Gaming What You Like/Dislike About The 3DS

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
What does that matter? They were never gonna give you access to the internal NAND, so all that could do is turn your 3DS into a card reader. How's a lack of a built in SD card adapter a major dislike/

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
What does that matter? They were never gonna give you access to the internal NAND, so all that could do is turn your 3DS into a card reader. How's a lack of a built in SD card adapter a major dislike/

Were you referring to me?
By SD card adaptor you mean card reader?

The PSP can be connected to the computer without giving access to internal NAND (I wasn't even remotely suggesting access to internal NAND).
Simply the easy ability to connect to a computer and be able to load content on the SD memory card.

It is far easier and far more universal than taking a memory card out and requiring a memory card slot on your computer.
Procedure:
* take memory card out of 3DS
* insert memory card in (supported) PC requiring an SD card slot
* when done, re-insert card in 3DS

Compared to:
* connect 3DS to PC with USB cable, copy content (don't worry about having a card reader or not)

Current DSi = SD card behind flimsy bendy cover (which probably won't hold up well with repeated insertions and ejects), plus you need a card reader on your PC or laptop to load anything on the SD card. Far more work and simply far less convenient and far less supported than a simple USB cable.

This is another reason why I think the 3DS won't take user-content seriously or even be serious about movies that aren't from Nintendo. It doesn't look like it's shaping up to be a 'multimedia' device like even the current PSP.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well, I have 2 card readers and most computers have card slots. You're being incredibly dramatic.

QUOTE said:
^That takes about 5 seconds.

And in any case, you still need a miniUSB adapter to plug the PSP in to the computer. I'd actually wager more people have SD card slots on their compys than people who have miniUSB adapters.

So
Direct USB connection:
-Have to have extra hardware
-Takes minimal time

No Direct Connection:
-Have to have extra hardware
-Takes minimal time

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Like:
Widescreen top screen
Power
Movies (although will be overpriced from 3DS store likely)

Dislike:
Shell design
Price
Colours (all black pls)
2 different sized screens
auto updating firmware or whatever
one analog stick (i know other nintendo consoles only have 1 too though but no good for shooters - learn from psp, nintendo)

Overall not a great one for me
I will buy when the 'Lite' comes out probably in all black

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Regarding USB, I think USB has potential when you can use it to stream video with 3DS camera.

But I'll have to agree with Midna, USB solely for SD is not practical.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
Well, I have 2 card readers and most computers have card slots. You're being incredibly dramatic.

QUOTE said:
^That takes about 5 seconds.

Exaggeration. Placing it out of one device probably takes that. Then putting it in another one (assuming you have a slot), then returning it back to the device. 5 seconds? Love to see you pull that off. Even if it were 5 seconds (which it clearly isn't anywhere close to), it's far less convenient than a simple cable.

QUOTE(Midna @ Nov 9 2010, 10:45 AM)
And in any case, you still need a miniUSB adapter to plug the PSP in to the computer.

You bundle a cheap MicroUSB or MiniB-USB cable as do digital cameras, mobile phones, external USB drives.

You can bundle a reader for the 3DS as well, but that costs the companies far more than a cable - even the cheaper smaller ones that only read from one format are more expensive than a cable. It doesn't take a genius to work that one out.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
trumpet-205 said:
Regarding USB, I think USB has potential when you can use it to stream video with 3DS camera.

But I'll have to agree with Midna, USB solely for SD is not practical.

Not practical how? The current PSP allows drag-n-drop videos, music and pictures to the device with USB. Would you rather take out the Memory Stick, find a reader for your PC (or buy one), stick it in there, then take it out and return it to your PSP?

Which is more practical?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not practical when it comes cost.

Nintendo will not add USB port for the sake of SD reader. The benefit from this does not outweigh the cost associated from it.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Actually I just tried it. I timed myself taking my SD card out of my camera (similar system to DSi), putting it in my reader, then replacing it. 5 seconds exactly.

You are forgetting one thing though. Ya gotta build a USB port on to the 3DS motherboard, in addition to including a cable.

