keep that CD rom nowadays !.
So that's how it started , and that's my official first ROM, even though it wasn't strictly a game so to speak, the magic was there and the damage was done , I became a pirate already !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa sounds wish we could see Randy on south park do that , drinking the peach vodka
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, im more of a casual south park fan, i dont watch it that often
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its gluten free
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol it's too offensive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh not that good, not many alcohols taste good in tea. At least I haven't found any.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that peach alcohol in cans tasted like crap
  • F @ foresthag:
    You could fermen(tea). That'd taste excellent. Or make you go blind, who is to say?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Twisted tea iirc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only one I liked was that mikes hard lemonade tea, but i couldn't drink it all day
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, gonna make a jumping sprite
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add platform character behavior to any sprite, just disable the default controls for it, and make it jump/move in your code. The rectangle behavior is cool too for enemies.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, how is it cool?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i meant jumping sprite for the player
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It makes it move around constantly in different directions, like a enemy moving back n forth from one side to other
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i dont think the rectangular movement behavior works for platform games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it does. And you can add platform character behavior to your own charcter, and it will have move and jump already setup for you, space bar is jump, arrows move
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i already added the platform character behaviour to the player since i started doing this
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and already set up animations for when he shoots both standing and walking
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty you could
    add alcohol to the game too
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, one of the curative items has the internal name of "beer"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    although it looks like a coke can
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty what is the game based on
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    what was the inspiration
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, based on my ideas i'd say mega man games (probably mega man zero mainly)
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I had some ideas for megaman based game
    S @ salazarcosplay: I had some ideas for megaman based game