What will happen when video game graphics get to the point where they can't get any better?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
perfect Physics and perfect hitboxes hopefully.
Screw better hitboxes, I like them being all wonky in some games, gives them a good challenge, otherwise Plesioth in the old MH games would be a joke:P Make all hitboxes really tight in games and you take most challenge out of it, so only way you can balance the difficulty would be to make the bosses spammy with AoE attacks:/

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Screw better hitboxes, I like them being all wonky in some games, gives them a good challenge, otherwise Plesioth in the old MH games would be a joke:P Make all hitboxes really tight in games and you take most challenge out of it, so only way you can balance the difficulty would be to make the bosses spammy with AoE attacks:/
Wacky hitboxes don't make it challenging, they make it annoying. There's tons of ways to make fights challenging yet not frustrating (unless you can't do it i guess)

Reactions: KingVamp

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Wacky hitboxes don't make it challenging, they make it annoying. There's tons of ways to make fights challenging yet not frustrating (unless you can't do it i guess)
Most games with tight hitboxes have to resort to scummy bosses/enemies to balance the difficulty and end up being bad games overall because of it. If you take the half a minute that's needed to learn the wacky hitboxes, then they aren't annoying and you just adjust your playstyle accordingly, simple.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Most games with tight hitboxes have to resort to scummy bosses/enemies to balance the difficulty and end up being bad games overall because of it. If you take the half a minute that's needed to learn the wacky hitboxes, then they aren't annoying and you just adjust your playstyle accordingly, simple.
So bosses with hitboxes that don't work are OK, but other kinds of difficulties are scummy. Makes no sense.

Reactions: KingVamp

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So bosses with hitboxes that don't work are OK, but other kinds of difficulties are scummy. Makes no sense.
When did I say ANYTHING CLOSE to that?:/ It's one thing for hitboxes to not be extremely tight and a whole different for them to be completely non-working/broken (not as in OP, actually broken). Let's see ways to make bosses hard you can have in games:
-TONS of HP or hitting incredibly hard (one shot scumminess or sponge-bosses that make you wonder why you are wasting your time on the game)
-Dirty status moves that make the fight broken and not fun at all (some status is fine but when you got status-spam it's not fun)
-Hitboxes not being incredibly tight (not a bad way and makes you play a bit more carefully than letting you get away with button-mashing)
-Incredibly complicated AI and movement patterns (too hard and time consuming to code for even one boss, let alone for an entire game, so unless it's a huge budge one, all the bosses will play exactly the same making it boring)

So there you have it, not having incredibly tight hitboxes is the best way besides incredibly advanced and complicated AI to raise the difficulty. If you got a way to increase difficulty WITHOUT buffing stats to ridiculous degrees or giving the bosses scummy status-inflicting moves, then let me know. Remember, games are supposed to be FUN, not annoying:P

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
perfect Physics and perfect hitboxes hopefully.
Coming to you on a game server in 2028:

Player: OMG!!! Playerunknown's battleground: return of the apocalypse is SO HYPER REALISTIC! It's like I'm playing in my own back yard...if my back yard overviewed a massive black hole that's the center of a hurricane containing sharks! :hrth:
Player: ...and if back yards were affordable in these economical times

<meanwhile, about a parsec or so away>

Player 2: <*aims*>
Player 2: <*fires*>

Player 1: OUCH! I'm hit in the low end of my left...antebrachium muscle? Damnit! now I can't use this arm to steady my aim with my right hand anymore! :angry:
Player: ...better hide behind this chest-high wall until it heals itself.

Reactions: ThoD

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
We've already reached the point of diminishing returns on graphics, which is why PS4 Pro and XB1X aren't selling like they're a whole new generation. It's also why the market has become much more saturated with indie games. High-end graphics take a lot more time and investment to create, and very often don't see profit high enough to make up for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...