Edit: ninja'd on that^ point.

Double edit: I'm not liking your wording. Right there you emphasized all the things your PSP can do with USB, quietly ignoring the fact that all the same things apply with a card reader. And this is different, actually, because SD is widespread and mainstream. Most computers actually have built in SD slots by default. And before, you split the card reader "steps" into 3, leaving the cable steps at one. I could have put your cable instructions into half a dozen steps if i wanted to. And you should know, I have to hunt down a MiniUSB cable every time I do a PSP file transfer.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have to agree with foob with this one unless you got a bad USB...
laugh.gif

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
trumpet-205 said:
Not practical when it comes cost.

Nintendo will not add USB port for the sake of SD reader. The benefit from this does not outweigh the cost associated from it.

I think the benefits more than outweight the tiny additional cost. Almost every device has a USB connector (and cable) nowadays. You can get $5 USB enclosures for SATA hard drives on ebay, delivered from China. Gives you some idea of the chip and connector costs. In volumes it's truly insignificant.

Cost would be very minimal and the benefits would be huge for a multimedia device, which really underlines my point:
Nintendo are not really focusing on multimedia for this device.

If I had to guess I'd say that we won't be able to upload our own MP4 videos to the device (aside from AAC audio perhaps, like the current DSi).
They are the kings of shaving costs. Meanwhile almost any phone with a USB connector can do it and the PSP has been doing it for 5+ years.

Right now we have a very odd bendy flap to pull down and keep pulled down so we can try to eject an SD card to put some music (and no video) on it. Silly, but I expect the same on the 3DS.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Consider the licensing fees from that sort of support.

Additionally, you are going to be able to get 3D movies from Nintendo. Perhaps not as fun as spending a few hours downloading and encoding a 2D video (time you could have spent watching it) to watch on the system, but still.

Edit: You do know Nintendo has never focused on multimedia, right? Systems that only do everything is Sony's field.
(Jack of all trades is a master of none, BTW.)

Further Edit: That bendy flap you keep emphasizing, as if the SD card covering is somehow taking away from its performance, is also used on my PSP 1000.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
Actually I just tried it. I timed myself taking my SD card out of my camera (similar system to DSi), putting it in my reader, then replacing it. 5 seconds exactly.

You are forgetting one thing though. Ya gotta build a USB port on to the 3DS motherboard, in addition to including a cable.

Edit: ninja'd on that^ point.

Double edit: I'm not liking your wording. Right there you emphasized all the things your PSP can do with USB, quietly ignoring the fact that all the same things apply with a card reader. And this is different, actually, because SD is widespread and mainstream. Most computers actually have built in SD slots by default. And before, you split the card reader "steps" into 3, leaving the cable steps at one. I could have put your cable instructions into half a dozen steps if i wanted to. And you should know, I have to hunt down a MiniUSB cable every time I do a PSP file transfer.

Very few desktop machines come with card readers, so I disagree with your assertion of "most". A lot of people with laptops that may have an SD card slot also have never used one and don't even know what to do with theirs. A cable is the far more sensible choice.

Look at it this way
If you were a manufacturer and had to choose the most trouble-free and working solution to your customers who you weren't sure if they had an SD card slot on their computer and you didn't want to hire more Support people to answer stupid questions about SD card slot issues, what would you choose? Remember we are talking the average person here and real money being wasted hiring Support staff.

You could argue that Nintendo shouldn't even offer this feature and not have to answer any questions, I guess. Just like they do
smile.gif
But seriously, a next-gen console not having USB cable support while almost every other device on sale today allows easy interfacing with the PC via USB (either through proprietary cable or standards)?

PS. I am glad you went out of your way to 'prove' yourself in the 5-Second Olympics, but sorry, for most people that aren't hell-bent on competing in Olympics it's more than that and it's still less convenient and more reliant on hardware lots don't have.

Connecting a cable is far less work. I can stretch that to two steps if you want:
1) connect cable to device
2) connect other end of cable to computer

If you can turn those steps into half a dozen steps, do so. It would be a comical exaggeration, just like your 5 second olympics.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
How can an action be an exaggeration? You claim i couldn't have done it? Also...

Remember to update PSP files
Start looking for MiniUSB cable
Find MiniUSB cable under bed
Pick up MiniUSB cable
Walk to computer
Plug in USB side to computer
Realise you've left PSP on bed
Walk upstairs
Pick up PSP
Walk downstairs
Plug cable into PSP
Load files
Unplug cable from PSP

Silly points proving aside, this is nitpicking, and you've already listed it as a huge negative for the 3DS. Which is ridiculous.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
I think that the PSP has a usb port because Sony knows that the Memory stick isnt as widespread as the SD, since they are practically the only company using it.

SD, well, lots of devices use it so chances are you may already have an adapter for it. If not, well its probably time for you to have one.

Though i agree a usb port in the 3DS is convenient, it would cost us more and judging from the fact that the 3DS is already rather expensive, I think I could live with the inconvenience of not having a usb port.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Jack of all trades is a master of none, BTW.
Dayum.

Anyway, I have no dislikes for the system at all, save for MAYBE the price, but oh well. As for the whole "unbreakable antipiracy" thing, I couldn't care; I'm a collector, so I always buy good games.

Also, about the whole cable thing, reader or not, getting the devices connected in general is hardly any work at all, unless you're REALLY lazy. So I don't see what this whole debate is about.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
Consider the licensing fees from that sort of support.
Zero royalties. It only costs a recurring fee to become a member of the USB-IF and use the logo and get a vendor ID (and of course pay for the hardware to use it in your product).
http://www.usb.org/developers/vendor/
There are no actual royalties on the devices you put out, per se.

I welcome corrections.

Midna said:
Additionally, you are going to be able to get 3D movies from Nintendo. Perhaps not as fun as spending a few hours downloading and encoding a 2D video (time you could have spent watching it) to watch on the system, but still.

Perhaps not as fun as saving MP4s which play directly off many sites, too.

Now you are arguing the time it takes to encode (how long is a piece of string?) and suggesting where you think time could be better spent? Funny. Yes, let's not progress with a simple USB connection that even cheap devices have because we are Nintendo and our next-gen portable shouldn't have that
smile.gif

Re-conversion from MP4 downloads not compliant with PSP often takes minutes if they are in an MP4 format the PSP can't play, by the way.

Midna said:
Edit: You do know Nintendo has never focused on multimedia, right? Systems that only do everything is Sony's field.

I'm well aware of that. Does that mean things should never change? It's 2010. That's my whole point. Hence being a 'dislike'.

QUOTE(Midna @ Nov 9 2010, 12:29 PM) (Jack of all trades is a master of none, BTW.)

Jack of all trades, master of none? Well, that's great we have your opinion there
smile.gif
Nintendo is master of...? Gaming? I can sure argue there are some better games on PSP versus DS in some genres, as can anyone argue the opposite. Both are good at different things.

Nintendo is master of Music playback? Portable movie playback? Pic viewing? Sound quality? I can argue Nintendo is master of none, too. I always love it when people turn a simple dislike and extrapolate that into a fanboy war. I like both for different reasons.

QUOTE(Midna @ Nov 9 2010, 12:29 PM)
Further Edit: That bendy flap you keep emphasizing, as if the SD card covering is somehow taking away from its performance, is also used on my PSP 1000.

Did I say a flap takes away from its performance? Show me where I said that. I love that the flap keeps dust out. I don't like that it's an inconvenience and I think it can be much better implemented. The point (again) being it's an inconvenience and absolute second-class option compared to a simple USB cable connection like on the PSP (in my opinion). Hence 'dislike'.

So let's wait and see what will happen, but my money's on Nintendo again going cheap here and not really taking the 3DS to the levels of a portable pic/movie/music player as we can see in almost every other portable electronic device with a display on it these days. If it does have it, it probably won't be pushed, much like Sony don't really push other aspects of the PSP but were up to the user to discover.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Totally Nutz :rofl2: +1